PDA

View Full Version : Weight training & birth control...

SugarKane
10-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I've been working out very well for the past 3 months. I started taking birth control 2 weeks ago (Yaz) and I have noticed a decrease in my training ability at the gym. I've read that it does affect training and I;ve also read that it doesnt.

Anyone else notice this at all? Any suggestions?

samanthalynne21
10-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I've been working out very well for the past 3 months. I started taking birth control 2 weeks ago (Yaz) and I have noticed a decrease in my training ability at the gym. I've read that it does affect training and I;ve also read that it doesnt.

Anyone else notice this at all? Any suggestions?

i had really bad side-affects with YAZ, I'm going off in about three days actually and switching to ortho. i noticed i gained a lot of water weight and it was impossible to see any progress within my four-five month span of using it. i was also completely depressed and crying ALL the time. it could be different for you, but all of my friends are on it and they're switching as well. good luck.

Nightbird573
10-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I'll post it again. :)

There was an article in MF Hers about this: A recent study from Texas A&M University found oral contraceptives might prevent you from making the gains you seek in the gym. When two groups of women ages 18-31 participated in a ten week resistance training program, both consuming one-third more protein daily than U.S. nutrition guidelines call for, those who didn't use oral contraceptives gained more than 60% more muscle mass than the contraceptive group. Oral contraceptives appear to work against the development of lean muscle by blocking anabolic hormones.

GoutDeMiel
10-09-2009, 12:23 PM

There was an article in MF Hers about this: A recent study from Texas A&M University found oral contraceptives might prevent you from making the gains you seek in the gym. When two groups of women ages 18-31 participated in a ten week resistance training program, both consuming one-third more protein daily than U.S. nutrition guidelines call for, those who didn't use oral contraceptives gained more than 60% more muscle mass than the contraceptive group. Oral contraceptives appear to work against the development of lean muscle by blocking anabolic hormones.

hrm. oral contaceptives, eh?

did they mention anything about something like the NuvaRing that has a much lower dosage of horomones?

Nightbird573
10-09-2009, 01:00 PM
hrm. oral contaceptives, eh?

did they mention anything about something like the NuvaRing that has a much lower dosage of horomones?

There was no mention of the shots/vaginal inserts/patches. I can only assume that any birth control would have some sort of effect similar to that of the oral contraceptives, but there may be more studies that you could search for to get more answers. I do not use birth control at all b/c I think the health risks are too great, but this is just a personal choice.

SugarKane
10-09-2009, 02:25 PM

thank you...I also did read this article.