PDA

View Full Version : Roast beef vs Chicken

nunu713
06-10-2009, 05:28 AM
This weekend, I'll be at a birthday party for my niece who's turning 1 (how time flies!). I asked my sister what is on the menu and she said that it will mostly be catered. She's getting sliced roast beef for sandwiches, some kind of chicken dish - either franchaise or marsala, some roasted veggies, etc.

Now, when I'm at a gathering where there's a lot of food around and my willpower will be low, I usually prefer to 'overdose' on protein and the veggie tray if it's going to happen. But my question is, which is better to 'overdose' on, should I lose my willpower: roast beef or chicken in some kind of restaurant-made sauce? Chicken is the leaner protein, but with all the mystery sauce, I'm thinking roast beef might be better.

Any thoughts?

CharliC
06-10-2009, 05:51 AM
If it's a case of looking for volume over taste, I agree that plain roast beef is the safer bet. Or you could take some damage control measures like eating a small meal at home beforehand, drinking lots of water etc. and be able to have a little of what you fancy without being overly tempted to go all out. Are you inclined to make this a 'cheat' or would you prefer to stick to your plan?

nunu713
06-10-2009, 06:39 AM
I'd prefer to stick to my plan. I like both roast beef and chicken, so it's not a matter of depriving myself. I just couldn't decide which one would be healthier.

I definitely plan to bring a small meal in the car. And, weather permitting, hopefully I can spend most of the day in the backyard with the kids - away from the food!

PremierGirl
06-10-2009, 06:53 AM
how about the chicken, and get a napkin and squeeze all the sauce off .

Amanda76
06-10-2009, 07:10 AM
I'd do the roast beef. It's too difficult to know exactly what's going to be going on with that chicken sauce. Plus, I hardly ever get roast beef. Would be a nice change from the usual egg white, chicken, tuna, tilapia, salmon, ground beef, cottage cheese containing days. LOL

freebirdmac
06-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Roast beef! Beef has a lot of good muscle building qualities. Enjoy it!

iKoniConSciencE
06-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Roast beef, definitely. You have no idea what is in that creepy restaurant-made sauce :eek: Some of those sauces literally have 100-200 calories and 10-20g fat per tablespoon, and the chicken breasts will most likely be doused in it.

nunu713
06-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Excellent! Thanks everyone - roast beef it is!

Yeah, I've always been leery of restaurant sauces, and the roast beef will be part of a deli meat tray - so no sauces, spices, dressings or anything.