PDA

View Full Version : help w/calorie numbers

MGG98
01-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Hi there!

So i am officially coming off a month plus of contest rebound.....ugh!!!!!

I am trying to drop btwn 7 and10lbs the right way,but not sure if I am looking at things right and you all are such a wealth of knowledge i would appreciate the feedback.

I do have a coach that has given me my workouts to follow in my off season,but she won't touch the diet because i am in off season and she feels its best to just eat good but clean. Here is the problem.....Im a former "big girl" (240lbs was my highest) I can't just eat good and clean! I have to plan, I have a tendancy to binge and not planning does not work for me. These last 2 weeks since christmas I have tried,but I just end up eating crap, or way to little and then I binge again!

I am not looking to drop the weight over night, in fact the number on the scale doesn't bother me as much as not feeling the tighness, i just feel fluffy... so if it comes off slow and there is visual progress I am ok.

Prep diet was crazy but really easy, but it really played with super low to no carbs. I thinkin order to help my binges and to keep me from needing to munch I am going to bring back in the carbs, I tried cycling them for the last 2 weeks but I would cave and binge on tostitos...lol!

So here is my thought... And please offer up advice!

going to a40/40/20 split so protien and carbs are equal..
Calories on training days...btw 1450-1500
my break down is not exact its about 159gP/132gC/38gF..but I am working on it
non training is about 1300cal, with a little less carbs and slightly higher fat
I will do 1 cheat meal weekly on a non training day

I train (lift) 4-5 days a week with moderate intensity cardio 30 min 4days,60min 2 days.

I guess after this long drawn out post ..my question is...Are my numbers/thoughts on point?

I weigh 137, my goal is to maintain off season btwn. 127-132

Much appreciation ladies!

egoatdoor
01-09-2010, 11:05 AM
What weight did you compete at and what was your weight when you started your contest preparation period?

MGG98
01-09-2010, 12:23 PM
What weight did you compete at and what was your weight when you started your contest preparation period?

I competed at 117, I started prep 16 weeks out w/ a "cleaned up diet" at 145. Prep diet started at 14 weeks out at 141..

But I really want to hold around 127-132..

egoatdoor
01-09-2010, 02:50 PM
That was quite a rebound, 20 pounds in a month. I can see where you are coming from.

Dropping 7 pounds would probably be good.

I wonder though about eating at 14 or 15 hundred for a long period of time during the "offseason". When you get to the target weight ( a month or two?), I would start working back up to maintenance, which I'm guesstimating is about 2000.

Looking at your contest pictures, you looked dynamite. Especially in the shoulders and the ripped quads. Quite a presentation for a first contest.

Kristine-CPT
01-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Did you have a coach helping with your prep, or did you do it yourself? If you did, you could ask them for help :).

MGG98
01-09-2010, 03:40 PM
That was quite a rebound, 20 pounds in a month. I can see where you are coming from.

Dropping 7 pounds would probably be good.

I wonder though about eating at 14 or 15 hundred for a long period of time during the "offseason". When you get to the target weight ( a month or two?), I would start working back up to maintenance, which I'm guesstimating is about 2000.

Looking at your contest pictures, you looked dynamite. Especially in the shoulders and the ripped quads. Quite a presentation for a first contest.

I know 20lbs is crazy rebound!Now the117 was with water depletion, so I wasn't a TRUE 117, but still 6 weeks later im 20lbs heavier.
Again Im not looking to drop much just around 10lbs.
I am just not sure my calories are on point,and yes I would slowly increase calories closer to maintanince once I drop these last lbs.

Thank you for your compliments! I loved contest prep and being on the stage, it was a blast!

MGG98
01-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Did you have a coach helping with your prep, or did you do it yourself? If you did, you could ask them for help :).

Yep, had a coach, think I wrote about it above but basically she doesn't think i need to worry about it..No plan just eat good clean food and enjoy off season... lol! I feel I need a little more structure..

I just need to see if my calories and breakdown are on point so Im not spinning my wheels... any thoughts?

Thanks!

Kristine-CPT
01-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Yep, had a coach, think I wrote about it above but basically she doesn't think i need to worry about it..No plan just eat good clean food and enjoy off season... lol! I feel I need a little more structure..

I just need to see if my calories and breakdown are on point so Im not spinning my wheels... any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sorry! Wow, I cant believe she just told you to figure it out on your own. My coach specializes in rehabilitating clients AFTER the competition for this very reason. She is amazing, really. If you are ever interested in finding out more about her, just PM me and I can give you some details :)

MGG98
01-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Sorry! Wow, I cant believe she just told you to figure it out on your own. My coach specializes in rehabilitating clients AFTER the competition for this very reason. She is amazing, really. If you are ever interested in finding out more about her, just PM me and I can give you some details :)

Lol, I don't think she means to be stand offish about it, she just really belives I should be able to eat clean and maintain. Problem is, I lose control without structure..

It would be really easy for me to ask for your trainers info but at some point I have to live life without paying someone.. I know the foods to eat, I just am not sure if my numbers I am trying to reach are too high or too low..

Really do appreciate your help though! Thank you!

egoatdoor
01-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I know 20lbs is crazy rebound!Now the117 was with water depletion, so I wasn't a TRUE 117, but still 6 weeks later im 20lbs heavier.
Again Im not looking to drop much just around 10lbs.
I am just not sure my calories are on point,and yes I would slowly increase calories closer to maintanince once I drop these last lbs.

Thank you for your compliments! I loved contest prep and being on the stage, it was a blast!

I would try it for a month and see what happens. If you drop the 7 pounds or close to it, you are on point. If not, then you can make an adjustment.

Do you track your diet daily? www.fitday.com is a convenient, easy tracking tool.

kimm4
01-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Hi there!

So i am officially coming off a month plus of contest rebound.....ugh!!!!!

I am trying to drop btwn 7 and10lbs the right way,but not sure if I am looking at things right and you all are such a wealth of knowledge i would appreciate the feedback.

I do have a coach that has given me my workouts to follow in my off season,but she won't touch the diet because i am in off season and she feels its best to just eat good but clean. Here is the problem.....Im a former "big girl" (240lbs was my highest) I can't just eat good and clean! I have to plan, I have a tendancy to binge and not planning does not work for me. These last 2 weeks since christmas I have tried,but I just end up eating crap, or way to little and then I binge again!

I am not looking to drop the weight over night, in fact the number on the scale doesn't bother me as much as not feeling the tighness, i just feel fluffy... so if it comes off slow and there is visual progress I am ok.

Prep diet was crazy but really easy, but it really played with super low to no carbs. I thinkin order to help my binges and to keep me from needing to munch I am going to bring back in the carbs, I tried cycling them for the last 2 weeks but I would cave and binge on tostitos...lol!

So here is my thought... And please offer up advice!

going to a40/40/20 split so protien and carbs are equal..
Calories on training days...btw 1450-1500
my break down is not exact its about 159gP/132gC/38gF..but I am working on it
non training is about 1300cal, with a little less carbs and slightly higher fat
I will do 1 cheat meal weekly on a non training day

I train (lift) 4-5 days a week with moderate intensity cardio 30 min 4days,60min 2 days.

I guess after this long drawn out post ..my question is...Are my numbers/thoughts on point?

I weigh 137, my goal is to maintain off season btwn. 127-132

Much appreciation ladies!

Oh that's right, you had your show...congrats how awesome!!

1450 calories should work. I usually shoot for 45p/25c/30f or 40p/30c/30f...I think the 40p/40c/20f better for the beginners that have never dieted...jmo.

Maintenance calories for you are around 2000.

Best of luck!

MGG98
01-09-2010, 05:37 PM
I would try it for a month and see what happens. If you drop the 7 pounds or close to it, you are on point. If not, then you can make an adjustment.

Do you track your diet daily? www.fitday.com is a convenient, easy tracking tool.

Thank you, yes i track using mydailyplate.... love that sight

MGG98
01-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Oh that's right, you had your show...congrats how awesome!!

1450 calories should work. I usually shoot for 45p/25c/30f or 40p/30c/30f...I think the 40p/40c/20f better for the beginners that have never dieted...jmo.

Maintenance calories for you are around 2000.

Best of luck!

Thanks Kimm!
Perfect info! I am close to the 40/30/30 so I will re think things and give that a try..

Is it bad to have the majority of my fats from nut butters and nuts? Or is it best to add in some flax oil?

Thanks again!

kimm4
01-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks Kimm!
Perfect info! I am close to the 40/30/30 so I will re think things and give that a try..

Is it bad to have the majority of my fats from nut butters and nuts? Or is it best to add in some flax oil?

Thanks again!

You can use whatever fats you like. My normals are almonds, pb, yolks and fish oil. It's a personal preference. :)

aznprincess
01-09-2010, 06:22 PM
wow! i just checked out your progress pics! you took home 1st in all three plus overall??!! that's awesome, you looked great by the way. i think you're a little too hard on your self
;-)

anyway, i think you'll be able to eat healthy as long as you follow kim's suggestion about cals and all that. you know which foods you should be choosing and all that.

good luck and great work!

MGG98
01-10-2010, 07:46 AM
You can use whatever fats you like. My normals are almonds, pb, yolks and fish oil. It's a personal preference. :)

Just wanted to say THANK YOU! You are always so helpful! I am sure you lead a busy life,but you always make time for helping others! I read the forums alot and it just seems that you chime in when we need you and are always filled with valuable info! Much appreciation to you for always helping!

MGG98
01-10-2010, 07:54 AM
wow! i just checked out your progress pics! you took home 1st in all three plus overall??!! that's awesome, you looked great by the way. i think you're a little too hard on your self
;-)

anyway, i think you'll be able to eat healthy as long as you follow kim's suggestion about cals and all that. you know which foods you should be choosing and all that.

good luck and great work!

Thank you, yep my first show and I made a clean sweep... It was fun, but now I have to step it up cause I am going to be on a bigger playing field...lol!

I am so glad Kimm chimed in, she gave me just what I needed, the reassurance I was correct or close with my numbers.. Im going to take her advice and change my eating split a tad..

Yes, I know the foods to eat, and I am excited to say I am listining to what you all say (or type)everyone seems to still eat good yummy (clean) foods but makes them tasty..

Sounds strange but even before comp. prep, I just ate plain boring stuff..I am stepping outside my box!..lol! I am learning!

Thank you again!

MGG98
01-10-2010, 08:00 AM
I love to eat black beans...

during my contest prep, I ate them alot as one of my protein choices. and since i knew I could have 1/2cup i never paid any other attention.

Now as I am putting my own menu together I am reading labels more.. And I am not understanding if they (blackbeans) are really considered a protein source since they seem to be higher in carbs...

How do you guys factor them in?

Emma-Leigh
01-10-2010, 10:19 AM
I love to eat black beans...

during my contest prep, I ate them alot as one of my protein choices. and since i knew I could have 1/2cup i never paid any other attention.

Now as I am putting my own menu together I am reading labels more.. And I am not understanding if they (blackbeans) are really considered a protein source since they seem to be higher in carbs...

How do you guys factor them in?
They are both a source of carbs and protein - although not an animal source of protein, they still have high levels of protein and it still 'counts' toward your protein total... So I simply combine the beans with something to bring the totals up such to what I need without overdosing on the carbs (eg: black beans, vegetables, + tuna or cheese or eggs).