PDA

View Full Version : im training boxing/wrestling 5 days a week should i cut down on lifting?

bigmane123
10-23-2009, 03:00 AM
for the last 2 weeks ive been training boxing n wrestling 5 days a week 2 hrs a day should i still lift every after or cut down on lifting and just focus on fighting?

i lift 6 days a week
are there any special lifts that will get my punching power up?

Croaker
10-23-2009, 07:30 AM
I just seperate my lifting and my training by about four hours, so I can replenish liver glycogen stores.

As for increasing punching power, as long as you're using correct form most of the power should be coming from your hips. So anything that involves a lot of hips, such as kettlebell swings, turkish get ups, power cleans, etc.

bigmane123
10-23-2009, 04:17 PM
I just seperate my lifting and my training by about four hours, so I can replenish liver glycogen stores.

As for increasing punching power, as long as you're using correct form most of the power should be coming from your hips. So anything that involves a lot of hips, such as kettlebell swings, turkish get ups, power cleans, etc.

dose lifting slow u down? my friend whos state champ in karate dosent ever lift and hes rly fast n strong he says it slows him down

parkerbro1
10-23-2009, 04:23 PM

This, just be careful of recovery. Think of your fight training as cardio.

dose lifting slow u down? my friend whos state champ in karate dosent ever lift and hes rly fast n strong he says it slows him down

It shouldn't. It might only if you focus to much on power in your techniques. I have noticed those with big muscles tend to be slower and telegraph their intentions, but I think that's because they are trying too hard. This ends up making them use too many contrary muscles to the technique they are attempting. Try thinking loose, "boneless", and speed when striking.

IronNerves
10-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I fight and lift, you just need to make sure you stretch before and AFTER you lift and do your martial arts. You get alot better stretch afterward because your muscles are warm

King Baer
10-24-2009, 12:38 AM
I mean just don't overtrain. If you can handle the lifting, go for it.

Take your resting heart rate every single morning. If it goes up 10 bpms from "normal".. then that's a clear sign you're overtraining. Take a few days off, or adjust your training schedule.

Are you trolling about punching power lifts? It's all core power, so deads, cleans, etc. Plank holds are also good IMO.