PDA

View Full Version : I'm think of investing in a thick bar.

IraHays
04-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Is there any formula (or something) to help you know what size you should get based on the size of your hands?

75kg
04-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Is there any formula (or something) to help you know what size you should get based on the size of your hands?

No, there is no formula. However, 1.9" and 2" bars are used most often in both strongman and grip.

The Inch DB is ~2.5" thick, so if that is your goal, get yourself a 2.5" thick bar or DBs.

Most people will have little use for 3" handles as it's such an uncommon handle width(though the Circus DB at the Arnold has a 3" handle) and those with smaller hands will basically be pinching at that width.

I have smallish hands so if it were my money, I'd get myself a 2" barbell.

BTW, never get knurled thick bars. It defeats the purpose.

IraHays
04-11-2009, 10:03 AM
No, there is no formula. However, 1.9" and 2" bars are used most often in both strongman and grip.

The Inch DB is ~2.5" thick, so if that is your goal, get yourself a 2.5" thick bar or DBs.

Most people will have little use for 3" handles as it's such an uncommon handle width(though the Circus DB at the Arnold has a 3" handle) and those with smaller hands will basically be pinching at that width.

I have smallish hands so if it were my money, I'd get myself a 2" barbell.

BTW, never get knurled thick bars. It defeats the purpose.

Thanks. Very helpful. (Especally the last part, hadn't really thought about that) reps.

holbee
04-11-2009, 02:41 PM
What he said x2

Also, depending on your cash flow you can get great bars from dealers or cheap bars from building supply stores. Mine came from the alley behind work. It was scrap from a welding project at the motor shop nextdoor. straight, ugly, thick and slick bar. I use clamps to hold the weight in place on either side.