PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of entering pl competition

KeepOnLifting
04-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey guys, I was considering entering a pl competition this summer (16-17 yr old category, 181 lbs), but I was wondering what a good total would be.

At the moment I have around 1000 combined (320 bench, 370 dl, 310-320lb squat) Would this be competitive?

Thanks

samsuperjew
04-18-2009, 03:03 PM
any total is a good total... go compete, there probably wont even be anyone else in your division...lol

byronsru24
04-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey guys, I was considering entering a pl competition this summer (16-17 yr old category, 181 lbs), but I was wondering what a good total would be.

At the moment I have around 1000 combined (320 bench, 370 dl, 310-320lb squat) Would this be competitive?

Thanks

You need a total of 135lbs to compete in a meet. Lift the bar once in the squat, bench and deadlift.

As far as competitive....that depends on what federation you'd be competing in and where they are located. www.powerliftingwatch.com. Take a look on there for more info about meets, etc

deadbycheese
04-18-2009, 03:47 PM
I would say yes, go to the meet and hit some PRs. And get advice from the people there.

ShutUpAndSquat
04-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Think not, young Skywalker. Do.

deadbycheese
04-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Think not, young Skywalker. Do.

Do or do not. There is no try!

smitsky
04-18-2009, 04:24 PM

Thanks

I think you got some very good advice from Sam94Chem.

Wherever you are for your first meet is fine.

I lift mostly in the USAPL where the rules are the strictest. Unless you are taking your Squat enough below parallel, are taking start, pause, and rack commands in training in your Bench Press, I think you may not actually wind up with a 1000 lb Total in that Fed. You may be slightly to moderately below.

Learn the correct method of peaking for the meet (if you don't know it already), and go and do it for the learning experience. You'll do fine. You'll be inspired by the guys who are stronger than you there, and you'll probably learn a lot in the process.

Good luck!

KeepOnLifting
04-18-2009, 04:47 PM
I think you got some very good advice from Sam94Chem.

Wherever you are for your first meet is fine.

I lift mostly in the USAPL where the rules are the strictest. Unless you are taking your Squat enough below parallel, are taking start, pause, and rack commands in training in your Bench Press, I think you may not actually wind up with a 1000 lb Total in that Fed. You may be slightly to moderately below.

Learn the correct method of peaking for the meet (if you don't know it already), and go and do it for the learning experience. You'll do fine. You'll be inspired by the guys who are stronger than you there, and you'll probably learn a lot in the process.

Good luck!

I have gotten experience on bench press calls (high school meets---bench press and clean and jerk) but being judged on squats and dls will be new and interesting. I really appreciate the advice guys!

isaku900
04-18-2009, 06:49 PM
you squat and bench the same?

work on that too.

Poppy83
04-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Do or do not. There is no try!

I love this quote. It's posted in my classroom and I point to it every time I hear someone say something about trying.

OP: Who cares! I think you'll find powerlifters to be very supportive and you'll have an awesome time competing. You're still young. Keep working hard and getting stronger. Use comps. for testing yourself, motivating you to train harder, and get an idea of where you are and where you need to go to place even better for the next meet!

KeepOnLifting
04-19-2009, 07:52 AM
you squat and bench the same?

work on that too.

the problem was i used to only do front squats (for high school meets)
my front squat is at about my back squat.. hopefully when i do more back squats it will go up fast.

Big Sexy J
04-19-2009, 09:35 AM
I have gotten experience on bench press calls (high school meets---bench press and clean and jerk) but being judged on squats and dls will be new and interesting. I really appreciate the advice guys!

Where in Florida do you live?

Oh and do a PL meet, like everyone said, get the experience and hit some PRs.

samsuperjew
04-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Where in Florida do you live?

Oh and do a PL meet, like everyone said, get the experience and hit some PRs.

this

if you live in central FL

go to a meet on June 13th...