PDA

View Full Version : mayo question

shaolin master
04-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Is it safe to have regular mayonnaise while in ketosis? it says 0 carbs but the ingredients say sugar.

scotty2
04-21-2003, 11:46 PM
it's safe

RonJ73
04-22-2003, 12:32 AM
Mayo is VERY keto friendly.

chimponarope
04-22-2003, 06:09 AM
Oh hell yeah, I have 4 types of mayo in my fridge :)

akondog
04-22-2003, 11:40 PM
big bump!

I even bought "The Big Squeeze" mayo for the fridge at work!

\ ||| /

James_D
04-23-2003, 04:54 AM
And it's extremely high in unsaturated fats if I remember correctly.

RonJ73
04-23-2003, 05:05 AM
Roughly 10g per 2 tablespoons, I think.

bkman4
04-23-2003, 10:45 AM
I'm prob. a little to anal bout this...but most mayo has trans fats....badddddd.

scotty2
04-23-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by bkman4
I'm prob. a little to anal bout this...but most mayo has trans fats....badddddd.

Not on keto bro.

JohnY
04-23-2003, 02:55 PM

Well everything is about moderation, so you gotta remember that. Having a variety of fat is good, and keeping to your calorie limit according to your plans (bulking or cutting or maintaining) is very important.

bkman4
04-23-2003, 10:22 PM
First off guys...not here tryin to start a war...just trying to learn.

Scotty, as far as I under stand it trans fats function in the same way on a lipid metabolism as on carbs. Do you have any contrary info?

And John...again as far as I understand it, trans fats are just plain bad. Moderation is needed of course if you are going to eat them regularly, but there is no need to eat them at all. IMHO they shouldn't be a part of our diets, peroid.

Thanks guys.

scotty2
04-23-2003, 10:59 PM
First off guys...not here tryin to start a war...just trying to learn.

Scotty, as far as I under stand it trans fats function in the same way on a lipid metabolism as on carbs. Do you have any contrary info?

And John...again as far as I understand it, trans fats are just plain bad. Moderation is needed of course if you are going to eat them regularly, but there is no need to eat them at all. IMHO they shouldn't be a part of our diets, peroid.

Thanks guys.

On a CKD, trans fats never get an opportunity to do aany damage. Whatever is not used for fuel is discarded in in KB's. I understand everyone's concern with trans fats, they should not comprise your entire daily fat intake, but they can be used somewhat liberally on CKD.

bkman4
04-23-2003, 11:02 PM
What are KB's? And do you have any studies that suggest trans fats would do this on a lipid metabolism...I'm assuming the same thing would prove true for Atikins too.

Thanks man.

scotty2
04-23-2003, 11:08 PM
What are KB's? And do you have any studies that suggest trans fats would do this on a lipid metabolism...I'm assuming the same thing would prove true for Atikins too.

Thanks man.

Ketone bodies

bkman4
04-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Thanks.

Is there any reason to believe that the body favors burining trans fatty acids over any other type of fat?

IPR
04-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Bump on bkmans comments.

Trans fats are not just bad they are VERY BAD.

It doesn't matter if you are on keto or not, don't eat trans fats.

Trans fats are a processed fat made by bubbling hydrogen through a polyunsaturated fat (soya bean oil is a favourite) in the presence of a nickel plate. This creates a molecular structure that is more easily packed and hence the semi-solid condition. It also has a VERY long shelf life compared to normal polyunsaturated fats.

Unfortunately, our bodies don't recognise these trans fats as being different and incorporate them in cell membranes, making them stiff along with a host of other problems.

I would very strongly recommend avoiding trans fats. Check labels and if it says hydrogenated fat or partially hydrogenated fat don't buy it.

Look for mayo made with canola oil or olive oil (rare though).

This isn't just mayo either, check out all the stuff you used to eat such as donuts, cakes, and most processed food. Margarine is another bad one, although some companies have removed the hydrogenated fats.....but replaced with something else just as bad (sorry don't recall the details).

IPR
04-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by scotty2
On a CKD, trans fats never get an opportunity to do aany damage. Whatever is not used for fuel is discarded in in KB's. I understand everyone's concern with trans fats, they should not comprise your entire daily fat intake, but they can be used somewhat liberally on CKD.
Fat isn't only used for fuel, but also makes up the majority of our cell membranes which are in a constant process of renewel and replacement, that is the worry, not the amoyunt that might be stored as bodyfat.

bkman4
04-23-2003, 11:23 PM
That is what I was thinking IPR. Avoiding these fats has cut down on some of my fav. food choices. Crap, honey bunches of oats has par. hydro. oils in it. It's the price of good health. I have already changed my diet so much, removing these fats aren't easy...but neither was eating right in the first place. I loved HBoO.:(

RonJ73
04-24-2003, 12:01 AM
While on Keto, if you're in caloric deficit, trans fats really don't have the opportunity to do any damage. They're consumed as energy before they have a chance to be absorbed as fat into the body.

Although I can't say this with absolute certainty, a few of the keto experts have always recommended mayo as a viable option, so I can't imagine it would be all bad.

Chi? Are you following this?

bkman4
04-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by RonJ73
While on Keto, if you're in caloric deficit, trans fats really don't have the opportunity to do any damage. They're consumed as energy before they have a chance to be absorbed as fat into the body.

Although I can't say this with absolute certainty, a few of the keto experts have always recommended mayo as a viable option, so I can't imagine it would be all bad.

This is what I'm talking bout!! Way to use your head Ron...you might have a point. What I worry about is that your body doesnt' use all the fat for energy when you eat a meal. Some/alot of the fat is immediately used for the synthesis of the lipid bilayer in all your cells. As far as I understood this is especially true for EFA's and trans-fats.

scotty2
04-24-2003, 12:12 AM

thank you

IPR
04-24-2003, 12:15 AM

Ron....logical thinking, but the issue isn't the use of fat for fuel/energy, but that your body is in a continual state of repair/replacement of cells. Your dietary fat is used for this purpose and so even in a calorie deficit the food ingested will in part be used for cell construction and maintenance.

Trans fats are bad always.

But yes mayo is fine, but not the stuff with trans fats.

chimponarope
04-24-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by IPR
Ron....logical thinking, but the issue isn't the use of fat for fuel/energy, but that your body is in a continual state of repair/replacement of cells. Your dietary fat is used for this purpose and so even in a calorie deficit the food ingested will in part be used for cell construction and maintenance.

Trans fats are bad always.

But yes mayo is fine, but not the stuff with trans fats.

Bump this, go for mayo's without trans fats or as low as you can get them, cos lets face it in these times its virtually impossible to get completely unprocessed food in some form or another and has some risk. All we can really do is lower the chances of being affected.

bkman4
04-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by IPR
[BTrans fats are bad always.

But yes mayo is fine, but not the stuff with trans fats. [/B]

Just wanted to bump this for everyones benefit. I'm guessing no on is in disagreeement.

Someone else was saying that it is hard to avoid these fats. It's not easy...but by no means hard. Partially Hydrogenated Oils (Trans-fats) are a CHEAPER way for food companies to produce whatever they put them in. Their characteristics make the food more profitable. I would never support (by buying thier products) manufacturers that have so little regard for my health, that they use hidden chemicals to increase profit margins. The only thing I would be less likely to do is actually put these chemicals in my body.