PDA

View Full Version : Suitcase Deadlifts

BJC22
06-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Don't let the simplicity of this exercise fool you. I did them with a dumbbell for the first time yesterday - 5 sets if I recall correctly - and they kicked my ass.

Good stuff!

...just wanted to share!

BergMuscle
06-24-2009, 08:48 AM
description, please. And pics if you have them.

BJC22
06-24-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm not good at typing out how to do an exercise, so:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2274949_do-suitcase-dead-lift-exercises.html

and this PDF has explanations and pictures.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/55_07_dumbbell_ddlft.pdf

Upon cross-examination and a mention of the TWO dumbbell classic deadlift from my friend, kcmoto, I'm thinking I need to head in this direction instead. Why? Well, I said I did 5 sets - but it really amounted to 10 sets because I held the dbell on each side for 5 sets a piece.

BergMuscle
06-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks. Good links.
Basically it's a DB squat done one-handed. Something worth trying.

namtrag
06-24-2009, 09:06 AM
I do those with a db on each side, and I call them db squats, but they are a lot like deadlifts. I think technically to be a db squat, you have to hold the dbs up on your shoulders.

psychowolverine
06-24-2009, 09:08 AM
*waits for BH to call these Fckn retarded*

T.C.
06-24-2009, 09:08 AM
I have done these with dumbells in both hands, while also doing heavy shrugs...
The one handed ones appear to be dangerous and look like they can injure someone in a hurry when done with a significant amount of weight, sorry I wont try them!

namtrag
06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
*waits for BH to call these Fckn retarded*

It's coming, I am sure.

BJC22
06-24-2009, 09:21 AM
The one handed ones appear to be dangerous and look like they can injure someone in a hurry when done with a significant amount of weight, sorry I wont try them!

I hear what you're saying there. I didn't use a lot of weight for this first time and yes, things were a bit awkward. But technically that's a good thing because it causes you to have to balance, etc. I'm thinking these are a good option to mix it up with - but not something I'm going to go nuts with on making any huge gains, weight-wise.