PDA

View Full Version : The grip of a woman!

RedMaster
07-10-2009, 11:40 AM
I am currently working a 5x5 schedule for squats Mon-Wed-Fri and using Coan's BP plan, it is actually working exceptionally well, while doing deadlifts on Wed for 4 sets. My problem is that my back and legs are plenty good to lift at least 100lbs more than I am deadlifting now but my grip is weak as can be. I am considering working some thickbar work into my workouts but I don't know when to work it in and leave enough recovery time, I also do rows on Mon-Fri. Should I try straps only for my heavy sets? To give you an idea of how weak my grip is I have to go to an alternating grip when I have 315 or more on the bar and I can rep 315 all day, once I go above 405 the weight flies up but I can't hold the bar for more than 3 reps with a reverse grip. Any help is greatly appreciated.

cjdelaney
07-10-2009, 11:48 AM
are you setting the weight down and resetting your grip on every rep?

RedMaster
07-10-2009, 11:50 AM
are you setting the weight down and resetting your grip on every rep?

Unfortunately, yes.

grace_ou
07-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I would never sacrifice strength building over grip.. use the straps only when needed and build your grip..

Grip training,,
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2778361

cjdelaney
07-10-2009, 11:56 AM
that sucks.

are you using chalk? does your bar have good knurling?

static holds and thickbar stuff is good. Just be sure you don't annihilate your grip to the point that it isn't recovered in time for your next DL session.

alot of people here will probably disagree but I would go ahead and use straps if you need to, just for the short term, while you work your grip directly.

Mitsuomi
07-10-2009, 11:56 AM
use chalk?

RedMaster
07-10-2009, 12:02 PM
that sucks.

are you using chalk? does your bar have good knurling?

static holds and thickbar stuff is good. Just be sure you don't annihilate your grip to the point that it isn't recovered in time for your next DL session.

alot of people here will probably disagree but I would go ahead and use straps if you need to, just for the short term, while you work your grip directly.

At the gym I go to chalk is not allowed and the knurling is not great on the bars they have. I know I will get comments telling me to workout elsewhere from some folks on here but the gym is in my building and I have a wife and two kids that take up all of my free time. I almost never miss workouts because the gym is in my ofice building and I do them at lunchtime. I think that the "no excuse" factor of the gym being there makes up for the shortcomings of chalk and knurling. On what day do you think I should incorporate grip work that will leave me sufficient rest? Thanks.

cjdelaney
07-10-2009, 12:04 PM
At the gym I go to chalk is not allowed and the knurling is not great on the bars they have. I know I will get comments telling me to workout elsewhere from some folks on here but the gym is in my building and I have a wife and two kids that take up all of my free time. I almost never miss workouts because the gym is in my ofice building and I do them at lunchtime. I think that the "no excuse" factor of the gym being there makes up for the shortcomings of chalk and knurling. On what day do you think I should incorporate grip work that will leave me sufficient rest? Thanks.

I would train grip after deadlifting.

look into liquid chalk, no mess. people won't know what it is so nobody should hassle you about it.

skinnycalves
07-10-2009, 12:07 PM
You should sneak in chalk, keep it in a small bag, or use the stuff "liquid chalk", which is sold on EFS. If those two options are too much of a hassle, bring rubbing alcohol to the gym, it will suffice in drying up your hands. Also buy some APT record breaker straps.

grace_ou
07-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I would train grip after deadlifting.

look into liquid chalk, no mess. people won't know what it is so nobody should hassle you about it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/xf/chalk.html

LOL I was suggest the samething.. you can it off bb it's cheap.. it's not as good as chalk but decent.

fyre500
07-10-2009, 12:08 PM
You could look into rosin bags instead of chalk. Any sporting goods store should carry them since they're used for baseball and bowling. I bought two and put them into a ziploc bag. It works great and there's practically no mess. If you really coated your hands or the bar it could probably be messy but with typical use, there shouldn't be any issues.

skinnycalves
07-10-2009, 12:10 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/xf/chalk.html

LOL I was suggest the samething.. you can it off bb it's cheap.. it's not as good as chalk but decent.

Just looked into it, Liquid Chalk is essentially rubbing alcohol.

grace_ou
07-10-2009, 12:12 PM

LOL prob explain why it kills germs!

Entkommen115
07-10-2009, 12:12 PM
My grip is nothing special either.

Heavy rack pulls with holds and towel pull ups seemed to help me.

fyre500
07-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Interesting. You could probably just buy a cheap bottle of hand sanitizer.

skinnycalves
07-10-2009, 12:16 PM
LOL prob explain why it kills germs!

It has a few other things in it, but im guessing it is just to throw people off. If people looked on the back and saw just "Isopropyl alcohol" it would surely raise an eye brow. But the spray bottle is pretty sweet.

Fyre5000 has a point, hand sanitizer would probably work as well. Plus it would be a lot easier to apply to your hands.

RedMaster
07-10-2009, 12:19 PM
By the way I did not to offend any lady members, Grace. I should have titled this thread The grip of a WEAK woman!

UHCougar05
07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
I saw the title and they grace's avi and then rued the fact that I'm at work right now... :(

grace_ou
07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
By the way I did not to offend any lady members, Grace. I should have titled this thread The grip of a WEAK woman!

LOL It would take way more then that to offend me!! :D

grace_ou
07-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I saw the title and they grace's avi and then rued the fact that I'm at work right now... :(

I'm tired being mistaken for a manlet!! :mad: With the back avi I get on by gay men alot.. :o

Mitsuomi
07-10-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm tired being mistaken for a manlet!! :mad: With the back avi I get on by gay men alot.. :o

hi a/s/l cyberz?

gbg
07-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Your title insinuates that a woman's grip is not good.

You couldn't be more wrong.

skinnycalves
07-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Your title insinuates that a woman's grip is not good.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Prove it

gbg
07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Prove it

Your more than welcome to workout with me anytime :)

UHCougar05
07-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm tired being mistaken for a manlet!! :mad: With the back avi I get on by gay men alot.. :oYou have the power to turn gay men straight, go with it! :D

grace_ou
07-10-2009, 01:45 PM
You have the power to turn gay men straight, go with it! :D

Thanks!! :D But I think that last guy was actually disappointed to learn I was ill equipped for what he wanted! :eek: :eek:

UHCougar05
07-10-2009, 01:50 PM
thanks!! :d but i think that last guy was actually disappointed to learn i was ill equipped for what he wanted! :eek: :eek:lmfao!

Blindead
07-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Are you a woman or saying that you have the grip of a woman? Cuz I'm quite partial to a woman gripping me just sayin.

UHCougar05
07-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Are you a woman or saying that you have the grip of a woman? Cuz I'm quite partial to a woman gripping me just sayin.
Word. :cool: :cool:

mtorres1445
07-10-2009, 03:58 PM
sports tape might help, wrap the bar where you grip it, and just remove it when your done doing deads..but to get stronger grip, you have to grip things....i like the towel pullups idea as well..

gbg
07-10-2009, 04:01 PM
I am currently working a 5x5 schedule for squats Mon-Wed-Fri and using Coan's BP plan, it is actually working exceptionally well, while doing deadlifts on Wed for 4 sets. My problem is that my back and legs are plenty good to lift at least 100lbs more than I am deadlifting now but my grip is weak as can be. I am considering working some thickbar work into my workouts but I don't know when to work it in and leave enough recovery time, I also do rows on Mon-Fri. Should I try straps only for my heavy sets? To give you an idea of how weak my grip is I have to go to an alternating grip when I have 315 or more on the bar and I can rep 315 all day, once I go above 405 the weight flies up but I can't hold the bar for more than 3 reps with a reverse grip. Any help is greatly appreciated.

False grip reverse curls.

75kg
07-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Believe me, women can have some extraordinarily strong grips. You just don't see them in grip too often. Elizabeth Horne has done feats I cannot currently come close to(nor can many guys) and can do them regularly.

On this topic, if you do nothing else, train the deadlift with a DO grip first, then switch to mixed, then use straps if you have to for your heaviest sets. There's no shame in using straps if you have too. I've suggested a ton of things before including weight hangs from a pullup bar, heavy BB rows, non-hook cleans, thickbar work, etc. All of them are good and any one of them added to a routine could be the missing ingredient that makes holding onto your deadlifts no problem. As far as where to add it, I would do any/all I mentioned above except the thickbar work on your deadlift day, before or after does not matter as much as you simply doing the exercise.

The thickbar tends to take a bit more out of the grip as it is a grip specific exercise, so you can do 1 of 2 things: Either train all of your deadlifts with a 2" axle(even a 1.5" axle would work, but not much larger than 2"), that means doing the regular workout you had planned, same weights and all, just with a thickbar...
OR
You could train thickbar specifically the day after deadlift day, provided your grip isn't blown after every deadlift day.

The pro's of the first choice would be that you would be both working on your grip and pulling regular weights, gains would come reletively quickly the first few weeks. You could do holds, strap up and do shrugs, reps, etc. All the things you'd do with a normal bar, but with the added grip element so that when you went to a normal bar, your fingers and thumb would be more than strong enough to hold your 100% max.

The con's of the first, if you're a powerlifter specifically and plan on competing in meets, a 2" bar can screw up your groove BIG TIME. If you're just training to train, train for strongman, train because it's just a ridiculously fun thing to do, then no worries.