PDA

View Full Version : Im new and i need help

sushi362
07-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Hey everyone,

I was into bodybuilding for a while but then noticed the bulking and cutting stuff. I dont like fact that i have to stuff my face for a while, then lose all the fat. That seems to repetitive an based on chance. SO, i decided to powerlift. My lifts are as follows:

Bench: 100
Squat: 105
Deadlift: 65

What should i do to improve these lifts? Hopefully, the answer isn't to stuff your face and lift like a maniac.

7399martyn
07-15-2009, 06:40 AM
you dont need to stuff your face and get fat to gain weight. eating a little above maintainence is clean bulking and is a way to minimise fat gains on a bulk.

also, you should do rippetoes if you want to increase your lifts.

skinnycalves
07-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Your deadlift is not 65, you are probably doing some weird ****ed up romanian deadlift/straight legged deadlift and the low weight is just an issue of poor flexibility.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm

piszczel
07-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Are these in kilograms or in pounds?

Besides, you don't just decide to "powerlift". Powerlifting is actually competing in the sport, and training for it.
So far you've decided you fail at bodybuilding so you want to gain some strength.

You'll be back in the vain camp in no time.

TrettinR
07-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Are these in kilograms or in pounds?

Besides, you don't just decide to "powerlift". Powerlifting is actually competing in the sport, and training for it.
So far you've decided you fail at bodybuilding so you want to gain some strength.

You'll be back in the vain camp in no time.

Well that's not being very supportive. The kid wants to give it a shot, let him try before deciding to cut him down.

OP Read through the stickies and find a good beginners program (5x5, 5/3/1, etc) Find one and stick to it religiously. Don't modify their routines because they are proven for a reason, because the people who wrote them know more than you.

Next you DO need to eat a lot. You don't necessarily have to stuff your face, but you do need to eat quite a bit. Eat clean foods, Meat (chicken, fish, beef) Carbs (potatoes, whole breads, pastas, etc) and do NOT forget about your veggies! Stay away from junk food as much as possible (although an occasional candy bar here and there can't hurt) ;) Eating for strength doesn't have to be very complicated. Get your Proteins Carbs and Fats. And get plenty of them.

Third and just as important as the last two is improve your technique in the big three. You can lift more weight with better technique without necessarily getting any stronger. The goal in powerlifting is to move the most weight (duh) so this will be very advantageous.

Lastly, just know that strength gains won't happen overnight, try not to get frustrated if you aren't benching 400lbs in a month. And look into entering an actual powerlifting competition in the near future, once you go to your first meet you'll be hooked.

Best of luck

lifterg
07-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Bench: 100
Squat: 105
Deadlift: 65

Good luck and I hope you continue training.

If the maxes are correct you don't need to worry about a bodybuilding or powerlifting program. You aren't ready for them.
Just workout and start laying a foundation. Join a gym and lift something or do circuit training. You can specialize later.
For reference, a 100# bench max would be the rough equivalent of a push up for you. You could probably get by doing pushups, pullups, abs and running for a while if you don't want to fork out the $$ for a gym membership.

sushi362
07-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Good luck and I hope you continue training.

If the maxes are correct you don't need to worry about a bodybuilding or powerlifting program. You aren't ready for them.
Just workout and start laying a foundation. Join a gym and lift something or do circuit training. You can specialize later.
For reference, a 100# bench max would be the rough equivalent of a push up for you. You could probably get by doing pushups, pullups, abs and running for a while if you don't want to fork out the $$ for a gym membership.

Im a lifeguard at a YMCA so i get free membership

sushi362
07-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Well that's not being very supportive. The kid wants to give it a shot, let him try before deciding to cut him down.

OP Read through the stickies and find a good beginners program (5x5, 5/3/1, etc) Find one and stick to it religiously. Don't modify their routines because they are proven for a reason, because the people who wrote them know more than you.

Next you DO need to eat a lot. You don't necessarily have to stuff your face, but you do need to eat quite a bit. Eat clean foods, Meat (chicken, fish, beef) Carbs (potatoes, whole breads, pastas, etc) and do NOT forget about your veggies! Stay away from junk food as much as possible (although an occasional candy bar here and there can't hurt) ;) Eating for strength doesn't have to be very complicated. Get your Proteins Carbs and Fats. And get plenty of them.

Third and just as important as the last two is improve your technique in the big three. You can lift more weight with better technique without necessarily getting any stronger. The goal in powerlifting is to move the most weight (duh) so this will be very advantageous.

Lastly, just know that strength gains won't happen overnight, try not to get frustrated if you aren't benching 400lbs in a month. And look into entering an actual powerlifting competition in the near future, once you go to your first meet you'll be hooked.

Best of luck

Thanks for the advice. Repped. Im going to do rippetoes.

TrettinR
07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the advice. Repped. Im going to do rippetoes.

Good choice and good luck

TrettinR
07-15-2009, 07:04 PM
holy **** is that deadlift kilos or lbs??

well whoever said eat clean is wrong, you can't eat clean and put on weight especially someone with your metabolism. you need to make frequent trips to fast food places, and get a good weight gainer. product. Limit cardiovascular workouts too.

I've eaten relatively clean over the last 4 years and gained 50lbs.... but you would know better than me

TrettinR
07-15-2009, 07:13 PM
well I'm assuming this guy wants quick results and he should,6'1 150 is pathetic, if I had a son like that I'd beat food into him until he got to atleast 180 lbs.

He probably gets beat up and picked on, this must stop now. No reason why you can't be 180 by December

With his frame there's no need to force feed him fast food. He can get there in 6-8 months eating clean, if he is willing to do so

sushi362
07-16-2009, 08:35 AM
I'm afraid you have to do what you don't want to do son,

lift like a maniac and stuff your face.

You are 17 years old , gonna be a senoi in high school.

with the numbers you are putting up you could probably squat bench and deadlift everyday and not overtrain.

Actually, i just graduated high school. I started school early. I now bench 110 for 2 reps after a lot of previous chest exercises. Next time, im going to try and get 115.

sushi362
07-16-2009, 08:36 AM
well I'm assuming this guy wants quick results and he should,6'1 150 is pathetic, if I had a son like that I'd beat food into him until he got to atleast 180 lbs.

He probably gets beat up and picked on, this must stop now. No reason why you can't be 180 by December

I dont really get beat up or picked on.

This is what i look like: http://s855.photobucket.com/albums/ab119/sushi362/?action=view&current=DSC01082.jpg

grace_ou
07-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Actually, i just graduated high school. I started school early. I now bench 110 for 2 reps after a lot of previous chest exercises. Next time, im going to try and get 115.

I dont really get beat up or picked on.

This is what i look like: http://s855.photobucket.com/albums/ab119/sushi362/?action=view&current=DSC01082.jpg

He was just trolling don't pay any attention to his posts.