PDA

View Full Version : Should I pause in contraction?

spartanclone001
02-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Hello B.B.Com forum users,

My Gym has this exercise station for the Abdominal and Obliques:
http://www.abcoreinc.com/

Once I bring my knees and upper body to form a crunch movement, should I then pause in the contracted position? I would say: Yes. Similar to a Crunch, I always pause at the contracted position to maximize the effectiveness of the exercise. However, I just wanted to make sure and it's always good to hear from other users experiences.

Thank you for reading!

Jimbo.
02-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Hello B.B.Com forum users,

My Gym has this exercise station for the Abdominal and Obliques:
http://www.abcoreinc.com/

Once I bring my knees and upper body to form a crunch movement, should I then pause in the contracted position? I would say: Yes. Similar to a Crunch, I always pause at the contracted position to maximize the effectiveness of the exercise. However, I just wanted to make sure and it's always good to hear from other users experiences.

Thank you for reading!

theres a whole forum for exercise questions, spartan, this ain't it

but do whatever feels good man

thedickus
02-26-2010, 11:54 AM
I've always felt that any crunching motion, machine or bodyweight, should be performed very slowly. As you begin to curl your trunk blow all the air out of your mouth, emptying your diaphram to allow a better contraction (this portion should take 2 seconds). At the contraction point hold the abs contracted and squeeze them like you're bracing to be punched in the stomach for another 2 seconds. As you slowly return to the starting position inhale through your nose, this should take another 2 seconds. Each rep should take about 6 seconds and the important part is to really squeeze/contract your abs.

spartanclone001
02-26-2010, 12:02 PM
theres a whole forum for exercise questions, spartan, this ain't it

but do whatever feels good man

This is "workout equipment" section, correct? I assumed this would be the appropriate place to post a question. It is a piece of equipment. :-)

cgc
02-26-2010, 12:25 PM
This is "workout equipment" section, correct? I assumed this would be the appropriate place to post a question. It is a piece of equipment. :-)

Yeah, but you're not asking anything about the piece of equipment....you're asking how to preform the exercise....
I have to agree with jimbo...

However, I personally would pause/contract.....but then again, I've never liked those pieces of equipment anyways.