PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifts

phylisrn
01-15-2010, 10:20 AM
I have incorporated deadlifts into my routine and I can barely walk the next day!
My quads are feel like jello... the problem is I am so trying to build my glutes and I dont feel any pain in my glutes. I am going down as low as I can.
Do you think I need to change my form to get glute soreness?

Thanks

Zero_Degreez
01-15-2010, 11:10 AM
I think if you take a wide stance so that your legs are spread far apart to the sides with your arms reaching down inside them, it targets your gluteal muscles. This is known as the sumo deadlift.

juliacheh
01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Soreness is not an indicator of building muscles.

bashbegginer
01-15-2010, 12:18 PM
try sldl's then bro

ives
01-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I have incorporated deadlifts into my routine and I can barely walk the next day!
My quads are feel like jello... the problem is I am so trying to build my glutes and I dont feel any pain in my glutes. I am going down as low as I can.

Thanks

Try a DL variation like stiff-legged deadlifts or Romanian deadlifts. Those motions are less a matter of "knee-straightening" (as in regular DL's, which is quad-centric motion) and more "unbending-yourself-at-the-hip" which is more of a hamstring/glute action.

TankGirl08
01-15-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks

Try elevated stiff leg deads.

Better yet, how about glute ham raises! Ironic name? I think not...

DanceDiva
01-15-2010, 02:59 PM

ThanksI wonder if you form is off -- specially the hip drive at lockout.

While I agree that soreness is not a measure of effectiveness, with deadlifts I've only experienced the jello feeling in my glutes and hams never my quads.

ETA: What size plates are you using? If you are using smaller plates and not elevating them to 45s height, you may be putting your hips too low and performing more of a squat than a proper deadlift.

phylisrn
01-15-2010, 04:10 PM
I use 20 lb dumbbell in each hand. I did the sumo dl today and I felt it in my inner thigh, quads and a little in my glutes. Glad to know that soreness is not a sign of building muscle. I didn't know that.

Thanks

I wonder if you form is off -- specially the hip drive at lockout.

While I agree that soreness is not a measure of effectiveness, with deadlifts I've only experienced the jello feeling in my glutes and hams never my quads.

ETA: What size plates are you using? If you are using smaller plates and not elevating them to 45s height, you may be putting your hips too low and performing more of a squat than a proper deadlift.

KyleAaron
01-15-2010, 04:24 PM
It's very common for people to pull with their lower back rounded. This takes the glutes and hams out of the lift and puts the lower back and quads in. People do this because from their lifestyle and work of sitting on their bum, they have weak glutes and hams, and relatively strong lower back and quads. The body doesn't know muscles, it only knows movement, so when you have your body do a lift, it tries to do it in a way which uses the stronger muscles and doesn't use the weak ones.

Check your form, or better, have someone else check it. Probably you are rounding your lower back as you bend to pick up the weight.

Stand with your back against a wall now. You should be able to have your bum and upper back against the wall while at the same time slipping your hands across your lower back, should be space there. That is "good posture."

Maintain good posture during all compound lifts. This requires bracing - basically, tilt your arse out a bit to ensure that lower back curve is in, at the same time tensing your belly as though someone's going to punch you. Hold that brace during lifts.

Right now sitting at the computer, squeeze your glutes, your arse. Now stand and squeeze your glutes. Now crouch down as you would to deadlift, and do the same glute squeeze. Remember how that feels.

In a deadlift, during the first pull from the ground concentrate on the brace, along with driving through your heels with your arse. Push. The first momentum should be coming from your bum, not your knees.

halcyonnwar
01-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Deadlifts are by far my favorite exercise... sorry to steal the thread, but do you think there is harm in doing them twice per week? I do the standard (not sumo) barbell deadlift. I've been doing them heavy once per week, and switched my routine up... I'm thinking of doing them twice. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether this is a good or bad idea?

I'm trying to lose fat, but maintain muscle as best I can.

free816
01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Deadlifts are by far my favorite exercise... sorry to steal the thread, but do you think there is harm in doing them twice per week? I do the standard (not sumo) barbell deadlift. I've been doing them heavy once per week, and switched my routine up... I'm thinking of doing them twice. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether this is a good or bad idea?

I'm trying to lose fat, but maintain muscle as best I can.

once a week is plenty (imo) cant imagine wanting 2 pull 2 or 3 days later,
takes me 4 or 5 days to get over the stiffness

halcyonnwar
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I was thinking M and F. Maybe it is too soon. I felt like today's were pretty tough (this was the first week I tried this).

Maybe I should do some other similar exercise?

I was thinking of doing three lifts a week

M-Lower
W- Upper
F- Full Body

What do you think (again, sorry to hijack the thread)

KyleAaron
01-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Deadlifts are by far my favorite exercise... sorry to steal the thread, but do you think there is harm in doing them twice per week?
I have done them three times a week without trouble. But I was only doing 2x5 warmup and 3x5 work sets in each of those sessions, and the highest I went was 150% of ny bodyweight at the time.

If you were doing a higher volume, higher reps or sets, and/or doing above 150% bodyweight, you would most likely need more recovery time.

Everyone's different. Recovery is about the intensity of your workout, but it's also about your diet and rest and other things done to help recovery. Professional Olympic-style weightlifters have 10-18 sessions a week, but they also have 10,000+kcal daily, have naps between sessions, get massages after workouts, and so on.

Try it and see.

halcyonnwar
01-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks! I will try it for a while. Maybe I'll make one of them a sumo deadlift or something.

I normally do 3 x 5 @ 180-185. Maybe I will try doing lower weight and higher reps (6-10 rep range). Deadlifts are so gratifying!

LeandroD
01-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Are you properly doing the dead lifts correctly? If you are then no need to worry about being sore or not.