PDA

View Full Version : Important Bill Starr 5x5 workout questions

1harud1
10-27-2009, 06:27 PM
1. What does it mean on the assistance parts at the bottom of the bill starr 5x5 routine program thing. The parts where it has the days each workout should be done. Especially the assistance part on monday.

2. I just started the program this morning, i am skinny 14 year old who can't bench much so don't make fun of me please. On my last set where i actually do my 5rm, I am straining to get the bar up and can get it up with a little assistance from my dad. On the set before that I can do 5 with just a little shaking. So is my max set 4 or 5. 4 is the one i do with little shaking.

3.And is this the right increments for ramping weight. 35, 45, 55, 65, 75 75 being my 5rm.

4. For the 35 pounds which is a barbell with 2 5 pound weights. is that ok if i use the barbell?

Thx answers 2 these questions would be heavily appreciated.

xXDeadmanXx
10-27-2009, 07:32 PM
1. Those are referring to assistance exercises. They are exactly what they sound like.
2. If you are a skinny 14 year old who can't bench much, you should be running a novice program like Starting Strength, not an intermediate program like Bill Starr's 5x5. You aren't ready for this program. Also, if you just started today and are failing on the fifth set, you started off way too heavy. You aren't even supposed to touch your 5RM until week 4.
3. You've been ramping incorrectly. You should use the spread sheet when you are an intermediate and ready to run this program.
4. That is fine.

Run a novice program like Starting Strength. You will see faster strength progression on that than you will on this.

scrappie345
10-27-2009, 07:33 PM
1. Those are referring to assistance exercises. They are exactly what they sound like.
2. If you are a skinny 14 year old who can't bench much, you should be running a novice program like Starting Strength, not an intermediate program like Bill Starr's 5x5. You aren't ready for this program. Also, if you just started today and are failing on the fifth set, you started off way too heavy. You aren't even supposed to touch your 5RM until week 4.
3. You've been ramping incorrectly. You should use the spread sheet when you are an intermediate and ready to run this program.
4. That is fine.

Run a novice program like Starting Strength. You will see faster strength progression on that than you will on this.

listen to this guy. this program is not for you right now

ThiZzNation925
10-27-2009, 07:37 PM
This isn't the right program for you at the moment. Learn the lifts, get good at them, then follow up with this routine. I suggest:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
(Starting Strength, as mentioned by Deadman)