PDA

View Full Version : What's your passion??

pmartel
06-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I know most of us love what we do at the gym, but what do you do away from the gym??

On my time off, I've really gotten back into photography. Yes, Is still use film and have 2 Nikon E series bodies with a Tameron 25-45mm w/a zoom one for colour and one for b&w.

I'm to the stage again where I want to develop and print my own b&w again and my partner is generously giving me his darkroom gear.

This is a passion for me and always perfecting composition technique.

One thing computers have done is to allow me to print colour photos at home and get stunning results.

That's my passion, what's yours??

Deborah_Lyn
06-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Gardening.

I spent last week weeding and getting my rose garden ready for the season. I lost 3 hybrid teas over the winter, so I'm gonna get some David Austin Bushes ( 5 -6 feet) that are on their own root rose, not grafted like a tea rose. Less chance they'll die because it's 1 plant vs 2 or 3 grafted like a hybrid tea rose. It's great digging in the dirt and hearing the birds whiel enjoying the sun ( and heat, lol).

Shrub bushes looks great, low maintenance, but less petal count and blooms last 2-3 days verses 7-10.

4evernatural
06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
laying on the couch, with remote in hand!!!

aneas
06-03-2009, 11:09 AM
The gym thats it.

Klayfish
06-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I just started my own thread about my passion. Cars. Been into them since I was a toddler. I need a cheaper hobby.....

Capt_Lou
06-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Women that are really bad for me :D

SP1966
06-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Don't we know that!! LOL

JoelM05
06-03-2009, 12:18 PM

Must be an Ohio thing. :D

sthpadregrl
06-03-2009, 12:19 PM
my kids, they are my passion and seem to take up all of my time anyway....

they will be my legacy

aneas
06-03-2009, 12:21 PM

Same problem. Its really bad when your married. :eek:

Capt_Lou
06-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Don't we know that!! LOL

Yea I did bring the physco in here did'nt I lol

Must be an Ohio thing. :D

I swear the state is full of them!

Capt_Lou
06-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Same problem. Its really bad when your married. :eek:

At least I can just leave hehe :D

fitnessman
06-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Yea I did bring the physco in here did'nt I lol

I swear the state is full of them!

That's why I got one from MO.

Womez is craaaazy in O HI O!

partsRheavy
06-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I love photography, too. However, I went digital several years ago. The price point and convenience of digital convinced me to change over.

I've still got a Pentax K-1000 and a Spotmatic gathering dust in my living room. (and meowing for a new home?)

I know most of us love what we do at the gym, but what do you do away from the gym??

On my time off, I've really gotten back into photography. Yes, Is still use film and have 2 Nikon E series bodies with a Tameron 25-45mm w/a zoom one for colour and one for b&w.

I'm to the stage again where I want to develop and print my own b&w again and my partner is generously giving me his darkroom gear.

This is a passion for me and always perfecting composition technique.

One thing computers have done is to allow me to print colour photos at home and get stunning results.

That's my passion, what's yours??

JoelM05
06-03-2009, 12:31 PM
At least I can just leave hehe :D

I like to have "magic sex".
We F%*k, then she disappears! TA DA! :D

Capt_Lou
06-03-2009, 12:33 PM
That's why I got one from MO.

Womez is craaaazy in O HI O!

I think I need a woman from Alaska lol

I like to have "magic sex".
We F%*k, then she disappears! TA DA! :D

LMFAO!

SP1966
06-03-2009, 12:39 PM
I think I need a woman from Alaska lol

Eskimo sex FTL! :eek:

fitnessman
06-03-2009, 12:40 PM

Seal of approval?

Grimbeard
06-03-2009, 12:41 PM
ATM scratching my balls.

SP1966
06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Seal of approval?
Doesn't FTL mean For the loss? :eek:

Capt_Lou
06-03-2009, 12:48 PM

I could eat her if I get cold ;)

Seal of approval?

Damn! Why can I not get on photobucket here at work to get a picture of Seal!!!

Whatanejit
06-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Talk about a thread going wrong!

What are you guys like??

One track minds!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f270/Whatanejit/Smilies/Horse%20smilies/horsegif.gif My passion!

JoelM05
06-03-2009, 01:01 PM

What are you guys like??

One track minds!

I bet you just imagine that the photograph below is of a woman and it is really of my horse!!

Tsk!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f270/Whatanejit/Smilies/stripper.gif
Giddyup!

Capt_Lou
06-03-2009, 01:06 PM

What are you guys like??

One track minds!

I bet you just imagine that the photograph below is of a woman and it is really of my horse!!

Tsk!

Talk about a tease ;)

SP1966
06-03-2009, 01:07 PM

What are you guys like??

One track minds!

Tsk!

That thar ain't no eskimo!

Whatanejit
06-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Gardening.

I spent last week weeding and getting my rose garden ready for the season. I lost 3 hybrid teas over the winter, so I'm gonna get some David Austin Bushes ( 5 -6 feet) that are on their own root rose, not grafted like a tea rose. Less chance they'll die because it's 1 plant vs 2 or 3 grafted like a hybrid tea rose. It's great digging in the dirt and hearing the birds whiel enjoying the sun ( and heat, lol).

Shrub bushes looks great, low maintenance, but less petal count and blooms last 2-3 days verses 7-10.

Another gardener here when I have time.. I used to spend hours there but now spend hours with the horses.

I'm catching up with it again this year though.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa100/GuinnessDecker/Garden/Garden2.png

Good luck with the new DA roses.. he is the best!

pmartel
06-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I love photography, too. However, I went digital several years ago. The price point and convenience of digital convinced me to change over.

I've still got a Pentax K-1000 and a Spotmatic gathering dust in my living room. (and meowing for a new home?)

Pentax K-1000 was a great camera, virtually indestructable. I started off with a Praktika L with an external light meter. If it's got a built in light meter good starter camera for someone.

Film processing is cheap, but better off doing it yourself as I plan on doing again

That's the only way to get started in photography is knowing the old stuff 1st.

I have my grandfather's 4x5 view camera which uses sheet film.

BuckSpin
06-03-2009, 02:30 PM
When I was coaching youth football (10-12 YO no weight limit), this is what we ran:

3FmoT1RKPhs

I've been a student of single wing football for a number of years, and every year I organize the largest gathering of single wing coaches in the world via the Single Wing Conclave, now in its 9th year.

Buck lateral, spinning fullback, etc. Its awesome.....

Beefcupcake
06-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I love photography too! I started out with film and used a dark room in a high school but I moved to digital a few years later due to getting more clients to photograph (labor time was too much!). Anyways, I would love to get back in the darkroom as a hobby....I miss the smell of the chemicals! I have a Nikon F100 but would love to learn to use a high end medium format camera (Hasselblad, Pentax, Rollei, etc.).

pmartel
06-03-2009, 03:35 PM
I love photography too! I started out with film and used a dark room in a high school but I moved to digital a few years later due to getting more clients to photograph (labor time was too much!). Anyways, I would love to get back in the darkroom as a hobby....I miss the smell of the chemicals! I have a Nikon F100 but would love to learn to use a high end medium format camera (Hasselblad, Pentax, Rollei, etc.).

Not that difficult, just translate what you know about 35mm to a larger format.

You'd need to use an external light meter. That's what I used with my old Prakitika L

Mechanics of operation are a bit different. I too would love a 'Blad' or a Bronica

Beefcupcake
06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I have the light meter so I just need to find my camera :) ... I might look for a used one or rent one first. Thanks! (I'm drooling now lol!)

pmartel
06-03-2009, 04:07 PM
I have the light meter so I just need to find my camera :) ... I might look for a used one or rent one first. Thanks! (I'm drooling now lol!)

Look for a Bronica, Blads are still expensive from what I've seen on ebay.

Up here I've seen a Bronica for $300, but I forget what that included. Filmbacks will be fun to look for as always good to have a couple and I think they had a Polaroid back, but good luck on finding film.

My partner is giving me his darkroom gear so will be doing my own B&W again. Can't wait.

Try renting a Bronica somewhere and get the feel for it. I know my Nikon's inside and out. The main body I've had 15 year as my 1st got stolen.

Dedicated Nikon owner here!!

Nikonguy
06-03-2009, 04:36 PM

Not that difficult, just translate what you know about 35mm to a larger format.

You'd need to use an external light meter. That's what I used with my old Prakitika L

Mechanics of operation are a bit different. I too would love a 'Blad' or a Bronica

I'm trying to re-start my passion for photography (is it a passion if you have to re-start it?) Once upon a time I turned a hobby into a profession and after 20 years I kind of got burned out.

I've got an arsenal of Mamiya cameras from when I owned a studio. They are pretty banged up but still work and this summer I'll start doing some medium format b/w landscapes of the rivers and beaches of Florida.

pmartel, if you like black and white photography Google Clyde Butcher. He is to the Florida Everglades what Ansel Adams was to the American West.

As you might have gathered I'm a Nikon guy and my newest toy is a D200. I photographed a wedding in the Florida Keys with it last year. and the quality of the digital photos is amazing.

I think it's time to get back to something that has given me a lot of pleasure.

pmartel
06-03-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm trying to re-start my passion for photography (is it a passion if you have to re-start it?) Once upon a time I turned a hobby into a profession and after 20 years I kind of got burned out.

I've got an arsenal of Mamiya cameras from when I owned a studio. They are pretty banged up but still work and this summer I'll start doing some medium format b/w landscapes of the rivers and beaches of Florida.

pmartel, if you like black and white photography Google Clyde Butcher. He is to the Florida Everglades what Ansel Adams was to the American West.

As you might have gathered I'm a Nikon guy and my newest toy is a D200. I photographed a wedding in the Florida Keys with it last year. and the quality of the digital photos is amazing.

I think it's time to get back to something that has given me a lot of pleasure.

Good on you, that's how I felt as my current job stresses the hell out of me.

I have really taken a liking to b&w again and living in the city gives a real chance to shoot some interesting stuff.

As I said to Beefcupcake, I'm going to be doing my own b&w developing and printing again. Did that 30 years ago in college and have really missed it.

Those Mamiya's should be brought out again, I remember them getting good press and reasonable for a 645. Don't get rid of those yet!!

Nikonguy
06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Good on you, that's how I felt as my current job stresses the hell out of me.

I have really taken a liking to b&w again and living in the city gives a real chance to shoot some interesting stuff.

As I said to Beefcupcake, I'm going to be doing my own b&w developing and printing again. Did that 30 years ago in college and have really missed it.

Those Mamiya's should be brought out again, I remember them getting good press and reasonable for a 645. Don't get rid of those yet!!

The 645s are here to stay, LOL. I also have a Mamiya RB67 that I need to put some film through and a kit for a wooden 4x5 view camera that I have never built. In 2002 I packed it in and left photography full time but always suspected it was not done with me yet. My current career as a high school history teacher has plenty of stress but the rewards are way beyond what I ever dreamed. To be honest teaching is my true passion. ;)

pmartel
06-03-2009, 05:13 PM
The 645s are here to stay, LOL. I also have a Mamiya RB67 that I need to put some film through and a kit for a wooden 4x5 view camera that I have never built. In 2002 I packed it in and left photography full time but always suspected it was not done with me yet. My current career as a high school history teacher has plenty of stress but the rewards are way beyond what I ever dreamed. To be honest teaching is my true passion. ;)

I have my grandfather's 4x5 view camera, a Pony Primo #4

I used it in college, but I was to concerned about the back being fragile.

I wonder what reaction my younger co-workers would get if I brought that in.

I should send you and Beefcupcake some photos of Toronto, I'm going really nuts on archiving local history.

I may send you my most recent b& w stuff I shot last month of housing project.

Deborah_Lyn
06-04-2009, 05:11 AM
Another gardener here when I have time.. I used to spend hours there but now spend hours with the horses.

I'm catching up with it again this year though.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa100/GuinnessDecker/Garden/Garden2.png

Good luck with the new DA roses.. he is the best!

oooh, what a pretty garden!!

Foxglove too in that shot! I need to get some but it maybe too late for this season. Foxglove looks great in gardens.

I decided to do a tulip garden again. I had over 200 bulbs at the last place and with moving, I refused to dig them all out. lol. So, this fall, I'm gonna do a new section just for bulbs so in spring, they'll bloom and look awesome.

My iris has really grown a lot, so I may get some more of that. Now, I have itchy garden hands and want to dig in the dirt, hehee

I love horses from afar now. A family friend had one and she barely rode him. He threw me off when I was 13 years old and knocked the breath out of me. It was so painful to take that first breath again and scarey. I don't blame the horse 1 bit (he ignored my 1 tap to do a trott, so when I tapped him again thinking he missed it, he went full gallop.) The owner never should have had a horse and not spent time with it everyday.

aneas
06-04-2009, 05:14 AM
When I was coaching youth football (10-12 YO no weight limit), this is what we ran:

I've been a student of single wing football for a number of years, and every year I organize the largest gathering of single wing coaches in the world via the Single Wing Conclave, now in its 9th year.

Buck lateral, spinning fullback, etc. Its awesome.....

Now that sounds awesome. I need some new hobbies. My current hobbies of bb and women seem to be getting me in a heap of trouble.

Whatanejit
06-04-2009, 08:32 AM
oooh, what a pretty garden!!

Foxglove too in that shot! I need to get some but it maybe too late for this season. Foxglove looks great in gardens.

I decided to do a tulip garden again. I had over 200 bulbs at the last place and with moving, I refused to dig them all out. lol. So, this fall, I'm gonna do a new section just for bulbs so in spring, they'll bloom and look awesome.

My iris has really grown a lot, so I may get some more of that. Now, I have itchy garden hands and want to dig in the dirt, hehee

I love horses from afar now. A family friend had one and she barely rode him. He threw me off when I was 13 years old and knocked the breath out of me. It was so painful to take that first breath again and scarey. I don't blame the horse 1 bit (he ignored my 1 tap to do a trott, so when I tapped him again thinking he missed it, he went full gallop.) The owner never should have had a horse and not spent time with it everyday.

Wow I bet those tulips looked amazing!

Any pics of your garden Deborah?

aneas
06-04-2009, 08:36 AM
I need one of you photo people to teach me how to take a decent photo. I have no idea what I am doing.

pmartel
06-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I need one of you photo people to teach me how to take a decent photo. I have no idea what I am doing.

PM me and show me some examples.

While I'm hardly Ansel Adams, friend's much older than I tell me I have a great eyse for composition.

I took photography 30 years ago in college and has really come to the forefront.

I can in turn send you some of my stuff of Toronto in colour & b&w

aneas
06-04-2009, 01:58 PM
PM me and show me some examples.

While I'm hardly Ansel Adams, friend's much older than I tell me I have a great eyse for composition.

I took photography 30 years ago in college and has really come to the forefront.

I can in turn send you some of my stuff of Toronto in colour & b&w

I will be taking you up on that offer.

pmartel
06-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I will be taking you up on that offer.

Just an e-mail away and hope I can help.

I'm so fanatic about this, I'm planning on doing my own printing again.

My partner has generously donated his darkroom gear to me!!