PDA

View Full Version : Pacman's Pursuit to Perfect Peaking with Dr. Joe

Pages : [1] 2 3

thepacman
12-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Hello all and welcome to my journal. My name is Phil. I have mostly lurked around here, posting occasionally, but decided I needed some extra motivation for this coming prep. I have learned countless amounts of information from everyone on here so I look forward to being able to share some of what I know but also continue to learn. There's so much knowledge out there that I want in my head. So let's get started!

PAST
I have been lifting since I was about 18. All through college I lifted seriously but didn't pay a lick of attention to nutrition. Basically I thought the more I could eat the better. I sarted off my senior year in highschool around 150 lbs (year 2000). By 2007 I was up to 220 but fairly fat, lol. I had always been interested in bodybuilding but didn't know about the natural federations, so I just assumed I had to be huge to compete. In 2007 I found out more about the natty orgs and constructed a diet by myself just to see how I would look when I was slimmed down. I had no clue what I was doing. I picked up a trainer at my gym and decided to get my feet wet at an OCB show 4 weeks later. I showed up at 175lbs probably 9-10% bf, haha. I had lost a ton of muscle but was bitten by the bug.

I bulked for a year. And by bulked I mean I ate everything in site, still thinking that was the right thing to do. The following spring I was back up to 225lbs and gave my self 16 weeks to diet for a couple shows. Well I competed again at a flat, dehydrated 175lbs but this time around maybe 7% bf. It was around this time I started questioning everything my trainer was doing. I was on the forums and reading articles and realized I was engaging in every myth out there. I think I made every mistake in the book. My macros were way off. Protein was wayyy too high. I employed drastic peak week tactics like major sodium loading, drastic water cutting and diuretic usage. By the end of the prep I was miserable and thought there had to be some other ways to achieve the conditioning I wanted. Soooooo....

PRESENT
This past year I took off from competing and focused on a quality off season. Tracking my macros and working on my training. I started working with Dr. Joe Klemczewski about a month ago. I hired him for my nutrition/cardio plan to bring me out of the off season and into my prep for this coming year. I am super excited to be working with him. This man knows his stuff.

FUTURE
Like most people on here, it is a serious goal of mine to become a natural pro. Realistically I know that before I win a proqualifier, I should be able to win some local shows no problem. My goal is to compete in the local OCB show this June (2010) and perhaps a NGA or USBF (pro-qualifier) that I did last year. I then plan on continuing to tighten up throughout July and do a couple more IFPA pro-qualifiers in August/September. I want striated glutes and will not stop till I get them. I also want to do my part to help promote the sport of natural bodybuilding, whatever that may be.

CONTEST HISTORY
Jun 16, 2007: OCB Eastern Seaboard Novice Tall - Placing: 2
Jun 16, 2007: OCB Eastern Seaboard Open Tall - Placing: 4
Jun 14, 2008: USBF Battle of the York Novice Heavy - Placing: 2
Jun 14, 2008: USBF Battle of the York Open Light Heavy - Placing: 2
Jun 21, 2008: OCB Eastern Seaboard Novice Tall - Placing: 2
Jun 21, 2008: OCB Eastern Seaboard Open Tall - Placing: 2
Jun 22, 2008: NGA Annapolis Novice Heavy - Placing: 2

As you can see, I'm pretty sick of placing 2nd. But boy has it fueled my fire.

CURRENT MACROS
Protein: 240-250g
Carbs: 400-425g
Fat: 60-70g

High Day (once a week) -
Protein: 240-250g
Carbs: 600g
Fat: 100g

Right now Dr. Joe isn't looking for massive weight gains or fat loss, just fine tuning. More of a growing, dynamic process. We should be rounding the corner soon into the real prep.

CURRENT CARDIO
Two sessions per week for 20 minutes. Warm up, stretch, then 15 minutes high intensity.

CURRENT TRAINING
This is something I have been fooling around with recently. I've done Layne's Power/Hypertrophy mix and enjoyed it. But also enjoy the more classic approach. I have tried to combine them, haha. Please feel free to comment and suggest alternate approaches.

Pull Heavy
Push Heavy
Legs Heavy
Chest/Bi Hyper
Back/Trap Hyper
Shoulder/Tri Hyper
Legs Hyper

I have been doing 2 on 1 off with abs and cardio on my off days.

CURRENT SUPPLEMENTS
ON Whey
Primaforce Beta Alanine
Primaforce ZMA
Primaforce Creaform
Scivation Xtend
Generic Fish Oil
Now Multi
IDS Waxy Maize
NO Shotgun

Pics coming....

RichKnapp
12-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Looks like a good layout/plan. I'll be following your progress. :)

thepacman
12-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Okay time for the pics. These were taken maybe a month ago at around 205 pounds. You all know the drill...crappy lighting and with a flash. When your ripped, your ripped.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0123.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0124.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0125.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0126.jpg

thepacman
12-02-2009, 08:00 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0127.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0128.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0132.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0133.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0134.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0136.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0137.jpg

thepacman
12-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Looks like a good layout/plan. I'll be following your progress. :)

Thanks man, glad to have you! Can use all the support and insight I can get!

thepacman
12-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Nutrition

P/C/F
Target: 240-250/400-425/60-70
Actual: 243/421/61

Training
Push Strength

DB Flat Press
30lbs x 20 (warm up)
45lbs x 15 (warm up)
60lbs x 10 (warm up)
80lbs x 8 (warm up)
120lbs x 6
130lbs x 5 x 5

DB Shoulder Press
50lbs x 8 (warm up)
80lbs x 5
85lbs x 5
95lbs x 4
90lbs x 5 - wanted to get 5 so I dropped the weight

Tri Deadlift (thanks J-Bo)
110lbs x 6
130lbs x 6
140lbs x 3.5 - hmm haven't done these enough, a little too heavy
130lbs x 6 x 6

Hammer Strength Military Press
270lbs x 2.5 - lol
240lbs x 5 x 5 x 5

Abs
Weighted knee raise 3 x 10
Weighted seated crunches 3 x 10

Thoughts ~
Overall a great workout. I chose the hammer strength military press because in my gym the press is at an angle where it really targets both the upper chest and front delt. My upper chest has always been a weakness as far as muscularity goes. Can never quite seem to add thickness no matter how much I punish it. Slow and steady I guess. Hit up some sushi for a post workout meal. Love those tuna & cucumber rolls.

thepacman
12-03-2009, 06:55 PM
So I am going to be be doing a Pull Power workout tomorrow and unfortunately can't do heavy deads or bent over rows or anything that puts my lower back under a lot of tension do to a previous injury. I can go higher rep on these for now, but the heavy low rep stuff tends to irritate it. Just looking for suggestions on some other power movements for back that I can incorporate that would be lower back friendly? I have been doing weighted pull ups and heavy DB rows...

RichKnapp
12-03-2009, 07:13 PM
HE HE HE Your in my world on this one. :) You see my back (low back can take no weight or presure)

All I can do are Hammer Strength rows, Parmont close grip rows, Cybex wide grip rows, Free Motion Wide grip Lat pull downs. any machine lat pull downs.
I love the Free Motion to help stretch out the width and you can do one hand at a time if you want.

But the others you see the simularities = all have the chest suport and as longe as you don't cheat and push with your legs you sould be fine.
For pull downs do behind neck to keep you from cheating and leaning back.
I do them in this order = narow, wide, Free motion, H.S. and end in wide grip pull ups and end with pull up hanging stretch with trap pull ups.

Wo Ho sorry but you made my day, something I have to do I can recomend for some one else to help them out. :)
Just pease get better and don't need me again. LOL

heavy_weight
12-04-2009, 10:39 AM
subbed...

you've got great size and thickness on your back and arms, but your chest is lagging a bit IMHO.

also I noticed your lower rep ranges.. do you tend to respond better to lower reps (4-6) than higher reps (8-12)?

how are you liking the push/pull split?

thepacman
12-04-2009, 11:17 AM
HE HE HE Your in my world on this one. :) You see my back (low back can take no weight or presure)

All I can do are Hammer Strength rows, Parmont close grip rows, Cybex wide grip rows, Free Motion Wide grip Lat pull downs. any machine lat pull downs.
I love the Free Motion to help stretch out the width and you can do one hand at a time if you want.

But the others you see the simularities = all have the chest suport and as longe as you don't cheat and push with your legs you sould be fine.
For pull downs do behind neck to keep you from cheating and leaning back.
I do them in this order = narow, wide, Free motion, H.S. and end in wide grip pull ups and end with pull up hanging stretch with trap pull ups.

Wo Ho sorry but you made my day, something I have to do I can recomend for some one else to help them out. :)
Just pease get better and don't need me again. LOL

Thanks for the tips! Your right something I need to work on and have been working on is my form. I think I originally hurt my back through bad form in squats and deads so I have been lightening the weight with them and trying to get the form down perfect. It's tough cause as soon as I start doing them I get cocky and throw more weight on which only leads to a couple more days of pain. Just gotta remember its not always about how much weight I'm moving but how I'm moving it.

subbed...

you've got great size and thickness on your back and arms, but your chest is lagging a bit IMHO.

I agree 100%. My chest has always been a weak point, especially upper. Strength wise its right up there with everything else but it just won't grow. I've tried everything and will continue to chip away at it. Just takes time I guess. Consistency is key.

also I noticed your lower rep ranges.. do you tend to respond better to lower reps (4-6) than higher reps (8-12)?

how are you liking the push/pull split?

Honestly I respond well to both and I do both. I wanna hit all the muscle fibers. Working in the lower rep ranges increases my strength so that I can handle more weight in the hypertrophy range which is really where the muscle is gonna grow. I really like hitting things twice a week. It only takes a couple days for the muscle to heal and then I pound it again. I was doing everything twice a week Power/Hypertrophy but just recently lengthened my split a little bit because I wanted 3 power days in there. I could probably combine my 4 hyper days into 3 and that would make it a little better. I've just been playing around with it lately seeing how my body responds. I really like having chest and back on separate power days hence why I went with the push/pull split for now.

debrovnik
12-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Looks awesome man, just wondering though, what on earth is a Tricep Deadlift? :confused:

Exa123
12-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Nice thread Phil, im along for the ride! Im interested to see how things progress under Dr Joe's guidance!

ehlisl
12-04-2009, 04:21 PM
FUTURE
Like most people on here, it is a serious goal of mine to become a natural pro. Realistically I know that before I win a proqualifier, I should be able to win some local shows no problem. My goal is to compete in the local OCB show this June (2010) and perhaps a NGA or USBF (pro-qualifier) that I did last year. I then plan on continuing to tighten up throughout July and do a couple more IFPA pro-qualifiers in August/September. I want striated glutes and will not stop till I get them. I also want to do my part to help promote the sport of natural bodybuilding, whatever that may be.

Looks great Phil! Excited to see what you bring on and off the stage! Should be good! :D

thepacman
12-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Looks awesome man, just wondering though, what on earth is a Tricep Deadlift? :confused:
haha don't worry I had no clue what it was a few weeks ago either. Gotta give props to J Bo for this one, I stole it from his log.
PQE-a-7OcxY

Nice thread Phil, im along for the ride! Im interested to see how things progress under Dr Joe's guidance!
I'm excited to see too! I have heard nothing but great things about him and his clients always come in nasty shredded. I promise I won't disappoint.

Looks great Phil! Excited to see what you bring on and off the stage! Should be good! :D
Thanks man! Great to have you. I followed your log "quietly" and you offered nothing but great motivation for me. You have an amazing physique. When's your next prep?

thepacman
12-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Nutrition
P/C/F
Actual: 206/319/43 so far.

One meal left...oh boy it's gonna be a big one.

Training
PULL STRENGTH

Medium Grip Pullups
bw x 12 x 2 (warm up)
bw x 10 (warm up)
bw + 25lbs x 7
bw + 35lbs x 6
bw + 45lbs x 6 x 2

One Arm DB Rows
120lbs x 8
160lbs x 6
170lbs x 6 x 2 - PR

Standing DB Curls
50lbs x 6
60lbs x 6
70lbs x 6
75lbs x 5

BB Shrugs
315lbs x 8
405lbs x 6
455lbs x 6 x 5

BB Upright Rows
155lbs x 6
165lbs x 6

Thoughts~
Had a PR on the DB Rows today. Was pretty excited about that. I had to dust off those 170s, haha, they hadn't been used in quite some time. I would say my form throughout the power days is "good". I wouldn't classify it as really strict form, there is def some rocking with the curls and such. Just enough so that I can use the weight comfortably, not enough to make me go lighter.

jked4life
12-04-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm definitely going to follow your progress. You have a great base already.

Best of luck to you!

COZ999
12-04-2009, 07:14 PM
We have competed in very similar shows, both have placed 2nd in many too. Lets turn this around. Keep that fire lit!

debrovnik
12-05-2009, 03:28 AM
Bloody hell man! Your bicep curls are insane!!! :eek:

Looks like I need to up my game!!! :D

thepacman
12-05-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm definitely going to follow your progress. You have a great base already.

Best of luck to you!
I appreciate that! Good luck to you too, I'll be dropping by and saying hi.

We have competed in very similar shows, both have placed 2nd in many too. Lets turn this around. Keep that fire lit!
I couldn't agree with you more. 2nd place is just the first loser right? Keeps me going.

Bloody hell man! Your bicep curls are insane!!! :eek:

Looks like I need to up my game!!! :D
haha thanks, I'm paying for it today.

thepacman
12-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Off to the gym! I know this video has been floating around but no matter how many times I watch it I get extremely pumped. Look out for Berto!

lqZ6_bIs5ok

bremec55
12-05-2009, 04:34 PM
subbed!

looks like you've staying pretty lean too, great job! Looking great man! Excited to follow your progress. GROW baby!

Blazed
12-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Subbed! hope im not TOO late =p

debrovnik
12-06-2009, 04:06 AM
Encorparated some heavy dbell curls into my workout yesterday - felt really good!

Ok, not quite the weight you were using but it's a start - did 4 sets of 5 with 60's.

stayfit2008
12-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Turning out some 1's in 2010! Now thats talking!

J_Bo
12-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Crazy THICK erectors, my man! :eek:

Your back is DEFINITELY a strong point!

RichKnapp
12-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Off to the gym! I know this video has been floating around but no matter how many times I watch it I get extremely pumped. Look out for Berto!

lqZ6_bIs5ok

I can see were this helps keep your eye on the prize. ^5

thepacman
12-06-2009, 10:55 AM
subbed!

looks like you've staying pretty lean too, great job! Looking great man! Excited to follow your progress. GROW baby!
Thanks! I'm excited your following. Been def trying to stay leaner this offseason. Early this year I got up to 215-200lbs but was holding too much fat. Did a mini cut in July and dropped 10lbs in 6 weeks. Was probably a bit too aggressive with it but since have been SLOW bulking. Now I am in a maintaining, fine tuning phase about to round the corner any day now. Just waiting on the green light from Dr. Joe!

Subbed! hope im not TOO late =p
Too late? Were just getting started! Glad to have you, your last prep was nothing short of absofreakinlutely amazing.

Encorparated some heavy dbell curls into my workout yesterday - felt really good!

Ok, not quite the weight you were using but it's a start - did 4 sets of 5 with 60's.
Awesome! I saw that in your log. Its always takes me a minute to convert the kg to pounds in my head. What is it like a 2.2 conversion? I was using that weight not too long ago so keep up those power days and watch yourself grow!

Turning out some 1's in 2010! Now thats talking!
Just trying to be like you my man. Get that card!

Crazy THICK erectors, my man! :eek:

Your back is DEFINITELY a strong point!
Thanks! Your whole body is a strong point, lol. Can't wait to see you on stage.

I can see were this helps keep your eye on the prize. ^5
Haha I think I watched it 4 times yesterday. The song was stuck in my head all night.

thepacman
12-06-2009, 11:01 AM
After watching that youtube video yesterday morning, I got real pumped and was practicing some posing. Snapped a couple pics. The previous photos on this page were from about a month ago. My weight in these ones is about 204 - only down like a pound from the last set of pics. As I said I am still in maintainance/fine-tuning mode. My macros haven't changed in in about a month but we are about to change things up soon I hope. About 27 weeks out from the first set of shows. My fire is burning!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0187.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0186.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0190.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0194.jpg

thepacman
12-06-2009, 11:02 AM
lol sorry they are all diff sizes....
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0192.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0189.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0185.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0191.jpg

thepacman
12-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Nutrition

P/C/F
Target: 240-250/600/100
Actual: 236/562/95
______
It was a high day today. Didn't even eat enough meals :( Had to cram in a bunch of food before I went to bed. Weekends always screw me up cause I'm off my schedule and sleep in too late.

Training
Legs Strength

Leg Press
200lbs x 10 (warm up)
600lbs x 10 (warm up)
800lbs x 10 (warm up)
1000lbs x 6 x 2
1180lbs x 4 x 2

Walking DB Lunges
90lbs x 6 x 2
100lbs x 6 x 2 - PR

Plate Loading Kneeling Curl
90lbs x 10 (warm up)
180lbs x 6
200lbs x 6
230lbs x 4 x 2

Standing Calf Raise (nautilus Cybex - DEEP ROM & SLOW)
300lbs x 8
320lbs x 8
340lbs x 8
360lbs x 8

Thoughts ~
Had to skip out on the BB squats and RDL today cause my lower back was tender. Still managed a great session. My glutes are SORE today from those lunges, but the form on them were solid - even got some comments on it. Not too many exercises overall but the intensity was high. I am fried today.

On a side note I started taking my ZMA again. Anyone else get some crazy dreams with that stuff? Sheesh I woke up and my heart was POUNDING. The first thing I thought of was "I wonder how many calories I burned during that dream?" lol.

J_Bo
12-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Sometimes when you take the lower back out of the equation, you can actually get a better leg workout....sometimes :)

thepacman
12-07-2009, 07:08 AM
After watching that youtube video yesterday morning, I got real pumped and was practicing some posing. Snapped a couple pics. The previous photos on this page were from about a month ago. My weight in these ones is about 204 - only down like a pound from the last set of pics. As I said I am still in maintainance/fine-tuning mode. My macros haven't changed in in about a month but we are about to change things up soon I hope. About 27 weeks out from the first set of shows. My fire is burning!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0187.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0186.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0190.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0194.jpg

lol sorry they are all diff sizes....
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0192.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0189.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0185.jpg

bump to new page

Sometimes when you take the lower back out of the equation, you can actually get a better leg workout....sometimes :)

very true...my mental intensity was extremely high as well. I told myself I was going to have a great workout regardless!

ehlisl
12-07-2009, 07:16 AM
very true...my mental intensity was extremely high as well. I told myself I was going to have a great workout regardless!

Not many people realize how mental bodybuilding is. :D

Keep up Phil, the progress is looking great and you have 27 weeks to put in your work!

What weight do you compete around??

thepacman
12-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Not many people realize how mental bodybuilding is. :D

Keep up Phil, the progress is looking great and you have 27 weeks to put in your work!

Thanks! Yup 27 till the first shows and I think I'm gonna do some more around 6 weeks later, so I'm excited to see how Dr. Joe can fill me out and tighten me up more at the same time.

What weight do you compete around??

You know that's a really good question. Not that I care what I weigh cause I just want to be conditioned, but any thoughts or guesses what my weight will be at striated glutes territory? I'm 204-205 now.

thepacman
12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Today was an off day from training so I just did my HIIT cardio. I was trying to get creative cause I didn't feel like going to the gym. I have a treadmill at home but sprints get annoying because I'm constantly changing the speed and it takes too long for the treadmill to catch up. I was thinking about doing burbee intervals but my legs were too sore. So I warmed up on the treadmill for 5 minutes and then did 20 second intervals of going up and down one step as fast as I could. Did this 15 times and then cooled down. Was actually fairly difficult, got a nice sweat going. Not sure if it got my heart rate all the way up though. I think I'm going to get a Polar Watch and chest strap for Christmas so I can keep better track of it.

RichKnapp
12-07-2009, 06:22 PM
sounds like a plan.

thepacman
12-07-2009, 06:37 PM
NUTRITION

P/C/F
Actual: 252/405/67

TRAINING
Chest/Tri Hyper

DB Incline
35lbs x 20 (warm up)
55lbs x 15 (warm up)
70lbs x 10 (warm up)
80lbs x 10
85lbs x 10
90lbs x 10

BB Decline
225lbs x 15
255lbs x 10
255lbs x 8
-->Drop set 135lbs x 20

Hammer Strength Bench
2 plates (each side) x 8
SS
Pec Dec Fly
140lbs x 10
SS
Push Ups
bw x 10
--> Did that for two sets

Tricep Cable Pressdown
80lbs x 15 x 4

One Arm Seated DB Extensions
30lbs x 8
30lbs x 8 x2
SS
Cable Kickbacks
10lbs x 10 x 2

Hanging Knee Raise
bw + 25lbs x 10 x 3

Seated Cable Crunch
35lbs x 8 x 3

Thoughts ~
Had a massive pump in my triceps. They are actually freezing up on me now if I flex them. So I'm not flexing them, lol.

Also just got the word from Dr. Joe. He wants to lower my carbs by 50g and keep protein and fat where they were at. So the new macros are 245P / 350C / 65F with refeed once a week at 500C. Everything is still pretty high still, he just wants to get my weight moving again and then keep it slow after that. Let's do it!!

dino59mob
12-07-2009, 06:42 PM
yo phil your progress pictures look great man... excited to see what you bring to the stage i'll be there big guy!!! .... i'll talk to you tomorrow we got to get a lift in

thepacman
12-08-2009, 06:41 AM
sounds like a plan.
Yup let's get at it!!

yo phil your progress pictures look great man... excited to see what you bring to the stage i'll be there big guy!!! .... i'll talk to you tomorrow we got to get a lift in
haha finally he joins. Work is holding you back my friend. Quit and just train full time. Get your gf to support you :) Yeah def gotta get a lift. Or you just need to move so we can train together daily.

FATHER FLEX
12-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Cool thing about interval work is that you can find all kinds of great ways to get it in. So far hill sprints are my favorites, along with kettlebells.

thepacman
12-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Cool thing about interval work is that you can find all kinds of great ways to get it in. So far hill sprints are my favorites, along with kettlebells.

Hill sprints FTW! My favorite as well. I have this really steep hill in my neighborhood. Takes me 10-15 seconds to sprint up, perfect height. I actually get nervous before a good HIIT session cause I know it's going to be painful. Love to hate it!

thepacman
12-08-2009, 07:38 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
Target: 245/350/65
Actual: 213/309/50 - One meal remaining

TRAINING
Back/Traps Hyper

Hammer Strength Iso Row
3 plates each side x 8 x 3

Hammer Strength Iso Lateral Behind Neck ss/w Deadlifts
2 plates x 10 / 225 x 15
--> x 3

Deadlifts
315 x 10
375 x 8

Dumbell Pullovers ss/w Straight Arm Cable Pull Down
70 x 10 / 110 x 8
--> x 3

Smith Shrugs
225 x 20 x 3

Thoughts ~
This was the first time I have done deadlifts in a month or two because of my lower back pain. I know they are usually a power movement but I can't go extremely heavy with it so I decided to use it in my hypertrophy workout. I decided to superset it after some pull downs to keep myself from going to heavy. Wow. It was fantastic. Never done that before and boy did it wind me. Still did a couple straight sets after and was pleased that my back managed to get through it okay. I know its not a ton of weight, just happy to get through the movement again.

Got home and used my foam roller for a while on my back/lower back/rhomboids. Just started doing this and it is freakin amazing. I can really tell my lower back is extremely tight. It's almost painful to roll over it but starts to loosen up after a few rolls. Love how it cracks and sets the back. Feels so good. Going to keep doing this several times a week in hopes that it can aid in the healing process. One of the moves I was doing...
EWPl1uhuSB0

thepacman
12-09-2009, 08:38 PM
A must have on my Christmas wish list.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/striatedglutefv6.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/1115039952782uz.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/1993-mr-olympia-new-15.jpg

RichKnapp
12-09-2009, 10:36 PM
DAM that makes me wise I could do legs/gluts. holly crap.

thepacman
12-11-2009, 12:49 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Shoulders/Bis Hyper

Hammer Strength Iso Lateral Press
2 plates each side x 10 x 2
2.5 plates each side x 8 x 2

DB Seated Arnold Press
50 x 10 x 3
SS/w DB Side Lateral Raise
25 x 10 x 3
Drop Set
15 x 10
18 x 10 x 2

Reverse Pec Dec
140 x 15 x 2
150 x 12
150 x 10 Drop Set 80 x 6

DB Hammer Curl
35 x 12
50 x 10
60 x 10 x 2

Hammer Strength Preacher
70 x 12
80 x 12
90 x 10

DB Arnold Curl
40 x 10
50 x 8

Thoughts ~
Nasty Pump after that the supersetting and drop sets with shoulders. Weight dropped immediately after cutting my carbs by 50g. Woke up at 202.6 today. Even if it's water I love seeing the scale move!

thepacman
12-11-2009, 01:00 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Legs Hyper

BB Squats
Bar x 20 (warm up)
135 x 15 (warm up)
185 x 5 (warm up)
225 x 12
225 x 15
225 x 20

Decided to do progressively high reps today, something that I am not used too. I can't say I have ever done more then 15 reps on squats so I just wanted to push myself. Lower back was still a little tender but just pushed through it. Pretty much wanted to vomit the whole workout after these. Need to do this more often.

GHR
bw x 8 x 3

Single Legged Press
400 x 8 x 3
SS/w Single Leg Extensions
75 x 12 x 3

Seated Leg Curl
180 x 12
225 x 10
255(stack) x 10

Seated Calf Raise
100 x 12
125 x 10
150 x 8 x 2

Cybex Angled Calf Raise
2 plates each side x 17 x 15 x 15

Thoughts ~
Had off of work today so I woke up and ate breakfast and headed to the gym. I was spent after this session. Not such a huge fan of only having one meal in me for the day before I lift, especially with legs. I usually train at night after like 4 meals in me. Stopped by Borders on the way home from the gym and picked up the new Natural Bodybuilding & Fitness mag. So looking forward to some good reads. Time to cook and relax a bit! Maybe watch It's Always Sunny Christmas Special again, lol.

thepacman
12-11-2009, 01:01 PM
DAM that makes me wise I could do legs/gluts. holly crap.

I hear ya. I expect your whole upper body to look like their glutes!

RichKnapp
12-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I hear ya. I expect your whole upper body to look like their glutes!

We will have to see. LOL I used to have sterations in my pecs pretty good. I am more worried about the cutting up with out loosing muscle mass this round. ;)

thepacman
12-11-2009, 01:10 PM
We will have to see. LOL I used to have sterations in my pecs pretty good. I am more worried about the cutting up with out loosing muscle mass this round. ;)

Yeah I'd say that's a fear for everyone. Just don't worry about it so much that it hinders your conditioning. Conditioning wins shows. I'd rather be shredded. If your diet and training are spot on then very little muscle loss should occur. Keep the intensity high! (I'm telling myself this too, lol)

J_Bo
12-12-2009, 06:01 PM
I hear ya about liking to have a little more fuel in the tank, especially for leg days. Nice job on the 20 rep squats! It's killer stuff!

thepacman
12-13-2009, 04:09 PM
I hear ya about liking to have a little more fuel in the tank, especially for leg days. Nice job on the 20 rep squats! It's killer stuff!

Haha I thought...that is until I read your journal. 315 x 25? You make me look like a child. Goodness gracious that's insane. Ah well something to strive for :)

thepacman
12-13-2009, 04:43 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Push Power

Bench Press
warm up
275 x 4
295 x 5
315 x 4
335 x 2

I don't normally do heavy bench press. To me the risk for injury is too high and actual chest development is too low. But eh decided to give it a go today. Just made sure I was properly warmed up and took the reps nice a slow - very pleased with the weight I moved.

Shoulder DB Press
85 x 5
90 x 5 x 2

Low Incline DB Press
110 x 5 x 3

Straight Bar Skull Crusher
115 x 6
125 x 5
135 x 5

Thoughts ~
Very low volume, but intensity was great. Weighing 201 now. Realized this weekend that I am around 20 pounds less then when I started my prep last time. Last time I only gave myself 16 weeks to diet too and this time 27+ weeks. I have never been this strong either. Shows you what a good off season can do when you keep track of your macros and not let things get out of control.

On another note I just wanted to touch briefly on an article I read in this months NB&F by Kurt Weidner. It's something that I have given a lot of thought about. My last prep I became so indulged in everything, I let it control my life instead of me controlling it. I became like a hermit, especially towards the end. I didn't see my friends, I wasn't happy unless I was in the gym and it almost made me never want to compete again. I swore to myself that if I was going to continue in this sport then I have to realize it's because I do it for fun, because I love it. I think it's crucial to work your prep into your life and not let your life become the prep. We chose to do this, nobody makes us. You must be able to balance everything, get it all done and do it without complaining or being a grouch. It is important to keep in contact with your friends and family and maintain those relationships. They are your support system and link back to reality. I think this year will be different for me and one huge reason is that I started tracking and counting my macros in my off season. Basically the switch over from off season to precontest should be seamless. Your just eating less food. My last prep I had a trainer which gave me my food choices. I had to eat this meal at this time, no exceptions. To me, that's a path for destruction. Everybody's lives are different and everyone likes different foods. The amount of satiety that comes from choosing your own meals provides so much less stress in your life that I truly think keeps cortisol levels down and allows doing shows to be apart of your life rathering then becoming it. Just a little something that's been on my mind lately and enjoyed that article by Kurt.

thepacman
12-15-2009, 11:22 AM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Pull Power

Pull Up
bw x 12 x 2
bw x 10

Was planning on doing weighted pull ups but couldn't find the belt and chain to hang the weights from. Oh well just used it as a warm up and moved on.

Deadlifts
225 x 6 (Warm Up)
315 x 4 (Warm Up)
315 x 4 (Warm Up)
405 x 4
405 x 4
455 x 1
475 x 1 - PR

Well I managed to get PR on deads today but I really let me ego get the best of me. I broke form and got sloppy - back rounded a bit. I was just asking for injury especially cause I have been having lower back problems (of which it's pretty darn sore today). There is no reason for me to be doing single reps during my prep. From now on all my power movements will go no less then 5 or 6 reps.

DB Single Arm Row
140 x 6 x 3

After the heavy deads I had to lighten up a bit and make sure my form was in tact.

BB Straight Bar Curl
96 x 6
135 x 6
145 x 5
145 x 6

Hammer Strength Wide Grip Shrug Machine
4 plates each side x 10
5 plates x 6 x 3

fltallpaul
12-15-2009, 12:13 PM
On another note I just wanted to touch briefly on an article I read in this months NB&F by Kurt Weidner. It's something that I have given a lot of thought about. My last prep I became so indulged in everything, I let it control my life instead of me controlling it. I became like a hermit, especially towards the end. I didn't see my friends, I wasn't happy unless I was in the gym and it almost made me never want to compete again. I swore to myself that if I was going to continue in this sport then I have to realize it's because I do it for fun, because I love it. I think it's crucial to work your prep into your life and not let your life become the prep. We chose to do this, nobody makes us. You must be able to balance everything, get it all done and do it without complaining or being a grouch. It is important to keep in contact with your friends and family and maintain those relationships. They are your support system and link back to reality. I think this year will be different for me and one huge reason is that I started tracking and counting my macros in my off season. Basically the switch over from off season to precontest should be seamless. Your just eating less food. My last prep I had a trainer which gave me my food choices. I had to eat this meal at this time, no exceptions. To me, that's a path for destruction. Everybody's lives are different and everyone likes different foods. The amount of satiety that comes from choosing your own meals provides so much less stress in your life that I truly think keeps cortisol levels down and allows doing shows to be apart of your life rathering then becoming it. Just a little something that's been on my mind lately and enjoyed that article by Kurt.

I have to say my first prep I was very robotic and didn't do anything outside of my routine. As a result after my show I was burnt out from the gym and stayed away for a while. This year I had alot more fun prepping and enjoyed life outside of the gym. I did a better job of prepping food in large quantities and made dieting much easier. The entire process was much more fun the second time around as I knew what to expect. I think experience plays a role and bodybuilding can be a part of a fun life style once you learn to manage your time effectively.

Great post!

Blazed
12-15-2009, 01:49 PM
I can't wait to get a second go at it too.

I think that prep taking over your life the first time around is almost inevitable.

Sick dead PR man.

thepacman
12-17-2009, 07:39 AM
I have to say my first prep I was very robotic and didn't do anything outside of my routine. As a result after my show I was burnt out from the gym and stayed away for a while. This year I had alot more fun prepping and enjoyed life outside of the gym. I did a better job of prepping food in large quantities and made dieting much easier. The entire process was much more fun the second time around as I knew what to expect. I think experience plays a role and bodybuilding can be a part of a fun life style once you learn to manage your time effectively.

Great post!

Absolutely. I think another hard part about the first show is that not only is it new and overwhelming to you, but also to your friends and family. It's hard enough on your diet let alone trying to explain it to everyone else all the time. After a couple more preps people see your serious about it and offer a lot of support instead of questions. At least that's how it is for me - by now everyone knows this is my lifestyle and it becomes easier.

I can't wait to get a second go at it too.

I think that prep taking over your life the first time around is almost inevitable.

Sick dead PR man.

Your gonna be sick, nasty after a strong off season. And thanks - not sure the PR was worth it though. Lower back is ouch :(

thepacman
12-17-2009, 07:51 AM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Legs Power

Leg Press
1000 x 6 x 4

DB Lunges
80 x 6
90 x 6
100 x 6
110 x 5

Lying Hamstring Curl
160 x 6
170 x 6 x 3

Standing Calf Raise (nautilus)
340 x 6 x 5

Weighted Crunches
5 sets x 8-12 reps

Arrived at the gym and my lower back was still pretty torn up from the heavy deadlifts on Monday. I was pretty pissed with myself for getting sloppy and letting it hurt again. So I had to take my lower back out of the equation again for power legs. Not so fun. Went moderate on the leg press and started off moderate on the lunges. Then I just got pissed that it hurt so I did one set with the 110s, something I have never done before. The calf raises I do very slow down with a pause at the bottom and slow up. I like to make sure I get a full ROM - it's the only way that my calves really get toasted.

Gotta start training smart and letting my lower back heal up.

COZ999
12-17-2009, 08:53 AM
definitly dont **** with your lower back. That **** ruins leg day and other ****. Just concentrate on 405 for reps on Deads. Believe me people are still impressed when you pull 405 for reps!

thepacman
12-17-2009, 09:08 AM
definitly dont **** with your lower back. That **** ruins leg day and other ****. Just concentrate on 405 for reps on Deads. Believe me people are still impressed when you pull 405 for reps!

Yeah thanks coz. It's actually been bothering me for a long time now. I had xrays earlier in the year and nothing showed up, next step would be an ultrasound. It feels better when I don't do deads, bent over rows, etc. You know all the great power house moves :/ The moment I add them back in, I always get carried away and go to heavy reaggravating it. Youd think I would learn my lesson by now. Just gotta work around it.

Blazed
12-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Take it easy for sure!! I injured my back DLing when I first started lifting heavy and I was out of the gym for months because of it. Slipped my L4 vert and pinched my sciatic nerve. No bueno!!! Felt like my right leg was getting electric shocks for a few months.

thepacman
12-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Take it easy for sure!! I injured my back DLing when I first started lifting heavy and I was out of the gym for months because of it. Slipped my L4 vert and pinched my sciatic nerve. No bueno!!! Felt like my right leg was getting electric shocks for a few months.

Thanks man, its good hearing other people say I need to smarten up :)

thepacman
12-18-2009, 01:42 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Chest/Bi Hyper

BB Incline
225 x 8
225 x 7
Dropped the weight so I could rep out a few more.
185 x 14
185 x 11

Incline DB Fly
50 x 12
60 x 10
60 x 11

BB Decline
225 x 10
225 x 10
225 x 10
SS/w Cable Crossover
50 x 14
50 x 15
50 x 16

Standing Preacher Curl
Cambered Bar wide grip
75 x 12
95 x 10
95 x 8
95 x 10

DB Hammer Curl
40 x 14
50 x 12
55 x 10

Behind the head cable curls
70 x 10 x 2

Was noticeable leaner today. Bicep veins are coming through a bit more. Strength and energy still great. Just have some HIIT cardio tonight. Balls to the walls through the holiday season. Got lots of time off from work to train and am getting a new camera with HD vid capabilities so I should be able to get some gym vids. Also ordered the Stubborn Fat Solution for some Christmas reading.

thepacman
12-19-2009, 03:39 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/500/65 Refeed

TRAINING
Back/Traps Hyper

Pull Ups
bw x 15
bw x 15
bw x 12

Close Grip Pull Ups
bw x 10 x 3

Hammer Strength Pulldown Variation
6 plates total x 8
7 plates x 7
6 plates x 10 x 2

DB Pullovers
80 x 10
100 x 8
100 x 8
SS/w Straight Arm Pulldown
120 x 10
120 x 10

Pulldowns
150 x 11
150 x 10
SS/w Behind the Neck Pulldown
80 x 15
80 x 15

Smith Shrugs
315 x 10 x 3
Smith Upright Rows
135 x 8 x 3

Skipped the HIIT today and opted for the gym and a refeed because a blizzard is headed our way for the weekend. Figured I'll be stuck inside tomorrow where I can do my cardio at home. Bring on the snow.

thepacman
12-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Well we got hit hard with snow today. Lots and lots...its still coming down. Woke up and did my HIIT and snapped some progress pics for Dr. Joe. Still losing on 350 carbs, lol its great.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0196.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0204.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0199.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/PICT0200.jpg

RichKnapp
12-19-2009, 05:28 PM
for 189 out looking good and on track.

thepacman
12-22-2009, 07:12 AM
for 189 out looking good and on track.

Thanks man! Looking great yourself!

NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Shoulders/Tris Hyper

DB Shoulder Press
60 x 10
80 x 8
80 x 9
80 x 8

DB Side Laterals
40 x 10
50 x 8 x 2

Reverse Pec Dec
160 x 12 x 3
SS/w DB Front Laterals
25 x 10
30 x 10
35 x 10

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press
2pps x 12 x 2

Cable Straightbar Pushdown
stack x 15
stack + 25 x 12
stack + 25 x 10
stack + 25 x 12

Seated Overhead DB extensions
30 x 8
35 x 8
40 x 8
45 x 8 SS/w Pushdown stack x 15

Weighted Knee Ups
bw + 25 x 10 x 3

Weight V ups
bw + 25 x 10 x 2

Couldn't lift on Saturday or Sunday cause we were snowed in with like 16+ inches of snow. Was forced to do HIIT at home on both days, so needless to say I was ready to go for this one!

thepacman
12-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Well I've been pretty busy the past few days, haven't been able to update. Did some last minute Christmas shopping, spent some time with the family, got in some solid training sessions...overall been a nice vacation. Figured I would just start back again with today's workout.

NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Legs Power

BB Squat
315 x 6 x 3

Hack Squat
8 plates + 20lbs x 5 x 3

RDL
225 x 6
315 x 6 x 3

Calf Raise on Hack Squat
8 plates + 20lbs x 8
10 plates + 20lbs x 6
8 plates + 20lbs x 8 x 3

Hit a new low Christmas morning at 199.6 lbs. Didn't last long as yesterday was also my refeed at 500g of carbs so I woke up this morning at 202.4lbs. Hopefully will get down lower then 199 by the end of the week. Had a couple great presents this year. Got a really nice digital scale that makes weighing things much easier. Before I just had one of those spring loaded scales. Digital is much more accurate, especially in the grams. Also got a new camera that takes HD movies, so hopefully I'll be able to get some good training stuff with it. And bought myself The Stubborn Fat Solution by Lyle McDonald. So far only a couple chapters in but a great read. Anyone have success with using any of his cardio protocols? Have off all week from work so I can concentrate on my lifting and diet and get some good reading in. Pretty excited about all that.

ehlisl
12-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Hit a new low Christmas morning at 199.6 lbs. Didn't last long as yesterday was also my refeed at 500g of carbs so I woke up this morning at 202.4lbs. Hopefully will get down lower then 199 by the end of the week. Had a couple great presents this year. Got a really nice digital scale that makes weighing things much easier. Before I just had one of those spring loaded scales. Digital is much more accurate, especially in the grams. Also got a new camera that takes HD movies, so hopefully I'll be able to get some good training stuff with it.

Sounds like Santa knew what you wanted, a good scale ;)

Keep up the great work, the progress pics are looking great and you are leaning out nicely. Can't wait to see some possible training vids?!?

Keep it up Phil!

FATHER FLEX
12-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Eric used some of Lyle's cardio protocols, and off the top of my head, I believe Tommy did as well. I second Luke, training vids are going to be great.

Exa123
12-27-2009, 06:48 PM
And bought myself The Stubborn Fat Solution by Lyle McDonald. So far only a couple chapters in but a great read. Anyone have success with using any of his cardio protocols? Have off all week from work so I can concentrate on my lifting and diet and get some good reading in. Pretty excited about all that.

Yep Tommy has me doing Lyles Stubborn Fat Protocol 2 Cardio twice a week

10 Intervals
30 Mins Liss
10 Intervals

Also have some LISS only cardio thrown into the mix as well - i really like it and think its a great method, its starting to really kick things into gear for me now.

EDIT - The amounts of intervals and LISS is just my current amount and not a set number as per the book

thepacman
12-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Sounds like Santa knew what you wanted, a good scale ;)

Keep up the great work, the progress pics are looking great and you are leaning out nicely. Can't wait to see some possible training vids?!?

Keep it up Phil!
Thanks Luke! I feel like pictures never do justice to your current conditioning, meaning I feel like I am a lot leaner. But I guess pics don't lie, when your ripped your ripped.

Eric used some of Lyle's cardio protocols, and off the top of my head, I believe Tommy did as well. I second Luke, training vids are going to be great.
Yeah I thought I remembered Eric using them. Once I finish the book, I'll def be having some good conversations with Dr. Joe...see how we can work some of this in. I'm really enjoying the chemistry behind it all (never thought I would say that). Any other good staples in your library that you recommend reading?

Yep Tommy has me doing Lyles Stubborn Fat Protocol 2 Cardio twice a week

10 Intervals
30 Mins Liss
10 Intervals

Also have some LISS only cardio thrown into the mix as well - i really like it and think its a great method, its starting to really kick things into gear for me now.

EDIT - The amounts of intervals and LISS is just my current amount and not a set number as per the book
Sounds like a great plan, thanks for chiming in. I'm sure it works really well. Lyle really knows his crap and Tommy was downright shredded. How far out are you now?

thepacman
12-27-2009, 09:57 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Chest/Tri Hyper

BB Incline
185 x 10
225 x 8 x 3

Decline Hammer Strength
2 pps x 20
2 pps x 20
2 pps x 20
SS/w Lower Cable Pulls
40 x 8
40 x 10
40 x 10
SS/w Pec Dec Fly
120 x 10
120 x 8
120 x 10

Tricep Cable Pushdown w/ straight bar
stack x 15
stack + 25lbs x 12
stakc + 25lbs x 13 x 2

Cambered BB BTH Extension
70 x 12
80 x 10
90 x 7

Was a great workout. Not necessarily a crap ton of weight being thrown around but for a hyper session I got a great pump and everything went really smooth. Since I am off of work I have been getting more sleep and sleeping in a bit later. I have been eating only 5 meals a day...upping the carbs in my breakfast and pre workout just a tad more. I actually enjoy having 5 slightly larger meals. When I'm working I am just awake for longer so I tend to eat around 6 a day.

Also a good article about meal frequency...
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

Exa123
12-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Sounds like a great plan, thanks for chiming in. I'm sure it works really well. Lyle really knows his crap and Tommy was downright shredded. How far out are you now?

21 and 22 weeks out - started at 30 weeks out. Two shows in May then a few more in Sept/Oct, going to be a tough year :)

thepacman
12-30-2009, 11:34 AM
21 and 22 weeks out - started at 30 weeks out. Two shows in May then a few more in Sept/Oct, going to be a tough year :)

Awesome! Sounds like we have a similar game plan for the year...do you have a log up?

thepacman
12-30-2009, 11:48 AM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Back/Trap Hyper

Hammer Strength BTN Pull Down
2 pps x 12
3 pps x 10 x 2
3.5 pps x 7

Straight Bar Cable Front Pull Down
170 x 10
180 x 8
190 x 8
SS/w Close Grip Cable Rows
160 x 12
170 x 10
180 x 10

DB Row
110 x 12 x 3

Hammer Strength Pullovers
2 pps x 10 x 3

BB Upright Rows
135 x 10
155 x 8 x 3

DB Shrugs
100 x 10
120 x 10
140 x 10 x 2

thepacman
12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Shoulders/Bi Hyper

Z5C3a59HoHg&feature=channel
DB Shoulder Press
80 x 12
80 x 8 x 3

DB Side Laterals
40 x 8
--Drop to 30 x 8
--Drop to 20 x 8
--Drop to 15 x 8
*2 sets of this

Rear Delt on Pec Dec
150 x 15
170 x 10
stack (190) x 6
--Drop to 100 x 10

n5jGBCl9cPY&feature=channel
DB Curl
35 x 8
60 x 9
60 x 8 x 2

Upper Cable Pulls
70 x 10
70 x 10
70 x 10
--Drop to 50 x 5
--Drop to 30 x 5

Hammer Strength Preacher Curl
2 plates x 8 x 2
1 plate x 17

Smith Shoulder Press
135 x 15
135 x 12
135 x 15

ehlisl
12-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Solid presses and DB curls Phil.. Looks like the new camera works perfect! :) Nice addition to the log!

FATHER FLEX
12-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Solid form bro! :)

Exa123
12-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Awesome! Sounds like we have a similar game plan for the year...do you have a log up?

No i dont mate, just right now time is tight and only posting here and there in a few threads.

Things will settle over the next 2.5 months with work and then for final 8-10 weeks i will put up a log then continue throughout the year till shows in Sept/Oct and post contest as well. in the mean time i just lurk and randomly post :)

thepacman
01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Solid presses and DB curls Phil.. Looks like the new camera works perfect! :) Nice addition to the log!

Solid form bro! :)
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the support!!

No i dont mate, just right now time is tight and only posting here and there in a few threads.

Things will settle over the next 2.5 months with work and then for final 8-10 weeks i will put up a log then continue throughout the year till shows in Sept/Oct and post contest as well. in the mean time i just lurk and randomly post :)

Sweet man can't wait! Let me know when it's up.

thepacman
01-03-2010, 07:35 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Push Power

BB Bench
275 x 6
295 x 6
315 x 4 x 2

BB Push Press
135 x 6
175 x 6
195 x 5

Hammer Strength Incline
3pps x 6
3pps + 25lbs x 4
3pps + 25lbs x 4

BB Skull Crushers
95 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 5 x 2

Did some weighted ab work and called it a day!

thepacman
01-03-2010, 07:41 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Pull Power

Pull Ups
bw + 45 x 6 x 4

Hammer Strength Iso Row
3pps x 6
4pps x 6
5pps x 4
4pps x 4 x 2

BB Cambered Bar Curl
70 x 10
110 x 6
130 x 6
150 x 5 (swing)
150 x 6 (swing)

BB Shrugs
315 x 6
405 x 6
455 x 6
405 x 6 x 2

Still losing at 350 carbs which makes me very happy :) Started off the new year under 200 pounds! Weighed in at 199 at 24 weeks out from my first show. Slow and steady!

ehlisl
01-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Still losing at 350 carbs which makes me very happy :) Started off the new year under 200 pounds! Weighed in at 199 at 24 weeks out from my first show. Slow and steady!

Nice work Phil, still loosing with 350 CHO! Thats how you do it.

thepacman
01-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Nice work Phil, still loosing with 350 CHO! Thats how you do it.

Thanks! I think I am due for a macro change soon but hey I can't complain eating all this food. That's the good thing about starting early, you get to keep your calories higher!

NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Legs Power

BB Squat
(warm up)
315 x 6
335 x 5
405 x 2 - pretty happy about that
315 x 6

DB Lunge
100 x 6
100 x 5
100 x 6

Laying Hamstring Curl
160 x 6
180 x 6
stack (190) x 6 x 3

Wanted to protect my lower back after the heavy squats so I decided not to do RDL like originally planned. Gotta keep it safe.

Nautilus Standing Calf Raise
stack x 8 x 3
Wanted to focus on the ROM and slow the speed down...
280 x 8 x 2

UPDATED SUPPLEMENTS
Multi Vitamin
Whey
Waxy Maize - For now until my carbs get lowered
Fish Oil - 6 grams/day
CLA - 6 grams/day
Sesamin - 3 grams/day
BCAA - pre & post workout and cardio
Glutamine - pre & post workout
Creatine - post workout
Green Tea Extract
ALA
B-Complex
Vitamin C

Wow looks like a lot when you write it all down. Really just using the basics though.

FATHER FLEX
01-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Even 6 steps per leg get you breathing pretty hard. :D

stayfit2008
01-06-2010, 04:37 AM
I hear ya on the safe DL lifts,...I just started doing full deads and immediately want to jump up to some crazy heavy weight,..I think I'll play around with more reps than heavy sets on those til I get accustom to them. Phew,..good thing I read this before deas Friday!

thepacman
01-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Even 6 steps per leg get you breathing pretty hard. :D
Haha your telling me! A couple times I thought I might not be getting back up from the lunge, lol. As balance becomes an issue deeper into my prep I may need to lighten up a bit to prevent injury. But I was reved yesterday after my squats!

I hear ya on the safe DL lifts,...I just started doing full deads and immediately want to jump up to some crazy heavy weight,..I think I'll play around with more reps than heavy sets on those til I get accustom to them. Phew,..good thing I read this before deas Friday!
Yeah that sounds smart! Just make sure you use weight that allow you not to break form and you should be good to go. Your a pro now, can't afford injuries!!

thepacman
01-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Sent my progress pics to Joe today, thought I would share them. I think there are some definite improvements from the last round. Morning weight was 198.6. Refeed was yesterday.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0094.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0095.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0096.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0097.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0098.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0099.jpg

thepacman
01-10-2010, 04:57 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0100.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0101.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0102.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0103.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0104.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0105.jpg

thepacman
01-10-2010, 04:58 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0106.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0107.jpg

RichKnapp
01-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Look-in good.

thepacman
01-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Sent my progress pics to Joe today, thought I would share them. I think there are some definite improvements from the last round. Morning weight was 198.6. Refeed was yesterday.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0094.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0095.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0096.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0097.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0098.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0099.jpg

Bump to new page

thepacman
01-10-2010, 05:06 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0100.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0101.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0102.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0103.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0104.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0105.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0106.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0107.jpg

Bump to new page

thepacman
01-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Look-in good.

Thanks man! Nice Avi!

AustrianOakJr
01-11-2010, 03:31 AM
Looking good....you've got nice shape to the wheels, especially from the back. Posing looks good. Youre leaning out. Things are going your way! How far out now?

ehlisl
01-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Pics are looking great Phil! 23 more weeks till you do damage on stage buddy, keep killing it!!

BaFtub
01-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Looking great! Subbing!

thepacman
01-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Looking good....you've got nice shape to the wheels, especially from the back. Posing looks good. Youre leaning out. Things are going your way! How far out now?

Thanks man that means a lot. I have never really liked my legs. I have been pounding the crap out of them this past off season in hopes for some growth. I am somewhat happy with how they look from the side and back, but for some reason from the front they seem to disappear. Gotta keep working on the sweep. 23 weeks this past weekend from the first show!

Pics are looking great Phil! 23 more weeks till you do damage on stage buddy, keep killing it!!

Thanks man, Im excited to be prepping at the same time as you. Good inspiration.

Looking great! Subbing!

Thanks man, glad to have ya. I've seen some of your last contest pics...hoping to bring your same conditioning.

So I am 23 weeks out from the USBF Battle of the York and have decided that I want to do the INBF Hercules in New York City the following weekend. Some great Pros have come out of that show so I am excited to even be competing there. Depending on how these shows go I will continue to diet until August and do 2 OCB Pro-Qualifiers then as well.

Lately I have been curious about this....I have read that fat loss comes in waves. I was stuck at 200lbs for a couple weeks. I even started to go up in weight. 201, then 202. Luckily I have a trainer cause if it were up to me I would have dropped my carbs (since Im still at 350!) Joe didn't want to touch it. He said just hang in, so I listened cause I trust him (another good reason you should always trust your trainer and listen to what only they tell you). A couple weeks went by then BAM all of a sudden 199lbs, then 198lbs the next day, then had a refeed which didn't change my weight the next day, then 197 the following (today). Weird?

Anyone have any articles on how exactly fat loss moves in waves. I have a feeling I didn't just lose it all in the past 2 days...maybe I had been losing it all along but it was masked by water?

I know you shouldn't just go by the scale, but when your working with an online trainer that is one of the key functions to progress, along with pics.

Quelly
01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
I think that's exactly what you were looking for

Exa123
01-11-2010, 03:27 PM

Good post Quelly ^^

ehlisl
01-11-2010, 04:18 PM

E is on top of that!!!

Weight loss is much like muscle gain, it is never a steady state.

thepacman
01-12-2010, 08:10 AM

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I knew Lyle had written about it. Thanks!

Good post Quelly ^^

E is on top of that!!!

Weight loss is much like muscle gain, it is never a steady state.

Next time I'm just going to ask Eric, lol.

...after fat cells had been emptied of stored triglyceride, they would temporarily refill with water (glycerol attracts water, which might be part of the mechanism). So there would be no immediate change in size, body weight or appearance. Then, after some time frame, the water would get dropped, the fat cells would shrink. A weird way of looking at it might be that the fat loss suddenly becomes ?apparent?.

This fascinates me.

thepacman
01-15-2010, 11:06 AM
A little update on this week...

Monday I started coming down with a little something something. Maybe a bug, a common cold, I really don't know. But it was due time for a deload any way. I did a 3 day, push, pull, legs deload, keeping all the reps in the 12 range and not taking anything to failure. Really concentrated on my form and ROM. Also chose to exclude arms in the deload. My tricep tendons have been really quite sore since I did skull crushers a week or so ago. Yikes. All of a sudden just like that they started hurting. I have been making sure that I warm up properly and get the blood in the area before moving some weight around. I started taking Elastamine from Primaforce in hopes that it will help combat any soreness there.

I also added in some Dialene 4x from Scivation. I am only taking it once a day right now before lifting for some extra energy. So far I really like it. I find that it gives me all the energy I need after sitting at a desk all day and the best part is that I don't seem to crash on it like I have with Lipo 6.

Just some HIIT tonight (I say that like its not hard or something, lol). Gonna run a hard 2 miles when I get home. Joe said that he would encourage me to not just do intervals but to also just get a good hard run in for my high intensity cardio. I'm not incredibly fond of running, but I am growing to enjoy the pain of it. Its hard. And I'm not very fast....yet.

Back at some heavy weights tomorrow and I'm making some sushi with my friend (Refeed!!) Hopefully seeing Avatar in 3d as well.

thepacman
01-15-2010, 11:08 AM
And weight at 196.8 this morning. Happy about that. Oh and I posed for my old trainer/friend yesterday and he said I am at the conditioning now at 22 weeks that I was at 8 weeks out last year. Gonna bring good things this year I can feel it.

thepacman
01-16-2010, 01:11 PM
NUTRITION

P/C/F
Target: 245/500/65 (refeed)

TRAINING
Push Power

DB Flat Press
Warm Up
110 x 6
140 x 6
Ha68OayN2hE
This set pretty much kicked my butt for the rest of the workout. Really gave it my all. There is some back arching, so a little cheating going on there, but I am pretty pleased with it.
140 x 3 - FLOP on this
110 x 6

Smith Shoulder Press
225 x 3 - AHH still struggling from that DB press
205 x 6 x 3

Hammer Strength Incline
3pps x 7 x 3 - Felt good

Tricep Cable Pressdown
130 x 6 x 3 - This pulley cable system is tough. Used the one that is meant for the Lat pulldowns, etc.

RichKnapp
01-16-2010, 01:43 PM
good video. I can see were that would spend ya for the rest. ;)

ehlisl
01-16-2010, 02:35 PM
[DB Flat Press
Warm Up
110 x 6
140 x 6
Ha68OayN2hE
This set pretty much kicked my butt for the rest of the workout. Really gave it my all. There is some back arching, so a little cheating going on there, but I am pretty pleased with it.
140 x 3 - FLOP on this
110 x 6

Damn good work with the 140's Phil. Great controll through the reps, even with the arch you should be very pleased.

Keep up the great work buddy!

COZ999
01-16-2010, 04:08 PM
NUTRITION

P/C/F
Target: 245/500/65 (refeed)

TRAINING
Push Power

DB Flat Press
Warm Up
110 x 6
140 x 6
Ha68OayN2hE
140 x 3 - FLOP on this
110 x 6

Smith Shoulder Press
225 x 3 - AHH still struggling from that DB press
205 x 6 x 3

Hammer Strength Incline
3pps x 7 x 3 - Felt good

Tricep Cable Pressdown
130 x 6 x 3 - This pulley cable system is tough. Used the one that is meant for the Lat pulldowns, etc.

bro those are some legit F*ckin reps! Impressive esp during a diet!

thepacman
01-21-2010, 06:07 PM
good video. I can see were that would spend ya for the rest. ;)
Thanks Rich! Yeah I was spent! Luckily it was my refeed. Came home and made some sushi with my friend. Yum! 210 carbs / 57 protein / 7 grams fat
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/0116002114.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/0116002116.jpg

Damn good work with the 140's Phil. Great controll through the reps, even with the arch you should be very pleased.

Keep up the great work buddy!
Thanks Luke! It's humbling to watch your own form, but surprisingly very helpful.

bro those are some legit F*ckin reps! Impressive esp during a diet!
Thanks coz! I sincerely appreciate that!

thepacman
01-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Well this past week I had 3 incredible power sessions (Push, Pull, Legs) that left me crawling around for a few days. Highlights included the DB Flat press at 140 x 6...DB Rows at 170 x 6...and some BB squats at 355 x 5. Needed to prove to myself that all my strength is still there after have been dieting for a while now and have lost 10 pounds. Doesn't take much volume to get me incredibly sore. This week I needed to switch things up a bit so I decided to do a traditional 5 day split and let myself heal up. I'm going to talk with Joe and re-evaluate my split for the next few weeks.

Tonight was Back.

NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/350/65

Still taking 350 carbs daily and have lost ten pounds. Started at 206ish and am down to 196. I'm quite amazed at my metabolism. Cardio is still twice a week (HIIT).

TRAINING
Back

Hammer Strength Isolateral BTN Pull Down
2 pps x 10
3 pps x 10 x 3

Rack Deads SS Close Grip Pullups
2pps x 12 SS bw x 8
3 pps x 10 SS bw x 10
3 pps x 10 SS bw x 10
2 pps x 20 SS bw x 12

Had to take the rack deads fairly light - haven't done the in a while and just wanted to be safe with my lower back.

Hammer Strength High Row Pulldown
3 pps x 10 x 3

Seated Single Arm Lower Cable Pulls
120 x 15 (each arm)
stack (150) x 10
stack x 12
stack + 25 x 10

Straight Arm Cable Pulldown
50 x 10 x 3
Very quick rests in between sets. Strict form.

RichKnapp
01-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Looks like a good day/work out.

FATHER FLEX
01-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Those presses were insane! Looking great bro! Good idea on moving things around to aid in recovery a tad.

ehlisl
01-30-2010, 07:15 PM
How's the progress going Phil?

thepacman
01-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Looks like a good day/work out.

Thanks Rich! Really appreciate your support

Those presses were insane! Looking great bro! Good idea on moving things around to aid in recovery a tad.

Thanks Berto! Gotta keep the heavy lifts coming!

How's the progress going Phil?

I think I owe some updates here. Gotta get better at keeping on track at updating this thing. So I'm sitting at 20 weeks out from my first show. Macros are still 245g protein / 350g carbs / and 65g fat. Its really amazing that I am still losing weight. I'm kinda baffled by it all. Started off with Dr. Joe about 12 weeks ago. We set out just to maintain and tighten up a bit at first. Weight was 207lbs when I first hired him. Twelve weeks later I am 194 (this morning). Pretty amazing. He has only dropped my carbs once (from 400 to 350 daily). Every time I feel like I'm stalling, I send him my updates and he just wants me to hold on a bit more....then BOOM the weight drops. Had my refeed today. Enjoyed a lot of cereal. Yum. I'll get some update pics this coming weekend cause I owe them to Joe. I asked him what he thought my stage weight would be a while back and he didn't think that I would need to get as low as the 170s. So that puts me at a great pace to be stage ready.

As far as training. I started to get into some recovery problems with my HIIT and hitting things twice a week, so I wanted to just switch it up a bit for now. Decided to switch over to more of a periodization program that Joe emphasizes. In a nutshell it emphasizes your Power/ Core Lift & Strength Workouts one week and then the Volume Workouts the next. I am doing 2 days on 1 day off and HIIT on the off days. I think this should help for a bit, and then I'll probably end up switching things around again eventually.

So had a few great workouts this week. A few highlihgts...

Chest/Tris/Abs Power
DB Incline Press 110 x 6, 120 x 3, 110 x 7
Bench 265 x 5, 275 x 7, 295 x 4
Smith Close Grip Bench 2 pps x 5, 6, 6

Back/Bis/Calves Power
Weighted Pull ups - bw + 45lbs x 7 x 2, 6 x 2
Deadlifts 315 x 6, 365 x 8 (Back started hurting so I stopped)
DB Row 150 x 7 x 2
DM Curl 60 x 7, 70 x 5 x 2, 60 x 6

Shoulder/Traps/ Abs Power
Seated DB Press 85 x 6, 90 x 6, 95 x 4
Hang Cleans 185 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 3
DB Front Raise 50 x 7, 60 x 7

Happy to note that my strength has gone no where yet. It becomes a bit of a mental battle in the gym. My body likes to tell me I am dieting so I shouldn't be lifting heavy. But my mind tells me I am still strong. My mind always wins the battle so far :)

Quelly
01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
And make sure it keeps winning that battle! Maintaining strength not only allows you to step on stage with the vast majority of your hard earned muscle, but it sets you up to start your offseason gaining NEW muscle instead of replacing lost old muscle

thepacman
02-03-2010, 06:57 AM
And make sure it keeps winning that battle! Maintaining strength not only allows you to step on stage with the vast majority of your hard earned muscle, but it sets you up to start your offseason gaining NEW muscle instead of replacing lost old muscle

Thanks Eric! You've really set a good example in both aspects of this with your past prep. It's something that I think about quite frequently in the gym. It also really helps for me to keep a written journal of my lifts at the gym. I am always flipping back to my workouts a month or so previously and will more often then not find out I am not using as much weight or reps as I did on that day. It's crazy how easy it can become to do less weight or lower the reps just because it feels heavy on that given day. When this is the case, I reference my old workouts, pump myself up, and sure enough I can still pump out those reps. It's really a mental battle. It's great to hold yourself accountable like that.

thepacman
02-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Trying to catch up on some of my workouts here...

NUTRITION

P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Legs Power

BB Squats
Rep Scheme: 20, 20, 20, 15, 10, 5, 5, 5, 2
bar x 20
65 x 20
95 x 20
135 x 15
225 x 10
end of warm up
315 x 5
335 x 5
345 x 5 - It was at this point that one of my friends said to me "arent you supposed to go heavy when you cut? I thought that was the idea" haha wow fueled the fire for the next set.
405 x 3

SLD
Rep Scheme: 10, 10, 10, 5, 5, 5
135 x 10
185 x 10
225 x 10
315 x 5
335 x 5 - Bailed out on the last set as a lower back precaution after heavy squats and these.

Donkey Calf Raises
stack (380) x 10
stack + 45lbs x 9
stack + 95 x 10
stack + 145 x 6
stack + 190 x 6

thepacman
02-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Chest/Tris/Abs Volume Work

Smith Incline
135 x 15 x 2
185 x 10
225 x 10 x 3

DB Flat Bench SS Cably Fly
90 x 12 SS 65 x 10
90 x 11 SS 65 x 10
90 x 11 SS 65 x 10 - After I dropped the DBs and sat up from this set my back crazy spasmed out on me. Took a few minutes and stretched it out, and tried to finish up the workout while keeping things in tact.

Pec Dec Fly
130 x 18 x 3

Cable Pressdown
130 x 15
stack (150) + 25 x 12
stack + 25 x 15 x 2

Reverse Cable Presdown SS Rope Pull down
stack x 10 SS 85 x 8
stack x 10 SS 85 x 8
stack x 10 SS 65 x 20

My elbow tendons have been bothering me will all my extension exercises. For all the push downs they feel fine, but for skull crushers and BTH extensions they kill. I have been on Elastimine for a while now...any one have any other suggestions? For now I'll continue to avoid those exercises but I hate not doing skull crushers cause they are the bread and butter for tricep movements. It was never an issue for me just until a few weeks ago I was doing skull crushers and they just all of a sudden hurt....

Quelly
02-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Chest/Tris/Abs Volume Work

Smith Incline
135 x 15 x 2
185 x 10
225 x 10 x 3

DB Flat Bench SS Cably Fly
90 x 12 SS 65 x 10
90 x 11 SS 65 x 10
90 x 11 SS 65 x 10 - After I dropped the DBs and sat up from this set my back crazy spasmed out on me. Took a few minutes and stretched it out, and tried to finish up the workout while keeping things in tact.

Pec Dec Fly
130 x 18 x 3

Cable Pressdown
130 x 15
stack (150) + 25 x 12
stack + 25 x 15 x 2

Reverse Cable Presdown SS Rope Pull down
stack x 10 SS 85 x 8
stack x 10 SS 85 x 8
stack x 10 SS 65 x 20

My elbow tendons have been bothering me will all my extension exercises. For all the push downs they feel fine, but for skull crushers and BTH extensions they kill. I have been on Elastimine for a while now...any one have any other suggestions? For now I'll continue to avoid those exercises but I hate not doing skull crushers cause they are the bread and butter for tricep movements. It was never an issue for me just until a few weeks ago I was doing skull crushers and they just all of a sudden hurt....

you ever try doing a skull crusher movement with dumbells? more of a hammer grip?

thepacman
02-03-2010, 11:02 AM
you ever try doing a skull crusher movement with dumbells? more of a hammer grip?

Actually that could be a good alternative. I'll try it out and see if it puts the same stress on my elbows. It's frustrating not being able to do any extension movements. Luckily I'm still able to do close grip bench, so I got that for power movements. Hopefully it'll just take time to heal...

P.S. Great articles...keep em coming. Appreciate the time you put into them.

Carlito99
02-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Good log! I'll be following :)

What do you usually do for your HIIT and what are the intervals split up like? 15/45, 30/30, 60/60, somethin else?

thepacman
02-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks man, glad to have ya!

HIIT I really like to switch it up. Dr. Joe encourages me to not only do intervals but also experiment with maintaining an aggressive pace, so like a fastest one or two mile pace you can do...keeping the heart rate elevated the whole time. This can be tough, very tough. Sprints are a lot of fun but can also be more muscularly dangerous (pulling a hammy and such) and can be easier due to the breaks in between. Both have advantages and I like to do one of each a week just to keep myself from getting bored (currently doing 2 HIITs a week).

When I do intervals I vary the time as well. If I am at the gym, I will use the bike or elliptical which allow me to do something like the 15/45. Usually I try and take the day away from the gym on the cardio days so I just find myself going home where I have my treadmill. At home I usually do 30 second sprints on an incline and then 1:30 recovery, simply because it takes a long time for my treadmill to get up to speed and then back down again. And it only goes up to 10mph so I have to do it on an incline.

My preference would be to do hill sprints on this awesome hill in my neighborhood. It takes about 10-15 seconds to run up, and then I just walk down and repeat. Love it, but it's sooo cold out here in Delaware. Getting a foot of snow on sat!

Carlito99
02-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks man, glad to have ya!

HIIT I really like to switch it up. Dr. Joe encourages me to not only do intervals but also experiment with maintaining an aggressive pace, so like a fastest one or two mile pace you can do...keeping the heart rate elevated the whole time. This can be tough, very tough. Sprints are a lot of fun but can also be more muscularly dangerous (pulling a hammy and such) and can be easier due to the breaks in between. Both have advantages and I like to do one of each a week just to keep myself from getting bored (currently doing 2 HIITs a week).

When I do intervals I vary the time as well. If I am at the gym, I will use the bike or elliptical which allow me to do something like the 15/45. Usually I try and take the day away from the gym on the cardio days so I just find myself going home where I have my treadmill. At home I usually do 30 second sprints on an incline and then 1:30 recovery, simply because it takes a long time for my treadmill to get up to speed and then back down again. And it only goes up to 10mph so I have to do it on an incline.

My preference would be to do hill sprints on this awesome hill in my neighborhood. It takes about 10-15 seconds to run up, and then I just walk down and repeat. Love it, but it's sooo cold out here in Delaware. Getting a foot of snow on sat!

Yea, I use the treadmill a lot for my intervals as well. Mine goes up to 11 MPH only, so right now I'm working on 1 minute on, 1 minute off intervals until I can get 10 of them at speed 11. So far I'm at like 10.4 for 8, so still have a ways to go. During the 1 minute off, I totally get off the treadmill though cause I find it too annoying to constantly change the speed back and forth. Plus, the rest does me good since I feel like collapsing lol

Switching it sounds like a good idea though, I might start doing some straight high intensity stuff without the intervals to mix it up..

thepacman
02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Yeah man that sounds pretty good too, I'll have to give your way a shot. Never thought of just getting off of the treadmill maybe jogging in place or something. Or I'll just buy a second treadmill, place it right next to, put it at a slow pace and hop back and forth, "OK Go" style lol.

thepacman
02-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Woke up at 193lbs this morning. My saturday morning weight is always a bit low cause I sleep so much on friday night. Woke up to about 2 feet of snow :-0 Its gonna be fun shoveling this after my HIIT,haha. Gym is closed today and most likely tomorrow, so I'm going to have my refeed on an off day from the gym and see how I like it. Will most likely weight in a bit more then usual tomorrow.

So progress pics...19 weeks out. Looks like in my front relaxed and front lat spread I am throwing my right shoulder back. Gotta work on that. Any other posing tips are appreciated.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0135.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0137.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0138.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0139.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0140.jpg

thepacman
02-06-2010, 10:16 AM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0141.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0142.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0143.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0144.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0145.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0146.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0148.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0150.jpg

BaFtub
02-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Looking incredibly sharp already sir. Your upper leans out ALOT faster than the lower half but I can tell you're gonna be DICED.

thepacman
02-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Looking incredibly sharp already sir. Your upper leans out ALOT faster than the lower half but I can tell you're gonna be DICED.

THanks man! Yeah my legs have always had a hard time at getting conditioned. Partly just cause I have never dieted long enough. I am actually quite impressed with them at this point. They are getting to the point where they will be leaner then I had them last time I was on stage, lol.

thepacman
02-08-2010, 07:05 PM
NUTRITION

P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Legs Hyper

Hack Squats
Warm Up
3pps x 10
3pps x 12
3pps x 12
Drop to 2pps x 8
Drop to 1pps x 12 - Huge pump after this

Leg Extension
stack x 12 x 3 - Ouch

Lying leg Curl
200 x 20

Stead Leg Curl
165 x 15
210 x 10
250 (stack) x 8 x 2

Adductor SS Abductor
stack x 12 SS 90 x 12
3 sets of this. I sat on a ball while doing the abductor machine to really target my glutes more.

DB Lunges
50 x 13 x 2

....and done.

ehlisl
02-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Great work Phil! Pics are looking great, good things are going to be happening when you step on stage! 19 weeks to keep upping the conditioning!

Turkish1530
02-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Woke up at 193lbs this morning. My saturday morning weight is always a bit low cause I sleep so much on friday night. Woke up to about 2 feet of snow :-0 Its gonna be fun shoveling this after my HIIT,haha. Gym is closed today and most likely tomorrow, so I'm going to have my refeed on an off day from the gym and see how I like it. Will most likely weight in a bit more then usual tomorrow.

So progress pics...19 weeks out. Looks like in my front relaxed and front lat spread I am throwing my right shoulder back. Gotta work on that. Any other posing tips are appreciated.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0135.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0137.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0138.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0139.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0140.jpg

19 weeks out.............dam ur conditioning is going to be NASSTYY when it's all said and done. I mean your conditioning is already good and you have 19 weeks to get down and dirty. Best of luck man.

Blazed
02-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Wow!! This is a good reality check.

I'm going to have 20 weeks to prep for my first show next season. I wish I could start that lean!!

Keep it up Pac!

thepacman
02-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Great work Phil! Pics are looking great, good things are going to be happening when you step on stage! 19 weeks to keep upping the conditioning!
Thanks Luke! Trying to make every day count! Time goes by so fast.

19 weeks out.............dam ur conditioning is going to be NASSTYY when it's all said and done. I mean your conditioning is already good and you have 19 weeks to get down and dirty. Best of luck man.
Thanks man, that's the goal! Never been to freaky levels of leanness so I didn't want to leave anything to chance. At this point conditioning is the only thing I can control. Hope to one day be on stage with you!

Wow!! This is a good reality check.

I'm going to have 20 weeks to prep for my first show next season. I wish I could start that lean!!

Keep it up Pac!

I think I have something to learn from you when it comes to conditioning! Besides when I look at pics of Jrod at 15 weeks out I feel wayyyy behind, lol.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/BLS-15wo-4june09-JeffRodriguez.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/FLS-15wo-4june09-JeffRodriguez.jpg

thepacman
02-10-2010, 07:56 PM
NUTRITION

P/C/F
245/350/65

TRAINING
Chest/Tri/Abs Power

BB Incline
Warm Up
185 x 8 x 2
225 x 8 x 2
245 x 4 - Ah.

Decline Bench
275 x 7
295 x 5 - This exercise was bothering my chest. Seem to be having some minor pain in my collar bone area so I decided to go back to an incline movement.

Hammer Strength Incline
3.5pps x 3 - Ah. Too heavy.
3pps x 5

Smith Close Grip Bench
185 x 9
195 x 8
225 x 5 x 2
225 x 3.5

Weighted Hanging Knee Ups
bw + 20lbs x 10 x 5

FATHER FLEX
02-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Being ready early is a great thing. I am starting my diet very early next time as well. A pull a Jeff, and soon to be Phill. :)

thepacman
02-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Being ready early is a great thing. I am starting my diet very early next time as well. A pull a Jeff, and soon to be Phill. :)

Haha wow, somehow I don't think my name belongs in the same sentence as Jeffs. Heck, not even in the same paragraph or on the same page. But some good motivation to crank things up.

Funny too, just got the word from Joe, he wants to speed me up. Dropping the carbs from 350 daily to 300. Should make for some nice changes!

thepacman
02-13-2010, 09:14 AM
NUTRITION

P/C/F
245/300/65

Excited to see what happens with dropping the carbs by 50. Already woke up a pound lighter this morning.

TRAINING
Shoulder/Trap/Ab Power

Seated DB Press
Warm Up
85 x 6
90 x 6 x 2

Push Press
185 x 4
185 x 6 x 2

BB Shrug
405 x 10 x 4

DB Front Laterals
60 x 6 x 2

Weighted Ab Work

Gym was empty last night so I snapped a couple 18 week out pics. Morning weight is 192.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0162.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0163.jpg

thepacman
02-15-2010, 11:29 AM
NUTRITION

P/C/F
245/500/65

Refeed!! Meant lots of whole grain pancakes, baked chips, and a nice wawa wrap.

TRAINING
Legs Power

Front Squats
Warm Up - lots
225 x 6
245 x 5
275 x 3
285 x 2 - Fail - Pretty embarrassing even posting this after seeing Bertos and Eric's #s. Gonna work on my front squat strength this off season.

SLD/RDL
185 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 6 x 2
335 x 5
335 x 6 - Sore today. Ouch.

Leg Ext.
stack + 10lbs x 8 x 4

Calves were still sore from hitting them a couple days ago so I called it quits and ate some cereal.

COZ999
02-15-2010, 11:32 AM
NUTRITION

P/C/F
245/500/65

Refeed!! Meant lots of whole grain pancakes, baked chips, and a nice wawa wrap.

TRAINING
Legs Power

Front Squats
Warm Up - lots
225 x 6
245 x 5
275 x 3
285 x 2 - Fail - Pretty embarrassing even posting this after seeing Bertos and Eric's #s. Gonna work on my front squat strength this off season.

SLD/RDL
185 x 10
225 x 8
315 x 6 x 2
335 x 5
335 x 6 - Sore today. Ouch.

Leg Ext.
stack + 10lbs x 8 x 4

Calves were still sore from hitting them a couple days ago so I called it quits and ate some cereal.

thats why your my homie! Mudda ****ing WAWA. Where are you from?

rich55
02-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Looking awesome! You will certainly be bringing your personal best to stage. Bringing those wheels in all diced up will just take some time and you have plenty. Good changes just between those 2 different pictures.

thepacman
02-15-2010, 12:38 PM
thats why your my homie! Mudda ****ing WAWA. Where are you from?

Delaware...Wawa is the essence of my survival. I'm not sure how people live without it. I have been dying to try one of these...

GGT8XDrpM9o

thepacman
02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Looking awesome! You will certainly be bringing your personal best to stage. Bringing those wheels in all diced up will just take some time and you have plenty. Good changes just between those 2 different pictures.

Thanks Rich, awesome to here you say! Been following your log for a while now. A pro card would be nice, but bringing my personal best is what it's all about. And yeah it def takes time with my legs. Ultimately we have control of how much time we diet, so I know I didn't want to take any chances this year! Thanks for stopping in!

coloBB
02-15-2010, 04:47 PM
looks like your back is really going to be a strong point! looking good man.

COZ999
02-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Delaware...Wawa is the essence of my survival. I'm not sure how people live without it. I have been dying to try one of these...

GGT8XDrpM9o

Im from Jersey but drove thru delaware on the way back to base. Always stopped at the wawa in middletown delaware off of 301. I loved the buffalo chicken sandwich but they got rid of it....im petitioning for it

thepacman
02-15-2010, 06:42 PM
looks like your back is really going to be a strong point! looking good man.

THanks man! Yeah I have been told back is my strong point. Funny cause I haven't even really done deadlifts or BB Rows that much in the past year cause I hurt my lower back. Now if I could just find a way to make my chest grow like yours...ugh so frustrating.

Im from Jersey but drove thru delaware on the way back to base. Always stopped at the wawa in middletown delaware off of 301. I loved the buffalo chicken sandwich but they got rid of it....im petitioning for it

ohhh yeah. Sweet man, let me know next time your around town. Your planning on doing the York next year right? That's first on my list this year.

Ha I have a wawa within 2 miles of my house. My wrap was a buffalo chicken wrap. One of those pre-made ones they have. Great macros 32p/38c/10f. Get it whenever I'm in a pinch. And when it's growing season their hoagies are top notch. Never had the buffalo chicken sandwich. Get your deadlift face on and petition for it back so I can try it.

thepacman
02-18-2010, 08:11 AM
NUTRITION

P/C/F
245/300/65

Weight has been coming off nicely since Joe dropped to 300 carbs daily. Took a couple days after my refeed on Saturday, as expected, but things seem to be progressing nicely now.

Training
Back/Bi/Calves Hypertrophy Work

Straight Bar Pull Down
Warm Up
170 x 10
180 x 12
220 x 8

Rack Dead SuperSet with Close Grip Pull Ups
Positioned the rack right at knee cap. I usually place it right below my knee cap but I was trying to prevent my lower back from hurting. Seemed to work fairly good.
225 x 15 SS bw x 8
315 x 12 SS bw x8
405 x 10 SS bw x 6
465 x 8 SS nothing...haha was spent - pretty happy with these. They were fairly easy as I haven't done rack deads in a while cause of my back.

Hammer Strength High Pull Down
3pps x 8 x 3

Seated Straight Bar Row
140 x 12
180 x 10
220 x 8 Drop to 140 x 6 Drop to 80 x 8

2 plates x 10 x 3

Hammer Cable Curls with Rope
120 x 8 Drop to 70 x 6
120 x 8 Drop to 70 x 8 Drop to 40 x 8

Calves on Hack Machine
Lots

Things are coming along. I will soon be entering into some uncharted levels of leanness for myself. The last year I competed was a nightmare looking back. I didn't give myself nearly enough time to diet and I was too fat going into the diet. Not to mention my diet was just screwy (why I moved on from my previous trainer). So I am really getting excited as I look at my physique and see tremendous things happening. Taking a long off season was a very good idea as well. It really gives your body a chance to grow and shape. I plan on taking another long off season after this year of competing.

I really want to take the time to enjoy my physique as I get into these low levels of body fat. I want to start documenting more, taking more photos or something to that extent. It seems like the moment is fleeting and once it's over it is a long time till you get back there. I love reviewing old photos and comparing my physique throughout the years. My sister is a photographer so I plan on setting up some sort of photoshoot when I'm stage conditioned.

Anyway - yesterday was just HIIT so I decided to just run a hard, fast two miles. My time is still not that fast, but it's hard...lol. Trying to close in on a 15 minute 2 mile. That's the goal. I have never been much of a runner so I am excited with my progress. I like to alternate these with intervals for my HIIT. Or sometimes I just run a hard one mile and then finish with intervals. Like to mix things up and keep myself from getting bored.

thepacman
02-19-2010, 06:55 AM
NUTRITION

P/C/F
245/300/65

Morning weight was 191.5lbs.

Training
Shoulders/Traps/Abs Hyper

2pps x 12
2.5pps x 8
2.5pps x 7 drop to 1.5pps x 8 drop to 1pps x 8 - Huge pump going already

Side Laterals
35 x 12 drop to 20 x 10
35 x 12 drop to 17.5 x 10 - Good form and good burn

Seated High Rope Pulls for Rear Delts
50 x 15
60 x 15
70 x 15

BB Shrugs
225 x 15
315 x 12
315 x 15 x 2 - Really slow and a strong squeeze at the top

Abs
Lots or weighted work

Workout felt great. For some reason today like 5 or 6 people came up to me and commented on my leanness so something must have happened recently. Veins are more pronounced. Gotta update Joe again on Saturday he may drop me even more depending on my update pics this weekend. No messing around with this guy. Everytime I think Im ahead he wants to cut me harder! Love it.

FATHER FLEX
02-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Seriously that last set of pics in the gym. You are right were you need to be!

thepacman
02-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Seriously that last set of pics in the gym. You are right were you need to be!

Thanks Berto! Hopefully on track to be ready a couple weeks out so that I can use the time to fill out!!

thepacman
02-20-2010, 01:35 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0167.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0179.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0175.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0179.jpg

thepacman
02-20-2010, 01:36 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0169.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0171.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0173.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0174.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0176.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0178.jpg

thepacman
02-20-2010, 01:37 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0180.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0181.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0182.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0183.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0184.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0185.jpg

thepacman
02-20-2010, 01:38 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0167.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0179.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0175.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0179.jpg

Bump

FATHER FLEX
02-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Wow!

thepacman
02-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Wow!

THANKS!!! Hoping to bring some more good progress these next couple weeks!

NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/500/65 - REFEED!!

Training
Quad/Ham Hyper Work

Hack Squats
M_z59NqsFQM&feature=channel

3pps x 12
3pps x 10

Glute Ham Raise
7_M5ycF76_I&feature=channel
bw x 8 x 3

Am I doing these right? Critiques welcome. Am I going down far enough? Butt sticking up to high? I know when I throw my arms back it makes it easier...

Leg Press - Single Leg
2pps + 10lbs x 20
3pps + 10lbs x 12
4pps + 10lbs x 8 Drop to 2pps x 10 Drop to two legs x 20 reps

Lying Ham Curl
120 x 15
140 x 12
160 x 8 Drop to 100 x 8 Drop to 60 x 8

Single Leg Extension
90 x 15
90 x 15 Drop to 10 more on each leg

Leg Slide
50 reps

Adductor SS Abductor
stack x 12 SS 110 x 12
stack x 12 SS 110 x 12
stack x 12 SS 110 x 15

Also a little upper body posing practice

3W-mM_KRGsk&feature=channel

BaFtub
02-20-2010, 02:37 PM
How're you feeling? Because you're looking great. That front dub reminds me of zane!

ehlisl
02-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Phil! :eek: Looking sick and 17 weeks out! This is going to be a good year buddy!!

Vids are looking great too! On the GHR just try and not bend too much from the hips through the movement, this will allow a grater ROM. You are actually making it harder by having your body come forward too far at the bottom of the movement which also makes your ass stick out.

Edit: It looks like your knees are hardly on the bench, try scooting forward toward the other side of the bench next time, may help a little.

thepacman
02-22-2010, 07:35 AM
How're you feeling? Because you're looking great. That front dub reminds me of zane!

Thanks Brett! I'm pretty sure I'm not worthy of any sort of attribution to Zane, but thanks :) Zane was the man and I really look up to the aesthetic nature of his physique.

I have been feeling actually great. My energy levels are still very high, but I can attribute this to the fact I am still eating 300 carbs and getting decent sleep cause my cardio schedule is still light. Strength in the gym is still very high. I have lost a tad bit of strength on some of my compound chest pressing, but not enough to be worried about...and after all I have been on a minor deficit for quite a while now so I am more then pleased at where my strength is. I appreciate you following man.

Phil! :eek: Looking sick and 17 weeks out! This is going to be a good year buddy!!

Vids are looking great too! On the GHR just try and not bend too much from the hips through the movement, this will allow a grater ROM. You are actually making it harder by having your body come forward too far at the bottom of the movement which also makes your ass stick out.

Edit: It looks like your knees are hardly on the bench, try scooting forward toward the other side of the bench next time, may help a little.

Thanks Luke! Thanks for the comments on my form, I am in complete agreement with you. I knew it wasn't quite right so that's why I wanted to film it. I think your right too about my knee placement, something has felt a bit off with it. I think I need to scootch back a tad on the pad to give myself more support, that may be why I am having to stick my butt out so much to balance.

I went back and looked how layne does it...
YZXTXw-qrqU&feature=channel
His butt does stick out a bit on the way up but his knees are way further back on the pad giving his quads a little support. Not to mention his ROM is far greater then mine, lol..I'll try that next time.

COZ999
02-22-2010, 07:46 AM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0169.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0171.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0173.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0174.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0176.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/IMG_0178.jpg

Awesome progress! Food for thought try moving your hands higher on you rhips above the illiad crest for your Rear lat spread. It improves the taper and it also allows you to bring your hands a little further forward. I am nowhere and expert poser but I do believe I have this pose down pretty well

jked4life
02-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Looking very good! Things are certainly coming along in here. Can't wait to see how you progress over the next few weeks.

RichKnapp
02-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Looking very good! Things are certainly coming along in here. Can't wait to see how you progress over the next few weeks.

I second this.

thepacman
02-23-2010, 06:17 AM
Awesome progress! Food for thought try moving your hands higher on you rhips above the illiad crest for your Rear lat spread. It improves the taper and it also allows you to bring your hands a little further forward. I am nowhere and expert poser but I do believe I have this pose down pretty well

Thanks Coz! I was trying to keep my hands near where I thought my lats were inserted to get the most out of the spread but I agree I may be able to get a bit more. I'll try out your technique and see how it works. Thanks!

I second this.

Thanks guys...it's great to be prepping along side of people. Really adds a lot of extra support that I have never had in my past preps. I won't disappoint!

thepacman
02-23-2010, 06:27 AM
Well surprisingly enough the 50 carb drop that Joe implemented almost 2 weeks didn't provide the results he was looking for. I lost a pound immediately but came to a crawl after that. I'm still actually up a poundish from my refeed on Saturday. Joe wants to make sure were losing at around 1.5 pounds per week and not let things get slow. He's keeping my macros the same (245p/300/65f) but adding an additional 4 SS cardios a week at 20 minutes each. That combined with my 2 HIIT sessions brings me to cardio 6 days a week. Wow, it's about to get serious.

Yesterday I had off from the gym and I did my HIIT at night. This morning I woke up early, took some BCAAs and a small amount of carbs and did my steady state. Then some more BCAAs and had my breakfast. Ahh back in the swing of morning cardio. It's been a while since I have done this. I'd much rather do cardio in the morning though and keep it away from my training at night. I want to focus on feeding my training and not having to get in the cardio afterwards. Just gotta make sure I am getting enough sleep at night.

thepacman
02-23-2010, 05:33 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/300/65

TRAINING
AM Cardio - SS 20 minutes
PM Workout - Back/Bi/Calf Power

Pull Ups
A couple sets just to warm up

DB Row
50 x 15
70 x 12
90 x 10
110 x 8 - End of Warm Up
150 x 5
160 x 5
170 x 5
190 x 4 - PR!

DB Curl
60 x 6
65 x 5
60 x 5 - Dropped to weight to concentrate on my form
60 x 5

Calves on Leg Press
All done slow, with a squeeze at the top and a pause at the bottom
600 x 6
800 x 4 - Dropped weight again to concentrate on form
600 x 6
600 x 6

I am becoming much more conscience of my volume on power days. Really just wanna hit it with everything I got and then get outta the gym. Trying to limit all my workouts (power and hypertrophy) to only an hour.

thepacman
02-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Had some great workouts these past two days. A little recap...

2/24/10 - Shoulder/Trap/Ab Power

Seated DB Press
80 x 5
85 x 5
85 x 5
90 x 5 - Really happy I still pushed this out.

Power Upright Row
Not really sure if this is a move, lol. But basically an upright row not strict in form - more of a full body movement.

175 x 5
195 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 5
245 x 2 - Sore today!

Weighted Ab Work

2/25/10 - Legs Power

Squat
Bar x 20
95 x 15
135 x 8
185 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 5
365 x 3
zAcNI6BBGT0
Awesome song going here...haha

405 x 3
xLW6cu8h4q8&feature=channel
A little help from my spotter on the last rep.

Romanian Deadlift
225 x 5
275 x 5
315 x 5
8tZg2FkNsNM&feature=channel

365 x 4
RKelWubVPUQ&feature=channel

Never been this strong at 190lbs!

jked4life
02-26-2010, 12:54 AM
I feel the same way about splitting the cardio. Best news all prep was when Berto told me he wanted me to split with the cardio in the morning and weights at night. I do my cardio at 5 am and get hours of break and then can blast a quick and dirty weight session out later in the evening.

Workouts are too long with them combined IMO. Especially when starting to get run down from dieting...

Great job on those lifts. Serious weight with some nice form kept there.

thepacman
02-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Yup that's exactly how I handle it. Your working with Berto now? I must have missed that, or have you been working with him the whole time?

Yeah training is like the MAIN event of the day. The goal of the prep is to preserve muscle so I save most of my carbs for pre and post workout and keep the cardio away. I have been doing it in the mornings like you, with just a small amount of carbs and some BCAAs in my system. Last night I actually ate then trained then ate again and then did my steady state a couple hours later. I would much rather get the meal in there after training.

XManPaul
02-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Hey Phil,

You look great! I think you are gonna do very well in you future shows especially with how you look this far out. What bodytype do you consider yourself? Ecto/Meso/Endo or a slight combination?

-Paul

FATHER FLEX
02-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Love watching your vids, form is always ON like KONG! :D

thepacman
02-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Hey Phil,

You look great! I think you are gonna do very well in you future shows especially with how you look this far out. What bodytype do you consider yourself? Ecto/Meso/Endo or a slight combination?

-Paul

Wow thanks Paul! Yeah I didn't want to leave anything to chance this year. I have never gotten freaky lean so I needed to give myself plenty of time. When did you win your pro card? You've got a pro physique for sure...that avi is sick!

I think I have more meso tendencies then anything else. So far I have been able to keep a decent amount of carbs in. We'll see how low I have to dip in order to get freaky. But overall I lose pretty easy and gain pretty easy.

Love watching your vids, form is always ON like KONG! :D

Well your the king of kongs for sure...so thanks!!

Taking video of your form is always so humbling, I try and stay on my best behavior ;)

thepacman
02-28-2010, 09:01 AM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/500/65

Woke up and had some BCAAs and a small amount of carbs and did some MISS for 20 minutes. Ate a nice big refeed breakfast and hit the gym for a great chest workout!

TRAINING
Chest/Bi Hyper

Smith Incline
225 x 10
225 x 9
225 x 9 Drop to 135 x 10

Hammer Strength Incline SS Pec Dec Fly
2pps x 11 SS 170 x 10
2pps x 11 SS 170 x 8
2pps x 12 SS 170 x 8 Drop to 100 x 6 Drop to 50 x 10

Low Incline DB Fly SS Low Incline Hammer Strength
40 x 12 SS 90 x 14
60 x 8 SS 90 x 10
70 x 4 Drop to 40 x 4 SS 90 x 9

90 x 10
90 x 10
100 x 8
110 x 8

Spyder Curl
55 x 8 Drop to 35 x 8
55 x 10 SS 35 x 10
55 x 12 SS 35 x 12
35 x 25 reps

coloBB
02-28-2010, 09:04 AM
500g of CHO.... thats like bulking numbers... love it!:)

Quelly
03-01-2010, 08:33 PM

almost....I am on 470 lol :(

btw fantastic form on the rdls

XManPaul
03-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Hey No problem Phil, you deserve some good positive feedback. You are prepping the correct way and you are busting you @## to achieve your best package on stage to date! And i think you are definitely going to do it in spades.

As for me, thanks for the kind words. I have been around natural bodybuilding for a longtime, and i always thought i had really good potential, but i have been plagued with injuries since my last show in may of 2007. I was really on a role at that point, and i would def be a little bigger now if i never did.

I won my NGA Pro card in the spring of 05' when i was 21, and i won my WNBF Card in april of 07' @ INBF Northern States Super Natural, then did the Pro American the week after. Then tore my hamstring 2 months later playing softball (idiot), then the injuries kept coming! If you want to see some footage of me, go to youtube and type my last name "iatomasi" in the search, and you will see footage of me, my dad and my younger bro, we are all WNBF Pros.

Keep up the good work my friend, i will monitor your progress, you have a great natural structure. Wide shoulders, and a wide back! That is so important in this sport.

thepacman
03-02-2010, 11:41 AM

almost....I am on 470 lol :(

Haha well I only get it once a week, but it's the most glorious day of the week. I have been lucky so far that I have been able to keep my carbs sky high. I guess that's another advantage of long preps.

btw fantastic form on the rdls

Thanks E!! I was hoping I was accurate with them. I've read a lot about correct form but every time I get on youtube to look at others, you get a whole mess of odd forms. I don't think many people know the difference between RDLs and SLDs. But I have always felt this way in my hams like Woh. So I stick with it.

thepacman
03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey No problem Phil, you deserve some good positive feedback. You are prepping the correct way and you are busting you @## to achieve your best package on stage to date! And i think you are definitely going to do it in spades.

As for me, thanks for the kind words. I have been around natural bodybuilding for a longtime, and i always thought i had really good potential, but i have been plagued with injuries since my last show in may of 2007. I was really on a role at that point, and i would def be a little bigger now if i never did.

I won my NGA Pro card in the spring of 05' when i was 21, and i won my WNBF Card in april of 07' @ INBF Northern States Super Natural, then did the Pro American the week after. Then tore my hamstring 2 months later playing softball (idiot), then the injuries kept coming! If you want to see some footage of me, go to youtube and type my last name "iatomasi" in the search, and you will see footage of me, my dad and my younger bro, we are all WNBF Pros.

Keep up the good work my friend, i will monitor your progress, you have a great natural structure. Wide shoulders, and a wide back! That is so important in this sport.

Wow two pro cards! And at such a young age! And 3 pros in the family! I think your right in saying that your potential is high :) That's ridiculous. You guys must have some killer sessions in the gym together. Think you will ever all battle it out on the pro stage together?

Injuries will definitely slow you down, but you have too great of a physique to let it get the best of you. I'm sure your taking the proper steps to recovery. When do you plan on getting back on stage?

I seriously appreciate the kind words. Like the normal bodybuilder, I constantly question my physique and structure on a daily basis, so it's a blessing to here such positive feedback from you and others on here. Wide shoulders and back are definitely my strong points, but unfortunately that curses me with a lack of thickness. Always been hard for me to fill out at 6 feet tall. Thanks so much for stopping in, I appreciate any advice/feedback you have to offer!

Looking up your youtube stuff now...

EDIT: Just watched the NGA Northeast 2007 Pro Show...you looked great! How did you place and what was your stage weight?

thepacman
03-02-2010, 06:24 PM
2-28-10

Back/Trap/Calf

Hamer Strength BTN Pulldown
2pps x 10
3pps x 8 x 3 Last set drop to 2pps x 8 then 1 pps x 8

Sumo Stance Low Rack Pulls SS Smith Row
225 x 10 SS 135 x 10
315 x 8 SS 135 x 15
405 x 6 SS 135 x 15
405 x 7 SS 135 x 15

Iso Later Front Lat Pulldown SS Cable Close Grip Pulldown
2pps x 10 SS 120 x 8
2pps x 10 SS 120 x 10
2 pps x 12 SS 120 x 10

Straight Arm Pulldown
130 x 15
150 (stack) x 10

DB Shrug
Lots and supersets

Calfs
Lots of supersets

3-2-10

Shoulders/Tris/Abs

2pps x 12
2pps x 13
2pps x 12 Drop to 1pps x 10

Nautilus Shoulder Press SS Standing Machine Laterals SS Rear Pec Dec
125 x 10 SS 60 x 8 SS 120 x 15
140 x 8 SS 60 x 8 SS 140 x 15
155 x 8 SS 60 x 8 SS 160 x 15

Arnold Press
45 x 10
45 x 8
45 x 9 x 2

Tri Pushdowns
95 x 10
110 x 8
120 x 8 x 2

One Arm DB Ext SS Cable Kickbacks
Lots of supersets to get a good pump goin

Weighted Ab Work

thepacman
03-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Been feeling great lately. Have definitely been seeing good progress almost daily. This has been reaffirmed at the gym, been getting a lot of positive feedback. Morning weight was 189.4 today! Broke the 190 barrier. I'm usually 4 or so pounds heavier before I go to bed.

Been talking to Joe about my stage weight. He thinks in the lower 180s I'll be lean enough to see glutes, but the freaky, pro-level, nasty lean is still TBD. I feel like I'm withing 10 pounds give or take though! I'm willing to drop as low as necessary to be a walking anatomy chart!

XManPaul
03-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Wow two pro cards! And at such a young age! And 3 pros in the family! I think your right in saying that your potential is high :) That's ridiculous. You guys must have some killer sessions in the gym together. Think you will ever all battle it out on the pro stage together?

Injuries will definitely slow you down, but you have too great of a physique to let it get the best of you. I'm sure your taking the proper steps to recovery. When do you plan on getting back on stage?

I seriously appreciate the kind words. Like the normal bodybuilder, I constantly question my physique and structure on a daily basis, so it's a blessing to here such positive feedback from you and others on here. Wide shoulders and back are definitely my strong points, but unfortunately that curses me with a lack of thickness. Always been hard for me to fill out at 6 feet tall. Thanks so much for stopping in, I appreciate any advice/feedback you have to offer!

Looking up your youtube stuff now...

EDIT: Just watched the NGA Northeast 2007 Pro Show...you looked great! How did you place and what was your stage weight?

Yeah Phil,

it is VERY hard to fill out and get that real eye-popping thickness especially in the upper back and chest when you have wide shoulders. It takes more time, but if the wider guy can fill out enough where the thickness is close to his narrower competitor, the wider guy should always win (baring in mind they have wider guy doesnt lack anything else the narrower guy has).

I took 2nd in that pro show to wil usher. There were a chorus of boo's, and about 20 people in the audience told me i should of had it, including the promoter himself. But not bad for signing up for the show 6 days before, the show i really wanted was 2 weeks later for the WNBF Card.

Thanks Phil, and stay dialed in

thepacman
03-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Yeah Phil,

it is VERY hard to fill out and get that real eye-popping thickness especially in the upper back and chest when you have wide shoulders. It takes more time, but if the wider guy can fill out enough where the thickness is close to his narrower competitor, the wider guy should always win (baring in mind they have wider guy doesnt lack anything else the narrower guy has).

I took 2nd in that pro show to wil usher. There were a chorus of boo's, and about 20 people in the audience told me i should of had it, including the promoter himself. But not bad for signing up for the show 6 days before, the show i really wanted was 2 weeks later for the WNBF Card.

Thanks Phil, and stay dialed in

Awesome! There is no shame in second, especially at a pro show. That's amazing. What was your weight there? You definitely had a ton of stage presence. And no shame in losing to WIll Usher, he is a great bodybuilder and a nice guy. I talked to him for a bit backstage at a show earlier this year. Best of luck to you and your come back from your injuries. I appreciate you following along. Let me know if you get around to making a journal!

thepacman
03-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Had a killer leg session on thursday. Killer as in I seriously can't walk straight.

Leg Extensions
Warm Up ending with
stack x 10 x 2 and some drop sets

Single Leg Press SS Reverse Lunge on Power Squat
400 x 8 SS 90 x 10 for 3 sets

Close stance Smith Squats
2pps x 13
2.5pps x 8
2.5pps x 8 Drop to 2 pps x 8 Drop to 1 pps x 10 Drop to bar x 30
^^^^
Ouch

Seated Ham Curl
195 x 10
225 x 10
255(stack) x 8
stack x 8 Drop to 135 x 8 Drop to 90 x 10

Adductor SS Abductor
Stack x 12 SS 100 x 10
Stack x 12 Drop to 100 x 15 SS 100 x 10 Drop to 50 x 10

I was really sore yesterday from it and my buddy that I haven't seen in forever called and was around town and wanted to do something active. So I said I had some HIIT I had to do. He seemed all about it! So I bundled up and we went outside to run some serious hill sprints in the freezing cold of the night. Jogged for a few minutes to warm up and then did 10 sets of sprints up this crazy steep hill in my neighborhood. He was able to finish 6 sets before he had to stop cause he was gonna puke. Actually I was pretty impressed considering he hadn't been active or done anything of that nature in a couple years! Haha just jumped right into some intense HIIT. Needless to say my legs are in pain.

ehlisl
03-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Had a killer leg session on thursday. Killer as in I seriously can't walk straight.

Nice work Phil, just your body letting you know you are doing it right :D

Quelly
03-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I seriously can't walk straight.

That's what she said....I mean great workout

thepacman
03-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Nice work Phil, just your body letting you know you are doing it right :D

Thanks! My body hates me, but I love it.

That's what she said....I mean great workout

lol. There is never a bad time for a that's what she said joke. In fact the more inappropriate the better.

thepacman
03-05-2010, 06:19 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/300/65

TRAINING

AM Cardio - SS 20 min - Target heart rate 110-120bpm.

PM Training
Chest/Tri Power

I seriously get nervous before my power days. They are much more mentally taxing for me then my higher rep work (although those days are arguably harder physically). I will not lose strength!!

Legs were so sore today I went for the BB incline cause I just didn't think I could kick up the heavy DBs off my knees, lol.

BB Incline
Lots of warm up - physically and mentally
225 x 5 - check
245 x 5 - check
255 x 3.9999999 - tiniest bit of help from the spotter. Microscopic spot.
265 x 2 - check

The last rep for on the 265 was probably the slowest I have ever pushed up a rep. If a feather had landed on the bar it would have come crashing down on me. I started laughing when I was finished. But during the rep I yelled at the spotter not to touch it. I HATE when spotters prematurely help. Don't touch!

Smith Close Grip Bench
225 x 5
235 x 5
245 x 5 x 2
My numbers keep going up on these!

Fifteen week out pics coming in the AM!

thepacman
03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Has anyone seen these...lol they are amazing.

zMb2iaBcL6Q&feature=player_embedded#
oe6787Xup9w&feature=player_embedded
sZtHwBIlM7Q&feature=player_embedded

thepacman
03-06-2010, 01:49 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0197.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0198.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0199.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0200.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0201.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0202.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0203.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0204.jpg

thepacman
03-06-2010, 01:51 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0205.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0206.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0209.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0210.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0211.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0218.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/IMG_0222.jpg

thepacman
03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/300/65

TRAINING
AM Cardio
SS for 20 mins

PM Weights
Shoulders/Traps/Calves Power
Warm Up
80 x 5
85 x 5
90 x 5
90 x 4

BB Shrugs
405 x 8
455 x 8 - Dropped the weight cause I wnated a better ROM
405 x 8
405 x 3

Plate Loading Donkey Calf
Stack (380) x 8
stack + 45 x 8
Stack + 90 x 8
Stack + 135 x 6
Stack + 180 x 4ish

My power days have been going really well since I really backed off the volume. My strength is really hanging in there - almost exactly what it was in the off season, maybe a hair lower on some of the key compound movements. It is much easier to maintain strength when you don't have the volume to go with it. Sometimes it doesn't feel like I am doing enough, but my strength is staying consistent so I know I am doing it right.

Holding a decent amount of refeed weight. Was pretty soft in the gym but veins were out playing. Gotta love the carbs. Getting a tad frustrated with my quads. Just wish they weren't so stubborn in holding fat. I dream of deep quad cuts. They almost disappear when I'm in off season. Gonna keep pushing till I'm just pulling skin everywhere!

ehlisl
03-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Making great progress in each set of pics Phil! You are more than on point for 15 and 16 weeks out still! You are coming into the best part of prep and and it's great to hear the strength is still holding up! Going to be good!! :D

thepacman
03-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Making great progress in each set of pics Phil! You are more than on point for 15 and 16 weeks out still! You are coming into the best part of prep and and it's great to hear the strength is still holding up! Going to be good!! :D

Thanks Luke! This is where it gets exciting. I love seeing new veins. It's like a present everytime I workout, lol.

thepacman
03-09-2010, 06:43 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/300/65

TRAINING
Legs Power

BB Squat
Bar x 20
95 x 20
135 x 15
185 x 10
End of Warm Up
315 x 5
325 x 5
345 x 5
365 x 5 - Two more reps than last week!
405 x 2

DB RDL
Switched it up to dumbells this week. It has been a while since I have used them for RDL.
120 x 5
140 x 5
160 x 5
160 x 5 - Whew! - laying on the ground after that.

thepacman
03-11-2010, 06:01 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/300/65

TRAINING
Chest/Tri/Abs Hypertrophy

Low Incline DB Press
90 x 8 Drop to 45 x 10 for 3 sets

Hammer Incline SS BW Dips
2pps x 10 SS bw x 10 for 2 sets
2pps x 13 SS bw x 10

Machine Bench SS Pec Dec
195 x 9 Drop to 90 x 10 Drop to 45 x 10 SS 140 x 10
for 3 sets

Cable Pushdowns
stack + 25lbs x 10 x 3

Rope Extensions SS Reverse Pull downs

Abs Supersets

Felt really good today. Felt tight and full, noticeably leaner. Joe has already mentioned that we are going to have plenty of time to increase food as we get further down the road. Can't imagine that I'll get to eat even more then I am now! Never thought I could prep like this. Snapped a quick phone pic post workout.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/Gym.jpg

BaFtub
03-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Face is starting to sink in! Lean!

jked4life
03-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Pics are looking great! Lifts are looking fantastic as well. You aren't loosing strength at all which is a great thing. You are certainly doing things the right way.

Felt really good today. Felt tight and full, noticeably leaner. Joe has already mentioned that we are going to have plenty of time to increase food as we get further down the road. Can't imagine that I'll get to eat even more then I am now! Never thought I could prep like this.

That's what I'm talking about! Best feeling in the world to reverse with a few weeks left. I almost cried tears of Joy when Berto told me we were doing that. That's your reward for hopping on things ahead of the curve and giving yourself time.

thepacman
03-12-2010, 06:05 AM
Face is starting to sink in! Lean!

Getting there! I def still have a lot of fat to lose though. I think I may be beach body ready, but it's time to take it to stage lean! I can still pinch fat pretty much everywhere. I sit here and play with the little fat molecules all the time, lol. And I can pinch significant amounts in the stubborn fat areas - lower abs, lower back, glutes, hams, inner quads. I think it will take a while for my quads to really lean out. But areas like my triceps want to striate already. In the right lighting I can see it coming in!

Pics are looking great! Lifts are looking fantastic as well. You aren't loosing strength at all which is a great thing. You are certainly doing things the right way.

That's what I'm talking about! Best feeling in the world to reverse with a few weeks left. I almost cried tears of Joy when Berto told me we were doing that. That's your reward for hopping on things ahead of the curve and giving yourself time.
MMmm getting rewarded with more carbs. I think I can get used to this. Not there yet though. Trying to get to your level of leanness first! Seriously dude, can't get over your lower lats, love it!

J_Bo
03-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Pics are lookin' awesome! Definitely on track to bring some SICK conditioning!

thepacman
03-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Pics are lookin' awesome! Definitely on track to bring some SICK conditioning!

Thanks Jason! I will NOT disappoint!

On another note just got the word from Joe to drop fats to 50g daily (from 65g). Had a slow week on the scale and he doesn't want slow down progress. Carbs are staying at 300g for a little while more. They are next to go but he wants to keep them up there for a bit longer. protein still 245g.

Ready...Set...Go!

Barn01
03-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I didn't want to thread jack ;)

Leaner then you were last show? Very nice. How far out are you?

2 wks fitness model search
3 wks Nationals
4 wks UFE bodybuilding and fitness model same day!

Then going for pizza and done for they year

Happy Birthday Bro. Hope you can enjoy it! Maybe a scheduled refeed? :) If you get a chance to take some updates, please do!

Thanks
Hell ya we're heading to the Keg tomorrow night and I'm dying for a steak and potato.

How is your prep coming and how far out are you now?

RichKnapp
03-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Looking pretty good there. ;)

thepacman
03-13-2010, 07:30 AM
I didn't want to thread jack ;)

2 wks fitness model search
3 wks Nationals
4 wks UFE bodybuilding and fitness model same day!

Then going for pizza and done for they year

Thanks
Hell ya we're heading to the Keg tomorrow night and I'm dying for a steak and potato.

How is your prep coming and how far out are you now?

Geez three weeks in a row. That's gonna be insane. In '08 I had a show one weekend, then one the next saturday, and then one the next day on Sunday (weird I know). That just about wiped me out. But hey you mine as well when your in condition. Have you done the fitness modeling before?

Enjoy that steak and potato! I'm eating 3 potatoes right now, for breakfast! haha refeed ftw!

Prep is great, should have some vids up later of today's workout. 14 and 15 weeks out. Then depending on the success of those, looking for some in July/August too.

Looking pretty good there. ;)

Thanks Rich. I'm no whole grain like you (that's my new nickname for your graininess. I just made it up now, as I was typing the sentence, you like it?) but I'll get there! ;)

thepacman
03-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Well woke up and finally had a drop in my weight. Hit 188lbs first thing AM. Did 20 mins of MISS and had a sweet refeed breakfast. Three potatoes diced up into small cubes and fried like homefries, with some eggs. MMMmm I love refeed breakfasts. Probably have a big bowl of pasta later.

Hit some shoulders/bis hypertrophy with my buddy Rick. He's shooting for the stage sometime later this year or next. We had a great workout, a lot of energy, lots of supersets, lots of drop sets and got it done. Didn't write down my workout today but have a couple update vids filmed courtusey of Rick! Vids don't do justice to da veinz! :) Nonetheless, enjoy..

-Vpv-Z2bCzY
V6sdCPuEdWI

RichKnapp
03-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Like the vid's ;)

Barn01
03-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Have you done the fitness modeling before?

Enjoy that steak and potato!

Prep is great, should have some vids up later of today's workout. 14 and 15 weeks out. Then depending on the success of those, looking for some in July/August too.

Nope never done fitness modeling yet but I'm told I have the right look for it so thought why not start the insanity with a simple runway and 1/4 turns. I better be the most ripped guy that shows up or I'll feel pretty silly. I'm entered in the muscular category. The event isn't tested but they said if it's "obvious" that someone is on the sauce then he's out. The other 2 events are tested so at least I should be on a level playing field.

Dude you're looking great at 14/15 weeks out. You'll come in much leaner than last time if you keep that pace up. Best of luck and I'll peer in once in a while to see how you're doing.

thepacman
03-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Like the vid's ;)
Thank you, thank you!

Nope never done fitness modeling yet but I'm told I have the right look for it so thought why not start the insanity with a simple runway and 1/4 turns. I better be the most ripped guy that shows up or I'll feel pretty silly. I'm entered in the muscular category. The event isn't tested but they said if it's "obvious" that someone is on the sauce then he's out. The other 2 events are tested so at least I should be on a level playing field.

Dude you're looking great at 14/15 weeks out. You'll come in much leaner than last time if you keep that pace up. Best of luck and I'll peer in once in a while to see how you're doing.
Fitness model with striated glutes...love it! Good luck with it all. You've put in all the hard work so it's just about having fun! Def post your results and some pics.

Yeah I already think I'm leaner then my last prep in 08. And about 13 pounds heavier. Most of that is because in 08 I did all the wrong steps to dieting, didn't give myself enough time, went keto towards the end, dropped water, flattened out, etc. So I was on stage at 175lbs at my lightest and that was dehydrated and flat and with a ton of muscle loss (and not even very lean, lol) So now I'm about 188-189 and just as lean if not leaner with 14 weeks left. Very excited! Thanks for stoppin in man!

thepacman
03-15-2010, 06:18 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/300/50

TRAINING
20 min SS - AM
Legs hypertrophy - PM

Leg Press
200 x 25
300 x 25
400 x 25
600 x 20
800 x 15
900 x 10
1000 x 8

Hack Squat SS Leg Press (feet closer)
2pps x 10 SS 400 x 10
3pps x 10 SS 400 x 10

Lying Leg Curl
100 x 20
130 x 15
150 x 10
170 x 8
170 x 8

Leg Extension
150 x 15 - Hold and Squeeze @ top
150 x 15

Add SS AB
stack x 12 SS 90 x 12
2 sets

Calfs on Leg Sled
4 sets of 15 reps - Slow and Full ROM
drop set on last set

Snapped a couple pics of my calves PWO
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/0315002008.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/0315002006.jpg

Cuts are a little soft in the pic cause they are so pumped. I can start to see some striations in them when they are cold.

Weight has been a bit stubborn for the past two weeks...been floating around 188-190. Seems like when I'm just about to make progress I have my refeed and that throws me off for a few days. I'm noticeably leaner, so I'm just waiting for the weight to reflect it, no biggy. Energy is still great, workouts are great, on track and ready to go! Gotta start thinking about my routine....

J_Bo
03-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Gotta love the calf veinage!

RichKnapp
03-15-2010, 06:53 PM
looking like earth worms got under your skin. ;) sweet.

AustrianOakJr
03-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Dude, you are a crazy man with your super sets and drops! Leg workouts look crazy. 405 for 2?? Thats a ton of weight for a 190 lb guy. Dang. Thought I was doing well till now!! :)

ehlisl
03-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Getting lean Phil! Starting to discover new things daily soon! :D Keep it rolling!!

thepacman
03-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Gotta love the calf veinage!
I do, I do, I dooo.

looking like earth worms got under your skin. ;) sweet.
I'm trying to grow a worm farm!

Dude, you are a crazy man with your super sets and drops!
Haha yeah I have been following Dr. Joe's basic protocol of one week heavy, core lifts and one week with brain-exploding intensity (still heavy though). He likes to keep the hypertrophy work to just an hour, something I struggle with but am trying to do. But balls to the wall for that hour...supersets, giant sets, drop sets, anything goes as long as your providing enough intensity for the volume.

Leg workouts look crazy. 405 for 2?? Thats a ton of weight for a 190 lb guy. Dang. Thought I was doing well till now!! :)
Yeah kinda strange I was lifting pretty much the same weight (maybe a tad more on some compounds) when I was 210lbs. Just goes to show you that fat loss doesn't have to mean muscle loss. Which you already know!

Getting lean Phil! Starting to discover new things daily soon! :D Keep it rolling!!
It's like a present every day! Thanks Luke!

thepacman
03-17-2010, 05:21 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/300/50

TRAINING
Chest/Tri/Ab Power

DB Incline
Warm Up
85 x 5
95 x 5
100 x 5
110 x 5
110 x 5

Smith Close Grip Bench
225 x 5
235 x 4 (hmm gotta step up my game)
235 x 5 (got it!)
245 x 5
255 x 3

Hanging Knee Raise
BW + 20 x 10 x 3

Cable Crunches
Stack x 12 x 3

_________
3-17-10

Woke up this morning and finally had my whoosh. It's about time. Woke up at 187.2. Wow! That's a 3 pound drop since my refeed and an all time low. Was feeling it today though. Pretty tired at work, had to go for a little walk at lunch, get some fresh air in the nice weather. Came home and did some hill sprints. Me vs. the Hill. I won. Can't wait for my last meal. Still have like 50 carbs left for the day. Gonna make some hash browns with my potatoes ;)

J_Bo
03-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Lookin strong, Phil! Especially at a new bw low!!!

thepacman
03-18-2010, 06:02 AM
Lookin strong, Phil! Especially at a new bw low!!!

Thank Jason, just trying to be like you ;)

thepacman
03-18-2010, 06:04 AM
Well I owe progress pics this weekend, but snapped a few on my webcam last night and was pretty please with them so figured I'd throw them up here too...

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/Photo29.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/Photo34.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/Photo31.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/Photo16.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/Photo40.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/Photo41.jpghttp://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l216/jownt/Progress%20Pics%203-6-10/Photo43.jpg

thepacman
03-19-2010, 06:36 AM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/300/50

TRAINING
20 min SS - AM
Pull Power - PM

Worked out with my buddy Rick again and had a monumental session.

Pull Ups
bw x 10 x 3

DB Row
55 x 15
65 x 12
80 x 10
100 x 6
150 x 6
_______
170 x 6
170 x 6
190 x 5
190 x 5

Next week I think I'm gonna stop at the 170s. I feel that I am losing my form too much when I go with the 190s, putting too much swing into it.

Cambered BB Curl
130 x 6
140 x 5
140 x 6
140 x 6

Same with the curls. Need to double check my form next week. Think I may be swinging a bit too much. I'll accept a tad bit of cheating on the curls, but don't want to get carried away.

Calves
Also hit 4-5 sets of some heavy angled calf raises. Nice and slow.

Back sore: Check
Bis sore: Check
Calves sore: Check

ehlisl
03-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Back sore: Check
Bis sore: Check
Calves sore: Check

Your body telling you did work!

Pics are looking great Phil, love the new Profile Pic!

kmaster82
03-19-2010, 10:33 PM
You are going to be a force by the time June comes. By the way you look now Joe will be adding back food at least a few weeks before your first show. Keep up the great work and you are really getting ripped and holding your size.

FATHER FLEX
03-20-2010, 12:01 AM
We are just running out of fat on you bro!

AustrianOakJr
03-20-2010, 04:34 AM
Looking good, man. TINY waist!!

thepacman
03-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Your body telling you did work!

Pics are looking great Phil, love the new Profile Pic!
Work I did. My biceps are still sore. I think I may have put a little too much strain on them. The weight may have been a bit too heavy and my form was compromised. Just got to keep that in check for next time. Thanks Luke!!!

You are going to be a force by the time June comes. By the way you look now Joe will be adding back food at least a few weeks before your first show. Keep up the great work and you are really getting ripped and holding your size.
Thanks Ken! Yeah Joe has mentioned that he already plans to do that which excites me. I sent him those web cam pics and he said that he couldn't be happier on his end which really made my day. As far as holding my size...I have been using Joe's NLP program and really liking it for prepping. Plus after seeing people like Eric go through their prep and lose almost no strength, I wasn't going to accept strength loss as a part of my prep either.

We are just running out of fat on you bro!
Haha I still play with all the fat marbles on me. Still holding a lot in the glutes and quads and lower back. It's just insane how much fat you don't realize you have. It definitely takes a long time to get FF lean!!

Looking good, man. TINY waist!! Thanks Sean! You made me curious and I measured my waist this morning...30.5" already. Wow, and I still have a good amount to go.

J_Bo
03-21-2010, 10:48 AM
looking DENSE, Phil! Awesome work!

thepacman
03-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Dense? wow, I don't think I have ever gotten that compliment before. Being 6" sucks in BBing, unless you got the mass...which I'm still trying to obtain. When I turn to the side I disappear. So I will definitely take that compliment, thanks!!

Quelly
03-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Dense? wow, I don't think I have ever gotten that compliment before. Being 6" sucks in BBing, unless you got the mass...which I'm still trying to obtain. When I turn to the side I disappear. So I will definitely take that compliment, thanks!!

I feel your pain brother! 6 footer here...however I have the opposite problem...narrow clavicles, wide waist, so I look thick from the side and narrow and blocky from the front...nothing a good bit more muscle can't fix though :)

You're looking really good man

XManPaul
03-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Yeah phil, your looking nasty bro! Has your diet changed at all in the past week or so? because you are getting TIGHT!

thepacman
03-22-2010, 06:24 AM
I feel your pain brother! 6 footer here...however I have the opposite problem...narrow clavicles, wide waist, so I look thick from the side and narrow and blocky from the front...nothing a good bit more muscle can't fix though :)

You're looking really good man
Thanks E I really appreciate that. Were the same height and possibly the same stage weight. What were you at your all time lowest? Low 180s right? I'm hoping I don't have to dip into the high 170s, but thats just my ego talking. In reality I don't care how low I have to go to be the freakiest guy there.

They should really have a whole separate category for us, the super talls.

Yeah phil, your looking nasty bro! Has your diet changed at all in the past week or so? because you are getting TIGHT!
Thanks Paul! Yeah you nailed it, about 2 weeks ago Dr. Joe cut off 15g of fat, bringing it from 65g to 50 a day. We did this instead of cutting carbs, so I am still having 300g carbs a day and 500 on my refeed. The cut in fat really helped keep me moving in weight, I was hitting a sticking point.

Quelly
03-22-2010, 01:16 PM
lowest morning weigh in was 181, on stage I was mid to high 180's with food and water etc in me...and hell I just keep looking at tall guys who have filled out their frames, check out ftpaul on the boards, paul dominated the short folks...dude is 6'2 I think, came in big and peeled though, we'll get there :)

thepacman
03-22-2010, 06:44 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/300/50

TRAINING
20 min SS - AM
Chest/Tri/Ab Hypertrophy - PM

Smith Incline
225 x 8
225 x 5
225 x 8 Drop to 135 x 8 Drop to 95 x 15

Low Incline Hammer Strength SS Cable Crossover
2pps x 10 SS 60 x 12
2pps x 10 SS 70 x 10
2pps x 10 SS 80 x 10

Cable Crossover
100 x 8 Drop to 70 x 8 Drop to 50 x 10

Incline Cable Press SS Incline Cable Fly
60 x 12 SS 40 x 8
80 x 10 SS 35 x 10
100 x 10 SS 35 x 8

Cable Pressdown
stack + 25 x 10 x 3

Skull Crusher (Dr. joe Style) SS One Arm DB Ext
70 x 8 SS 20 x 6
70 x 10 SS 20 x 7
90 x 8 SS 20 x 7
90 x 8 SS 20 x 6

Abbbbbsss

Was is the zone tonight. Blasted through it. Strength felt good. Pump was amazing. Veins growing by the day. Next stop freakville!

thepacman
03-22-2010, 06:48 PM
lowest morning weigh in was 181, on stage I was mid to high 180's with food and water etc in me...and hell I just keep looking at tall guys who have filled out their frames, check out ftpaul on the boards, paul dominated the short folks...dude is 6'2 I think, came in big and peeled though, we'll get there :)

Yeah Paul(FITallPaul) really represents the tall guys well. Actually at 5'11" Paul (XManPaul a few posts up) is quite the spectacle too. The thing is with tall guys, if they can fill out and are thick enough, they are a serious force to be reckoned with. They will just overpower the shorter guys on stage. But first I gotta fill out and get thick enough :) ahhh time and patience....

Quelly
03-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah Paul(FITallPaul) really represents the tall guys well. Actually at 5'11" Paul (XManPaul a few posts up) is quite the spectacle too. The thing is with tall guys, if they can fill out and are thick enough, they are a serious force to be reckoned with. They will just overpower the shorter guys on stage. But first I gotta fill out and get thick enough :) ahhh time and patience....

yes he is! And I agree...patience is key...that's why I get a big smile when I think I'm in all prville at this point in my offseason and I have like 9 months left of it :)

XManPaul
03-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Hey Phil,

The drop in fats is def making a difference! You are starting to get a grainier look now, and you still have a ton of time! Thanks for the props on the taller guy syndrome. It is true, if a taller guy with good structure (wide shoulders), can mold his physique properly and fill out and have round enough muscle bellies, they will be good! Same as you my friend, i feel you are very similar to me.

I am still contemplating making my own log to my return to the WNBF Stage. I want to try to make a comeback for this fall, but not sure. Had a 1 year layoff from my upper body, and i have been hitting it pretty good starting jan 1st this year. And have made decent gains. Muscle memory is a beautiful thing.

Keep it up, i will be checking on your progress, you should be very competitive at your shows. You might even want to hit up my INBF Natural USA Bodybuilding & Figure Championships October 9th, 2010, depending on how your season treats you and how your feeling.

thepacman
03-23-2010, 04:28 PM
yes he is! And I agree...patience is key...that's why I get a big smile when I think I'm in all prville at this point in my offseason and I have like 9 months left of it :)
Progress makes perfect :) The way you handled your last prep was so key for coming into a good off season. You set yourself up to succeed. Training was smart and diet was on point so muscle retention was maximized throughout prep. Reversed dieted out and planned out your training. You have no choice be to prevail.

Hey Phil,

The drop in fats is def making a difference! You are starting to get a grainier look now, and you still have a ton of time! Thanks for the props on the taller guy syndrome. It is true, if a taller guy with good structure (wide shoulders), can mold his physique properly and fill out and have round enough muscle bellies, they will be good! Same as you my friend, i feel you are very similar to me.

I am still contemplating making my own log to my return to the WNBF Stage. I want to try to make a comeback for this fall, but not sure. Had a 1 year layoff from my upper body, and i have been hitting it pretty good starting jan 1st this year. And have made decent gains. Muscle memory is a beautiful thing.

Keep it up, i will be checking on your progress, you should be very competitive at your shows. You might even want to hit up my INBF Natural USA Bodybuilding & Figure Championships October 9th, 2010, depending on how your season treats you and how your feeling.

Grainy is what I dream off :) And it only comes when you leave yourself enough time to diet and get lean. Lean is lean and that's that. People at my gym are like, "dude you have 12 weeks left your gonna lose muscle" and I just sit back and chuckle inside because they have no idea what it takes for naturals to get nasty conditioning. I consider myself beach body lean now. I want to get to "Are you feeling okay, you look ill" lean :) So thanks for the compliment, helps me feel reassured that I'm on my way there.

I think your right we do have a similar structure. You must get on stage in the 190s though? Seems like you have a significant more amount of size.

Show or not, I think you should still make a journal. It provides great support for off season or contest. I would love to see you back on the pro stage...would you shoot for Worlds? I guess what it would come down to for me (if I was you type of thing) is that I would only want to make a showing if I knew that I could be at my personal best. Obviously your a pro, so your not going to be half hearted about it. Do you think you have made some decent gains despite your set backs?

XManPaul
03-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Progress makes perfect :) The way you handled your last prep was so key for coming into a good off season. You set yourself up to succeed. Training was smart and diet was on point so muscle retention was maximized throughout prep. Reversed dieted out and planned out your training. You have no choice be to prevail.

Grainy is what I dream off :) And it only comes when you leave yourself enough time to diet and get lean. Lean is lean and that's that. People at my gym are like, "dude you have 12 weeks left your gonna lose muscle" and I just sit back and chuckle inside because they have no idea what it takes for naturals to get nasty conditioning. I consider myself beach body lean now. I want to get to "Are you feeling okay, you look ill" lean :) So thanks for the compliment, helps me feel reassured that I'm on my way there.

I think your right we do have a similar structure. You must get on stage in the 190s though? Seems like you have a significant more amount of size.

Show or not, I think you should still make a journal. It provides great support for off season or contest. I would love to see you back on the pro stage...would you shoot for Worlds? I guess what it would come down to for me (if I was you type of thing) is that I would only want to make a showing if I knew that I could be at my personal best. Obviously your a pro, so your not going to be half hearted about it. Do you think you have made some decent gains despite your set backs?

The last time i competed, i did 3 shows and i was in between 185-186.5 lbs saturday morning on an empty stomach. And i was just 1 slight level away from a Brian Whitacre type conditioning.

You are right....and that is my dilemma. I want to be at a personal best. I just don't want to do a show "just to look like a pro". I want to be competitive and be closing in on a top spot. In order for me to be at a "personal best"...i need to be a little bigger and rounder than before, at the same condition, or even a tad tighter with the same size as before or even a touch bigger as well (would just be gravy). I have been training my upper body again since jan 1st, and i have made some decent gains, and that is with hardly any supplements.

thepacman
03-24-2010, 07:22 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/300/50

TRAINING
Back/Bi/Calf Hypertrophy

Straight Bar Pull Down
180 x 10
180 x 10 Drop to 100 x 10
200 x 8 Drop to 100 x 10

Deadlifts (Conventional)
315 x 10 x 2

Seated Wide Grip Cable Row SS Close Grip Cable Pulldown
180 x 10 SS 100 x 10 - with a goood squeeze
220 x 10 SS 100 x 10
240 x 10 SS 100 x 10

This is about the time where I started talking with a buddy of mine and he said his friend will working with Layne and doing an OCB show that I have lined up in August. So I took a couple minutes to pose for him at 12 weeks out. He was pretty impressed :eek:, said I already had my last shows conditioning beat. Got some extra motivation and crushed the end of my workout.

Cable Pullovers
Just did some work.

DB Curl
40 x 10
50 x 9
60 x 8

Hammer Strength Preacher
2 plates x 10
2 plates x 9
2 plates x 8

The did a couple sets of single legged calf extensions on the leg press and supersetted that with a burn out of two legged extensions.

I'm getting to the point where people at the gym that didn't even realize I was dieting are starting to comment and ask what's going on. Haha, just one of the perks of prepping. And I'm still pretty wired from a low carb monster I had before workout. Goodness I love those things. Not even the effects, I just love the taste. Try not to drink them too often though.

thepacman
03-24-2010, 07:32 PM
The last time i competed, i did 3 shows and i was in between 185-186.5 lbs saturday morning on an empty stomach. And i was just 1 slight level away from a Brian Whitacre type conditioning.

You are right....and that is my dilemma. I want to be at a personal best. I just don't want to do a show "just to look like a pro". I want to be competitive and be closing in on a top spot. In order for me to be at a "personal best"...i need to be a little bigger and rounder than before, at the same condition, or even a tad tighter with the same size as before or even a touch bigger as well (would just be gravy). I have been training my upper body again since jan 1st, and i have made some decent gains, and that is with hardly any supplements.

Wow you must of been nasssty at 185. I look up to Whitacre. He may not be the biggest guy but his proportions and conditioning are awe inspiring. Definitely something to strive for. Well I think only you can judge whether you'll bring your best package to the pro stage. If you don't think you are there yet then I would hold off a bit and get a some good time with the weights and food and make some serious strides. Shows are won in the off season (I think Layne says that, I love that quote). But I know once you've been bitten by the bug it's easier said then done. Are your injuries fully recovered? Cause once you start preppin you don't want any serious nagging injuries to hold you back.

Where is your show? I have a decent amount of shows lined up, the last one ending in August. I have been slowly cutting for a heck of a long time now so I can only hope I come out on top before October roles around, but don't want to rule anything out yet.

XManPaul
03-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks Phil. My shoulder and pec are still a little messed up, just trying to train around it. The thing that sucks now, is that out of the blue my right knee is messed up. Has been for around a month, i have to get it looked at.

Our show is on October 9th in Rochester, NY and its a WNBF Pro-Qualifer. It should be a tough show!

thepacman
03-27-2010, 01:41 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/500/50 REFEED FTW!

TRAINING
Legs Hypertrophy

Hack Squat ATG
Warm Up
2pps x 12
3pps x 12 x 2

Leg Press
600 x 15
800 x 15

Leg Extensions
195 x 12 x 3
Hold and Squeeze at the top. Tried to drop set the last couple but couldn't get many, lol.

Kneeling Leg Curl
50 x 20
95 x 15
140 x 10
165 x 10
190 x 8

Adductor SS Abductor
Stack x 12 SS 100 x 12 (with butt elevated) x 3

Overall a great workout, thanks to a great refeed breakfast of pancakes! Seem like being in a deficit for so long is starting to catch up with me a tad. This past week I managed to sleep 6.5-7 hours a night which is really good for me, but by Friday I was still pretty out of it. It was hard to concentrate and felt a bit sluggish. Ended up crashing at 10:30 at night and sleeping like a baby. Haven't really used much fat burners yet. A couple times a week before workouts I will cause I don't use any pre workout supps (water and carbs FTW). Will have some coffee and diet sodas, but might start thinking about being regular with my fat burners for the energy. We'll see how this week goes, I'm hoping I won't have to.

12 weeks out!!

thepacman
03-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks Phil. My shoulder and pec are still a little messed up, just trying to train around it. The thing that sucks now, is that out of the blue my right knee is messed up. Has been for around a month, i have to get it looked at.

Our show is on October 9th in Rochester, NY and its a WNBF Pro-Qualifer. It should be a tough show!

Geez man those injuries sounds rough. Nothing worse than injuries cause you know you have to back off the intensity and be smart about training. The trick is to really listen to your body and let them heal so they won't stick around for a long time. I had to avoid deadlifts and bent over rows cause of my lower back for a long time. I have just starting to incorporate them again but very carefully. It sucked without them! Everytime I tried to throw them in I would get overzealous and go to heavy and boom, hurt it all over again :(

J_Bo
03-27-2010, 09:28 PM
what is a kneeling leg curl?

thepacman
03-28-2010, 02:03 PM
NUTRITION
P/C/F
245/300/50 - Back to the "I'm hungry" macros. Refeeds are always such a tease.

TRAINING

Chest/Tri Power
DB Flat Press
Warm Up
100 x 5
110 x 5
120 x 5
130 x 4 - Was thinking of doing another set, but my lower back kept tweaking on me. My form was in check but I didn't want to risk anything.

Smith CGBP
2 pps x 5
2pps + 20lbs x 5 x 3

Decline Weighted Abs
Just a couple quick sets before the gym closed.

Still have some cardio to take care of later tonight. The days after my refeed are always so tough cause I get really hungry. Yesterday's refeed didn't even seem to satisfy me. Have been consistently up just 1 pound after my refeeds. Lot's to do in 12 weeks...lot's of fat to burn.

thepacman
03-28-2010, 02:05 PM
what is a kneeling leg curl?

This beastly machine!

http://www.gymsource.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/265x/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/C/Y/CYBEX-5240_L_1.jpg

The Solution
03-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Always been a bigtime lurker, but keep putting in work man. Dr. Joe is a great guy and I met him at the WNBF Worlds show. You have a great coach and you are really pushing to bring an outstanding package to the stage.

thepacman
03-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Always been a bigtime lurker, but keep putting in work man. Dr. Joe is a great guy and I met him at the WNBF Worlds show. You have a great coach and you are really pushing to bring an outstanding package to the stage.

Thanks! I appreciate the lurkers just as much as the commentors. Bob isn't it? I've lurked around your journal before as well, and like I said I saw Martin's little blog on your progress. IF is fascinating and I enjoy reading about it. Very jealous that you got to meet him. I'm thinking I may have to make a trip up to worlds this year too, it's only a few hours from me. Thanks for stopping in!

thepacman
03-29-2010, 06:35 AM
A little update on the scale...this morning I stepped on at 184.6. Just crazy. I went and looked at myself in the mirror and realized that I'm no where near where I really want to get to (i.e. Whitacre conditioning). Bring on the HIIT!

http://www.brianwhitacre.net/Pictures/Thumbnails/Model%20Pics/09Pic1.JPG

The Solution
03-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks! I appreciate the lurkers just as much as the commentors. Bob isn't it? I've lurked around your journal before as well, and like I said I saw Martin's little blog on your progress. IF is fascinating and I enjoy reading about it. Very jealous that you got to meet him. I'm thinking I may have to make a trip up to worlds this year too, it's only a few hours from me. Thanks for stopping in!

Yup you got the name correct, and thanks about the article, just happens to suit my lifestyle of being an education major and I enjoy eating larger more satisfying meals. It really is something people do not understand, but once you apply it to your life it really just becomes something you do not think about.

Come out to Worlds! I will be there next year to see Rob Moran on stage, and hopefully a couple other scivation athletes!

thepacman
03-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Yup you got the name correct, and thanks about the article, just happens to suit my lifestyle of being an education major and I enjoy eating larger more satisfying meals. It really is something people do not understand, but once you apply it to your life it really just becomes something you do not think about.

Come out to Worlds! I will be there next year to see Rob Moran on stage, and hopefully a couple other scivation athletes!

Well I would say that from what I have read about it, it seems to really make sense and really tackle the whole eating every 3 hours myth. Hey you even got Alan on your side now ;) Meal frequency is something that I have played around with this prep. I have been waiting more on the side of 4 hours between meals (it's no 18 hours I know, lol) and only eating 5 times a day. But it does make life a little easier. I enjoy not having to run to a microwave every couple hours and also appreciate the slightly larger meals while in a deficit. I also feel like it give that extra bit of time to dip into my fat stores in between meals. That may just be a bro way to looks at it, because it is probably offset by the fact that my meals are a bit larger thus taking longer to digest, but I dunno...so far so good. Overall for any diet, it proves true that total daily calories trumps every other nit picky detail you can stress over and ruin a diet with.

And yes, I'll put it in my plans to come up to Worlds!

Quelly
03-29-2010, 06:34 PM
there was recently a study on increased protein intake and frequent meals....higher protein levels decreased hunger....but frequent meals INCREASED hunger....so yeah....the idea that you need more frequent meals, during prep especially is misguided, however it may have its place in the offseason for somebody who has trouble getting food in.

thepacman
03-30-2010, 06:23 AM
there was recently a study on increased protein intake and frequent meals....higher protein levels decreased hunger....but frequent meals INCREASED hunger....so yeah....the idea that you need more frequent meals, during prep especially is misguided, however it may have its place in the offseason for somebody who has trouble getting food in.

Very much agree. Most likely the reason how the whole frequent eating boosts metabolism myth came about. When people ate more frequently they became more hungry, thus assuming their metabolism was faster. And if they miss a meal they go catabolic :eek: Really has no validity and most people aren't even finished digesting their previous meal before they start another one. Metabolism has much more to with with food volume then frequency (not to mention genetics).

The Solution
03-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Well I would say that from what I have read about it, it seems to really make sense and really tackle the whole eating every 3 hours myth. Hey you even got Alan on your side now ;) Meal frequency is something that I have played around with this prep. I have been waiting more on the side of 4 hours between meals (it's no 18 hours I know, lol) and only eating 5 times a day. But it does make life a little easier. I enjoy not having to run to a microwave every couple hours and also appreciate the slightly larger meals while in a deficit. I also feel like it give that extra bit of time to dip into my fat stores in between meals. That may just be a bro way to looks at it, because it is probably offset by the fact that my meals are a bit larger thus taking longer to digest, but I dunno...so far so good. Overall for any diet, it proves true that total daily calories trumps every other nit picky detail you can stress over and ruin a diet with.

And yes, I'll put it in my plans to come up to Worlds!

Agreed with this. At first I thought it was crazy, but decided what the heck why not try it. Once you push aside the broscience that is pushed on these boards everyday and apply these things to your life you will notice that it truly defeats the purpose of what is preached. Eating so often is only a hassell to me. I never felt good eating multiple meals a day, I felt louzy and sluggish, and my workout were worse when i ate a bunch before them (I would spit up rice when I would deadlift and stuff like that). My energy is a lot better when i have little/nothing before a workout and train with BCAA's.

There are multiple ways to skin the cat, its finding what is optimal for you and sticking to it. That is what it comes down to. If you eat 2 meals a day or 7 meals a day. Thats your choice!

Sporto1633
03-30-2010, 04:49 PM

Not to mention if the protein content of those meals aren't enough, then you develop a refractory response to protein synthesis - which is the natty's ultimate no-no

Sporto