PDA

View Full Version : Never Carbing up?

CrAvEnCLiCK666
04-14-2003, 12:30 PM
What is the minimum i could carb up or could i never even carb up?

bkman4
04-14-2003, 03:03 PM
I was just having trouble loosing more bf% with my CKD. I found that from going to 1 large carb up per week, to two smaller ones seems to be helping me get over the hump. But to answer your question, I wouldn't go much more than 2 weeks.

TheGMF
04-14-2003, 04:36 PM
I agree with bkman4 on this.
If you never carb up, I think you will do more harm than good to your body.

akondog
04-14-2003, 09:25 PM
never carb-up?!

You will be in a constant glycogen-depleted state! (not good bro!)

The whole point of the carb-up period (in CKD) is to replenish your muscles energy, then rifle it off during the following week with "unprecedented" lifts.

Keep in mind that the Atkins diet (made for people who live more dormant lifestyles) does not include carb-ups and consequently, is not recommended for over 2-3 weeks. It is basically made for the couch potato to loose a quick 10 pounds...since they could *never* think of getting off their ass and running or pushing tin.

Keto is a lifestyle baby, not just a quick fix.

\ ||| /

Original Poster
04-15-2003, 05:11 AM
Another benefit of carb-ups are they help to replenish leptin levels.

RonJ73
04-15-2003, 05:18 AM
The Atkins diet is keto without carb ups. Basically you will lose WEIGHT, but it will be both fat and muscle. No carb ups are for people who are sedentary and generally not a good idea for anyone who is active.

Westies
04-15-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by CrAvEnCLiCK666
What is the minimum i could carb up or could i never even carb up?

Will you give me an example of your smaller carb up days...

bkman4
04-15-2003, 07:56 PM
If I am doing a full 24 hr. weekend carb up, I now like to eat oatmeal or pasta w/protein on wed. night (Chi, do you eat protein with this meal why/whynot?). If I ever decide to do a short full-day carb up, I'll have a keto breakfast, and switch over to good carbs for the rest of the day.

NitricEster
04-16-2003, 12:04 AM
I just bought my first bench and crappy weights...had dumbells before but this is my first bench...guess it's good for the triceps? Anyway I know about doing carb ups just before a work out...should you do this with a weekly carb up or should you drop the weekly carb up if you carb up right before work outs? Or is it one of those good carbs for right before workout and really crappy carbs for once a week work out? Should you just play with the amount of carbs based on if you go in or out of keto afterwards?

Original Poster
04-16-2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by bkman4
If I am doing a full 24 hr. weekend carb up, I now like to eat oatmeal or pasta w/protein on wed. night (Chi, do you eat protein with this meal why/whynot?). If I ever decide to do a short full-day carb up, I'll have a keto breakfast, and switch over to good carbs for the rest of the day.

I try and keep it all carbs. If you go with pasta, that's not hard :).
Going all carbs gives an amazing pump for the next training session (at least for me :D). The body is carb starved and soaks up every last drop of the carbs you give it either that first carb meal of a carb-up or durring a midweek carb meal as we are discussing.

PEACE

Original Poster
04-16-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by NitricEster
I just bought my first bench and crappy weights...had dumbells before but this is my first bench...guess it's good for the triceps? Anyway I know about doing carb ups just before a work out...should you do this with a weekly carb up or should you drop the weekly carb up if you carb up right before work outs? Or is it one of those good carbs for right before workout and really crappy carbs for once a week work out? Should you just play with the amount of carbs based on if you go in or out of keto afterwards?

What your describing is actually a TKD where you take in carbs pre WO and then again PW, without weedend carb-ups.
I'd give a CKD a try first and then once you get the keto down, play around with a TKD.

PEACE

bkman4
04-16-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Chi_town
I try and keep it all carbs. If you go with pasta, that's not hard :).
Going all carbs gives an amazing pump for the next training session (at least for me :D). The body is carb starved and soaks up every last drop of the carbs you give it either that first carb meal of a carb-up or durring a midweek carb meal as we are discussing.

PEACE

Have you tried eating a little pro. with this meal? If so, did it effect your pump? I usually eat shrimp or chicken with pasta. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to take advantage of the insulin that would be present with this meal. Comments anyone??

derekmac
04-16-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by TheGMF
I agree with bkman4 on this.
If you never carb up, I think you will do more harm than good to your body.

You will also notice that you are hitting more plateaus without an occasional carb up.

IMO, when you carb up you can't eat the sugar filled stuff, it needs to be grains and other complex carbs so that your leptin levels are in good shape.

CrAvEnCLiCK666
04-16-2003, 03:17 PM
i now carb up every 2 weeks and the fat loss is much more rapid. My bf was low to begin with so idk if this affected it but im sticking with every other week carb up.

Vel
04-17-2003, 02:47 PM
i now carb up every 2 weeks and the fat loss is much more rapid. My bf was low to begin with so idk if this affected it but im sticking with every other week carb up.

ARE YOU SURE you're losing fat, and not just water, which will make you look leaner, and not muscle? basically what I'm asking is if you're getting your bodyfat taken or are you just going by the scale?

CrAvEnCLiCK666
04-19-2003, 12:51 PM
i eat like a beast and maintaining strength and going to say its fat. i do cardio 5 days a week after every workout except legs. get at me

rez
04-19-2003, 03:29 PM

how long into ckd did you start to carbup every 2 weeks?

CrAvEnCLiCK666
04-20-2003, 02:45 PM
4 weeks

bkman4
04-20-2003, 03:58 PM
I had good results with carbs every 2 weeks for awhile too. After two cycles / month, I almost crashed...now having good results with 2 carb ups per week.

rez
04-20-2003, 04:28 PM
4 weeks

Dont you find you go crazy on your carb-up days if you wait so long? or are you still as disciplined?

derekmac
04-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Chi_town
Another benefit of carb-ups are they help to replenish leptin levels.

Bump! :D

KrushR
04-20-2003, 09:39 PM
i do cardio 5 days a week after every workout except legs.

I'm pretty new to Keto, but couldn't this much cardio be counterproductive? I'm down to 3 days a week and loving it much more with bigger gains.

CrAvEnCLiCK666
04-20-2003, 09:56 PM
my diet is on point. Also im extremley disclpined when on the diet. would u rather look good or eat ****y foods i mean i am tempted to go crazy but im more tempted to **** hot chixs. Also i use HIIT principles when i do cardio. Carbing up every 2 weeks is definatley the better way to go your body is in keto longer and you get in it faster so eventually you decide to carb up once a week if you decide to.

Corsair
04-21-2003, 07:02 AM
since I am pushing 40 I have also decided to carb up every 2 weeks. I just finished my first 2 week cycle (no carb up yet) but my keto stiks never go beyond small or trace amounts. I am very strict on the carbs. 30 a day. most of those from dark green leafy veggies. I do feel leaner. no wieght loss besides the usual in the first week. (183lbs - 11/12%BF - 2206K per day - 222 protein - 133 fat - 30 carb) cardio 6x per week (1hour eliptical average 900k burned morning - wieght training 4x week afternoon).

CrAvEnCLiCK666
04-21-2003, 07:38 AM
Try to eat zero carbs because you pick up at least 30 from trying to eat 0. I guarantee you that results will improve with no muscle loss. Dont starve yourself and try eating sliced deli cheese as a snack. in between meals i usally have 3 slices of muenster because it has 0 CARBS. You will lose fat.

NEXTLEVEL
04-21-2003, 09:46 AM
The first time I did a carbup, It took me about 5 days to get back into keto. I dont know if I want to take that risk again. I still take my PW shakes, but thats it for right now. I think im going to wait until Im on keto for a solid 4 weeks then start doing one carbup day a week.

bkman4
04-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Our physiology doesn't work like that. Your liver will empty in 2 days or so. Everyone has trouble keeping ketosis for the first few weeks. Follow the carb restriction and it will work. Just because you don't have the signs does NOT mean that you are not in ketosis...Carb ups are very important.

CrAvEnCLiCK666
04-21-2003, 02:20 PM
4 weeks is a long ass time. Ketostix dont mean **** cause ur drinking so much water the test susalyy dont show up. i go two weeks but i would never go further.

rez
04-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by NEXTLEVEL
The first time I did a carbup, It took me about 5 days to get back into keto. I dont know if I want to take that risk again. I still take my PW shakes, but thats it for right now. I think im going to wait until Im on keto for a solid 4 weeks then start doing one carbup day a week.

if you cut out your PW shakes - im sure u would be in ketosis.
are you training more than 3 x p/w?

NEXTLEVEL
04-21-2003, 06:15 PM
At the time I wasnt doing my PW shakes. I normally go to the gym 4 times a week. I will try a carbup this week on sat, and see how it turns out. If I'm not in keto again after a coulpe of days I might just do TKD. My main goal as of right now is lose weight, even at the expense of some muscle.

Originally posted by rez
if you cut out your PW shakes - im sure u would be in ketosis.
are you training more than 3 x p/w?

rez
04-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by NEXTLEVEL
At the time I wasnt doing my PW shakes. I normally go to the gym 4 times a week. I will try a carbup this week on sat, and see how it turns out. If I'm not in keto again after a coulpe of days I might just do TKD. My main goal as of right now is lose weight, even at the expense of some muscle.

i would drop the PW shakes regardless. ive been on a ckd sinse january and i cant tell u how may people have commented on my weightloss - change of body shape. it definetly works doing it that way

NEXTLEVEL
04-21-2003, 09:23 PM
So all you do is carbups once a week? Do you do cardio?

Originally posted by rez
i would drop the PW shakes regardless. ive been on a ckd sinse january and i cant tell u how may people have commented on my weightloss - change of body shape. it definetly works doing it that way

rez
04-22-2003, 01:53 AM
yes
20mins after legs - level 1 bike/cross trainer - easy.
10mins tues after upper body

wed; 40mins walking - med intensity

sat 20mins post workout

i also go to pilates 2xp/w... but may have to cut down due to time restrictions

bkman4
04-22-2003, 07:06 AM
Start your PW shakes with just 30g whey...and one week add 10g of dextrose...add 10 more g a week until you hit the # that is good for you...I have been able to build a tolerance to about 40g of dextrose while in keto. As long as you eat a fat and protein meal in an hour or so you won't have to worry too much about the shake, the fat in the meal can prod your body to produce less ketones (and therefore a negative reading). It can take a few weeks for your body to tolerate the shakes.

CrAvEnCLiCK666
04-22-2003, 10:59 AM
P/W shakes are neccesary for muscle growth and maintenance. One or 2 servings after a workout is not dangerous just realize that if you are shooting to eat 30 grams of carbs a day you are eating much more. Try to eat zero also scrap the added sugars postworkout they arent neccasary. For your first 2 weeks of keto try to eat zero carbs and you will see rapid fat loss. I have lost zero muscle at all and im rapidly losing weight.