PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand the knowledge of protein...

D3th 2 Aw3
03-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Everywhere I have read, you should get at least your body weight in grams of protein... Most people who don't workout, barely get any protein, because their not focusing on it. So why don't they whither away without the maintenance amount of protein? Right now I think I get below my weight in protein per day, and I am still building.

gekkoboy14
03-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Everywhere I have read, you should get at least your body weight in grams of protein... Most people who don't workout, barely get any protein, because their not focusing on it. So why don't they whither away without the maintenance amount of protein? Right now I think I get below my weight in protein per day, and I am still building.

because you dont need a g/LB of body weight in protein

osenior
03-31-2009, 10:05 AM
i agree with gekkoboy14. you dont have to have 1 gm of protein/body weight, that is way too much and bad for your kidneys.

D3th 2 Aw3
03-31-2009, 10:07 AM
i agree with gekkoboy14. you dont have to have 1 gm of protein/body weight, that is way too much and bad for your kidneys.

I figured that... I've been eating eggs, tuna, oatmeal, chicken, even seeds with protein non stop and I can't get that high. Possibly with my pwo shake and another whey shake lol. Thanks guys.

TreeTrunkLegs
03-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Its actually nutritionally sound to aim for 1 gram of protein per lb of lean muscle mass not total body weight. Most bodybuilders and powerlifters aim for 1.5-2.

Most people don't wither away or die because the normal person carries a good amount of fat on them. A 200 lb man, at 30% BF only has about 140 lbs of lean muscle on them if that, so that would equate to 140 grams of protein.

D3th 2 Aw3
03-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Its actually nutritionally sound to aim for 1 gram of protein per lb of lean muscle mass not total body weight. Most bodybuilders and powerlifters aim for 1.5-2.

Most people don't wither away or die because the normal person carries a good amount of fat on them. A 200 lb man, at 30% BF only has about 140 lbs of lean muscle on them if that, so that would equate to 140 grams of protein.

I actually never thought about it that way. Thanks for the perspective!

Holyspokes
03-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Most people who don't workout, barely get any protein, because their not focusing on it.

False. Most people get PLENTY of protein.

D3th 2 Aw3
03-31-2009, 10:15 AM
False. Most people get PLENTY of protein.

I was talking in the context of my family/me. Sorry for putting it into a stereotypical sentence.