PDA

View Full Version : How do I fire my personal trainer? & A Big Thank you!!

fittguy
02-26-2010, 04:07 PM
I have had more than 5 trainers now, and I'm still carrying the extra weight (although much less) I have had all my life, although much less now.

I am on my 5th trainer and he is a little younger than me. Not to sound arrogant, but I know more than the guy. I have 13 classes left, after taking 3 months break from him, because he's useless. I excercise on my own at another gym to avoid him.

I have not fired him because he really likes me and want to help. I tried switching to early morning session to change trainers, but he decided he would find time in the mornings to work with me.

Two weeks I came here, and one sentence said by one of the trainers in this forum changed my attitude. The person said how the first thing he asks his client is 'how is your diet?" No trainer has never asked me that. All just came with an exercise plan, even though I've told them about my 15 years gym, and marathon experience. None have realized that my diet has been fcuking me all these years. I wish a trainer would have decline my application to be a client, after realizing I was not mentally ready to change my diet. I have also been mentally ready for exercise. I love the gym and running.

So, thank you to the trainer who's simple words changed my thinking. I have been anal about what I eat.. eating right for my body in controlled amounts.. I am also hitting the gym and running 30 mins -40 mins). I should probably run more, but some trainers here seems to agree that one will burn more fat with high intensity weight workout as oppose to running?

Anyway, how to I fire my trainer. A nice guy, but I think I'm better off alone or with another trainer. He would be embarassed if I chose someone else at his gym. He's a nice guy, but after 11 sessions now, he's just not working.

Thanks and sorry for the long message.. Didn't plan to write this long.

BSCSCS
02-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Congratulations on coming to the realization that D I E T is the most important aspect in losing weight. Shame on all of your trainers not even mentioning diet to you.

Did this trainer sell the training to you or did you purchase it from someone in sales? If you purchased it from the trainer, then I'd say you have somewhat of a responsibility to finish out your sessions with him, albeit not a total obligation. If you purchased it from someone in sales and just got paired with this trainer then I'd say you have absolutely zero obligation to stay with him. Just explain to the fitness manager that you need a change and it shouldn't be a problem. Not every trainer is a good fit for every client.

Honestly, if you are avoiding the guy and working out on your own, he might be glad to get rid of you as you might have become a bit of a headache for him.

Perhaps you could exchange your PT sessions for some with an RD if they have one at the club? It seems that you have your exercise program in order and the real reason you have not seen the results you want is your diet.

Good Luck!

Jbonito
02-26-2010, 04:44 PM
First thing CALM DOWN. Don't focus soooo much on your goals like you are. Added stress also can lead to weight issues. So by dwelling on it like you are is not healthy and won't help you reach your goals. Diet is very key and I am surprised that your trainer didn't ask you, that should be one of the first things discussed.

But about firing your trainer just be straight with him. Tell him how you feel he is not the fit for your needs. Yes he will be hurt or disappointed, but its better to tell him the truth then have him find out you lied about your reasons for stopping. The big thing with personal training is it has to feel right from the clients end as well as the trainer for it to be successful. This is clearly not the case for you so just say it he will get over it.

Good luck and enjoy life!

X-Mark-X
02-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Well in his defense, personal trainers are not dietitians. At some clubs trainers are discouraged from giving any diet advice at all. Quite frankly I have no idea how you have been trying to lose the weight for 13 years and you just now realized diet was the most important factor. Especially after you lost 50lbs from eating less.

Most trainer's struggle with the fact that, despite having great workouts, their clients don't reach their goals because they don't have the discipline to control their diets. Shame on your trainers if they never even mentioned that you should be eating less to lose weight, but honestly I think you knew that already. It's up to you to get your diet in check. A trainer can offer you some general guidelines or answer some questions, but nothing you can't figure out on your own using google (or this board). It's up to you to actually do it!

Good luck.

geoff.lu
02-26-2010, 04:54 PM
man up and fire him.... its your money and you are paying for it

tell the gym you want an experience trainer... cause most gym just hire anyone who just get their cert....

if diet is your problem go see a dietitian($1000-2000??).... or nutritionist($100-500)..... most gym will want to charge extra for their meal plan program.... if you do go with the gyms meal plan make sure its not the same one they give out to everyone....

a good meal plan is created according to your body type, fitness goal and training program.... and monitor every 1-2 week depend on how your body is changing....

fittguy
02-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Actually, the trainer was recommended to me. I had my reservations at first, but, I hired because during the free session, he had worked so hard to try to impress me. I wasn't impressed, after all, I have been through numerous trainer, but, couldn't say no to him.. afterall, I didn't want him to lose "face" in front of the other trainers..

I have had trainers in the past who, after I decided not to hire them, give me the dirty look. One guy to this day still give me a dirty look. He gave me 2 free sessions, but I didn't think he was right for me.

I don't want to create more enemies.

Congratulations on coming to the realization that D I E T is the most important aspect in losing weight. Shame on all of your trainers not even mentioning diet to you.

Did this trainer sell the training to you or did you purchase it from someone in sales? If you purchased it from the trainer, then I'd say you have somewhat of a responsibility to finish out your sessions with him, albeit not a total obligation. If you purchased it from someone in sales and just got paired with this trainer then I'd say you have absolutely zero obligation to stay with him. Just explain to the fitness manager that you need a change and it shouldn't be a problem. Not every trainer is a good fit for every client.

Honestly, if you are avoiding the guy and working out on your own, he might be glad to get rid of you as you might have become a bit of a headache for him.

Perhaps you could exchange your PT sessions for some with an RD if they have one at the club? It seems that you have your exercise program in order and the real reason you have not seen the results you want is your diet.

Good Luck!

fittguy
02-26-2010, 11:17 PM
Dude, I can't calm down. I have spent 15 years in the gym, have spent thousands on almost putting me in debt and have suffered mentally all my life. I did have superficial goals in the past, but, not I just want to have the lean body to match my fitness level. Again, I'm pretty fit, but carrying extra weight that I have carried all my life.

Yes, God bless the trainer on here who wrote the words that somehow stuck this time. "Diet is most important."

I spent 15 years believing that if I spent 2-3 hours in the gym, ran 6-9 miles per day, I would have the lean/muscular physique I desire. I was wrong.

Since reading the sentence about diet 2 weeks ago, I feel amazing. I'm even starting to see more definition.

Thansk for your help!

cheers

First thing CALM DOWN. Don't focus soooo much on your goals like you are. Added stress also can lead to weight issues. So by dwelling on it like you are is not healthy and won't help you reach your goals. Diet is very key and I am surprised that your trainer didn't ask you, that should be one of the first things discussed.

But about firing your trainer just be straight with him. Tell him how you feel he is not the fit for your needs. Yes he will be hurt or disappointed, but its better to tell him the truth then have him find out you lied about your reasons for stopping. The big thing with personal training is it has to feel right from the clients end as well as the trainer for it to be successful. This is clearly not the case for you so just say it he will get over it.

Good luck and enjoy life!

fittguy
02-26-2010, 11:24 PM
He man, its not easy to fire him. Firing him would cause him to lose face in front of all the other trainers. He's suppose to be one of the very best, but I'm not feeling him.

I've dropped hints left and right before about not being satisfied.

1. I work out alone before and after his sessions, because I'm never tired after we're done.

2. I cancel classess

3. I recently tried switching to mornings, first hour of club opening, but this guy is determined to stick with me.

Again, I enjoy conversing with him during workouts, but I need more.. I long for the day I could have a Gym Jones trainer

man up and fire him.... its your money and you are paying for it

tell the gym you want an experience trainer... cause most gym just hire anyone who just get their cert....

if diet is your problem go see a dietitian($1000-2000??).... or nutritionist($100-500)..... most gym will want to charge extra for their meal plan program.... if you do go with the gyms meal plan make sure its not the same one they give out to everyone....

a good meal plan is created according to your body type, fitness goal and training program.... and monitor every 1-2 week depend on how your body is changing....

MonsterMikeLB
02-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Look I am not trying to be critical of you at all, but this is not all the trainers fault. You need to understand that trainers will give you a routine in the gym and expect you to do it, and it is your responsibility to maintain a healthy lifestyle outside of the gym. The five trainers that you have been through cannot all be bad, and you just need to find out what type of trainer, or lack thereof, works for you. It took you fifteen years to learn that diet is important, and eating right outside of the gym is something that a trainer has no control over. Having said that, trainers should discuss diet with you, but it is your responsibility to create a diet that will help you achieve your desired results.

You did ask for advice on how to fire your trainer, so I think that you should just be honest with him. You believe that you will be better off without him, and your new found understanding of diet is the missing piece that you were looking for. He will be hurt, but if he is worth anything he will understand that the client is most important. He might even be relieved, cause he might have started to feel some pressure since you weren't seeing the results that you guys had expected.

For the future, I recommend that you not feel obligated to sign a deal with the trainer just because he/she gave you a free session. Do not waste your money or the trainer's time just because you got a trial class. Trainers have many clients, and they understand that different people work well for different people.

Once again, I am not trying to criticize you, I am just offering my opinion on the situation. Good luck with your training and nutrition.

fittguy
02-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks dude! But I wish trainers would at least be more honest with clients.. I have had 5, and as I mentioned before, I had a trainer that got me to 190lbs with muscle. However, I moved on after I realized he was too exausted to give a proper sessions. Although he always insisted he was fine and not tired, I didn't believe him. Afterall, what trainer drops the bar on your chest while working out.. 10 clients a day was no big deal he said... go figure.

Again, trainers should be up front with client. Had a trainer told me point blank that I need to get my diet in order and refused to work with me until I was serious about having a better diet, I would have saved hundreds and have been better off.

One trainer here mentioned that he doesn't work with a client unless he/she is serious about having a proper diet.. BRAVO to the trainer.

I implore trainers to be more serious about their clients and to hold their clients accountable. Have the clients account for what they eat..

Honestly, I would kill for a trainer who held me accountable in terms of diet... #1. It would show me he does care about truly helping me. Bitch me out if I screw up, or send me home If I lack motivation.. However, most don't do this because it's the client lost... the trainer still gets paid, ****ty workout or not.

SUCKS!!!

Look I am not trying to be critical of you at all, but this is not all the trainers fault. You need to understand that trainers will give you a routine in the gym and expect you to do it, and it is your responsibility to maintain a healthy lifestyle outside of the gym. The five trainers that you have been through cannot all be bad, and you just need to find out what type of trainer, or lack thereof, works for you. It took you fifteen years to learn that diet is important, and eating right outside of the gym is something that a trainer has no control over. Having said that, trainers should discuss diet with you, but it is your responsibility to create a diet that will help you achieve your desired results.

You did ask for advice on how to fire your trainer, so I think that you should just be honest with him. You believe that you will be better off without him, and your new found understanding of diet is the missing piece that you were looking for. He will be hurt, but if he is worth anything he will understand that the client is most important. He might even be relieved, cause he might have started to feel some pressure since you weren't seeing the results that you guys had expected.

For the future, I recommend that you not feel obligated to sign a deal with the trainer just because he/she gave you a free session. Do not waste your money or the trainer's time just because you got a trial class. Trainers have many clients, and they understand that different people work well for different people.

Once again, I am not trying to criticize you, I am just offering my opinion on the situation. Good luck with your training and nutrition.

geoff.lu
02-27-2010, 12:29 AM
He man, its not easy to fire him. Firing him would cause him to lose face in front of all the other trainers. He's suppose to be one of the very best, but I'm not feeling him.

I've dropped hints left and right before about not being satisfied.

1. I work out alone before and after his sessions, because I'm never tired after we're done.

2. I cancel classess

3. I recently tried switching to mornings, first hour of club opening, but this guy is determined to stick with me.

Again, I enjoy conversing with him during workouts, but I need more.. I long for the day I could have a Gym Jones trainer

might want to look for independent trainers... they are usually better then your average gym trainer....

If you are already doing those things the trainer probably hate you already.. lol....

if you want to lie... just tell him you need a break from personal training.... you have money, family, emotional, etc problems now and you'll call him to start trainer when you are ready

askthetrainer
02-27-2010, 12:54 AM
I have had more than 5 trainers now, and I'm still carrying the extra weight (although much less) I have had all my life, although much less now.

I am on my 5th trainer and he is a little younger than me. Not to sound arrogant, but I know more than the guy. I have 13 classes left, after taking 3 months break from him, because he's useless. I excercise on my own at another gym to avoid him.

I have not fired him because he really likes me and want to help. I tried switching to early morning session to change trainers, but he decided he would find time in the mornings to work with me.

Two weeks I came here, and one sentence said by one of the trainers in this forum changed my attitude. The person said how the first thing he asks his client is 'how is your diet?" No trainer has never asked me that. All just came with an exercise plan, even though I've told them about my 15 years gym, and marathon experience. None have realized that my diet has been fcuking me all these years. I wish a trainer would have decline my application to be a client, after realizing I was not mentally ready to change my diet. I have also been mentally ready for exercise. I love the gym and running.

So, thank you to the trainer who's simple words changed my thinking. I have been anal about what I eat.. eating right for my body in controlled amounts.. I am also hitting the gym and running 30 mins -40 mins). I should probably run more, but some trainers here seems to agree that one will burn more fat with high intensity weight workout as oppose to running?

Anyway, how to I fire my trainer. A nice guy, but I think I'm better off alone or with another trainer. He would be embarassed if I chose someone else at his gym. He's a nice guy, but after 11 sessions now, he's just not working.

It sounds like you need a plastic surgeon more than a trainer to me...

fittguy
02-27-2010, 01:12 AM
ok!

I'm also surprise to hear this from such an excellent trainer as yourself.... but, I don't think so. The problem has been solved... Some other excellent trainer here pinpointed the problem.

Thanls

It sounds like you need a plastic surgeon more than a trainer to me...

askthetrainer
02-27-2010, 01:45 AM
ok!

I'm also surprise to hear this from such an excellent trainer as yourself.... but, I don't think so. The problem has been solved... Some other excellent trainer here pinpointed the problem.

Thanls

I meant plastic surgeon and/or psychologist

fittguy
02-27-2010, 03:55 AM
thanks for your invaluable input~

cheers

I meant plastic surgeon and/or psychologist

mattyoung92
02-27-2010, 06:01 AM

If it took you 15 years to figure out the magic rule of calories in vs calories out than lets be honest you couldn't have been all that serious about your fat loss quest in the first place....i mean you can google how to lose fat or almost any variation on this and you'll get the plain and simple answer of dont consum more calories than you can store in the form of liver and or muscle glycogen. or simply put "dont eat more than you BMR"

johnderriLLL
02-27-2010, 08:18 AM
yea just tell him how you really feel. your paying for it so you should be happy with the results.