PDA

View Full Version : Jesus christ, Alabama gunman kills 9 including family in rampage

Outside backer
03-11-2009, 08:43 AM
whiskey tango foxtrot!!!!!!! family members an 18month old baby good god

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29623587

NBC, msnbc.com and news services
updated 2 hours, 5 minutes ago

GENEVA, Ala. - Nine people were gunned down in a terrifying rampage across two Alabama counties by a lone shooter who authorities said burned down his mother's home with her inside, killed his own relatives on their porch and shot apparent strangers and police before killing himself.

Tuesday's shootings in a mostly rural area near the Florida border were believed to be the work of Michael McLendon, who lived with his mother and had once worked at a local metal plant.

The bloodshed began when McLendon burned down his mother's house in Kinston, according to Coffee County Coroner Robert Preachers. Authorities found Lisa McLendon's body inside, but they had not determined how she died or whether she was a 10th victim of her son's spree.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

McLendon then drove a dozen miles southeast to Samson, in Geneva County, where he took down nine victims, including four members of his family. The rampage ended another 12 miles farther east in Geneva at the metals plant where McLendon had once worked. After a shootout with police, McLendon killed himself.

'He cleaned his family out'
Investigators declined to comment on a motive for the shootings, in which at least four other people were injured, including a child. The victims' names have not been released.

"He cleaned his family out," Preachers said. "We don't know what triggered it."

After McLendon burned down his mother's home, he shot and killed five people on one porch and a 74-year-old woman next door in Samson, said Kirke Adams, district attorney for Geneva and Dale counties. Four of the six killed were members of McLendon's family.

Preachers had said McLendon's victims included his grandparents. But Adams said the 74-year-old victim might have been McLendon's great aunt.

The two unrelated victims were the wife and 18-month-old child of a Geneva County sheriff's deputy. They had stopped by the home to visit.

'Sprayed bullets'
McLendon then drove around Samson, shooting out his car window, killing three more people seemingly at random.

"He sprayed bullets through the town," Adams said.

One woman was struck down as she walked out of a gas station. Another man was driving. Another man was shot as he tried to run away.

"In a cowardly act, he shot him in the back," Adams said.

McLendon fired several shots at a Wal-Mart store in Geneva. No one was killed, but it was unclear if anyone was injured.

"There's a lot of people who had close calls," Adams said.

Samson contractor Greg McCullough said he was pumping fuel at the gas station when the gunman roared into the parking lot and slammed on his brakes.

"I first thought it was somebody playing," McCullough said. Then he saw the rifle.

McLendon opened fire, killing the woman who walked outside and wounding McCullough with bullet fragments that struck his truck and the pump. At one point the rifle appeared to jam, then McLendon fired more shots before driving off.

"I'm just in awe that something like this could take place. That someone could do such a thing. It's just shocking," McCullough said.

Police pursued McLendon to Geneva's Reliable Metal Products, where he got out of his car and fired at police with his automatic weapon, wounding Geneva Police Chief Frankie Lindsey. He then walked inside and killed himself.

"He had plenty of ammo in his car and other weapons and he appeared to be going to do some damage there," Adams said.

Video

?In shock?
March 11: TODAY?s Meredith Vieira talks to Clay King, mayor of Samson, Ala., and reporter Stephen Crews.

Today show

There had recently been layoffs at the plant, but it was not immediately known if McLendon was among those losing their jobs. A person who answered the phone at the plant said no one could talk about the shooting.

Samson Mayor Clay King said he knew the gunman and the victims.

"What I'm focusing on is people here in the town, making sure they feel comfortable," said King, who added the town of about opened a crisis center at the First Baptist Church with counselors available. "I've lived here 44 years and never, never dreamed of this happening."

King told NBC's TODAY show that he coached the suspect along with his own kids in tee-ball and in Little League. "If you had asked me two days ago if he was capable of this, I would have said certainly not."

?Most tragic events ever?
State Rep. Warren Beck, a Republican whose office is near the Wal-Mart, said his secretary heard gunfire everywhere.

"This is one of the most tragic events ever in Geneva County," he said.

Among others injured was a state trooper injured by broken glass after McLendon shot his cruiser seven times. A child of unknown age was taken to Wiregrass Medical Center in Geneva before being flown to another hospital, hospital administrator John Rainey said.

Ready to treat more victims
The hospital's staff was ready to treat more injured victims, but their hopes were dashed as death reports trickled in.

"Unfortunately, we were getting the same bad reports as everyone else: Most people were untreatable," Rainey said. "It's something you'd expect in Atlanta or your bigger cities, but in a little town it puts a lot of people in stress. Our nursing staff broke down in tears hearing what was going on and realizing they weren't going to be able to help them."

One of the spots sprayed with bullets was a hardware store in Samson. Yellow tape was strung across glass windows shattered by at least five bullets. A "closed" sign was on the ground outside atop glass shards.

Tommy Boyles, a 76-year-old security guard who works at the same plant where McLendon killed himself, said he and his wife were on the street nearby.

"We could have been caught up in it just as well as anyone else," he said. "That's what scares you: to be an innocent bystander and some nut walks up with a gun."

JHICKS3301
03-11-2009, 08:44 AM
I heard about this.. Very very sad

~~Aries~~
03-11-2009, 08:46 AM
:( What is wrong with people?

bloodsimple1234
03-11-2009, 08:50 AM
up to 15 last time I heard.

dtrain13
03-11-2009, 08:54 AM
I believe its more than 9....I think 10 and including himself 11.

_J-BONE_
03-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Very sad indeed....

Seems to be one of these weekly now.

dtrain13
03-11-2009, 08:55 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/03/11/germany.school.shooting/index.html

Pretty sure you're talking about this story from Germany.

bloodsimple1234
03-11-2009, 09:01 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/03/11/germany.school.shooting/index.html

Pretty sure you're talking about this story from Germany.

no but heard about that,terrible.I forget which site had 15,I go through a few news sites quick in the am for a little.I suppose I tend to get them confused,DrudgeReport has 12 including him.

either way it really is a terrible thing to happen,no one is perfect however there is some real evil in some.

nickrut
03-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Some people are just insane.

Glad he didn't get more.

head-honcho
03-11-2009, 09:11 AM

this might be the 15 your talking about in Germany. happened yesterday 2

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090311/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_school_attack

BlueFenix13S
03-11-2009, 09:17 AM
What a wonderful world we live in :(.

I almost cannot bear to read/listen to the news anymore, it's too depressing.

_J-BONE_
03-11-2009, 09:24 AM

The argument can be made that its not that crime is overly increasing but that the reporting of crimes(by the media) is increasing. With the onset of the thousands of news outlets and 24hr news outlets, they have to find something to report.

iluviron
03-11-2009, 09:26 AM
It's terrible, I can't figure out if I am just starting to pay more attention to the news or if society in general is going down the toilet. Seems every time I turn on the tv, as of late, there is some some crazy ****nut ruining someone elses world for no particular reason.

Saw this story last night, saw the story in Germany of a shooting rampage, log on and read about the stepfather getting that girl pregnant with twins etc... WTF!?

I am losing faith in humanity

put5onyo
03-11-2009, 09:36 AM

It's terrible, I can't figure out if I am just starting to pay more attention to the news or if society in general is going down the toilet. Seems every time I turn on the tv, as of late, there is some some crazy ****nut ruining someone elses world for no particular reason.

Saw this story last night, saw the story in Germany of a shooting rampage, log on and read about the stepfather getting that girl pregnant with twins etc... WTF!?

I am losing faith in humanity

Ahhh....The good old Golden Age Myth.

Humanity has always, and will always, be a bunch of sick ****s. Research the Crusades sometimes and what actually went down. Research the tank unit (can't remember which one it was) that Eleanor Roosevelt didn't want to let back into the country because they had driven poles into the Japs heads and stuck it on their tanks.

Mankind has not changed, just the media that reports it.

BlueFenix13S
03-11-2009, 10:00 AM
The argument can be made that its not that crime is overly increasing but that the reporting of crimes(by the media) is increasing. With the onset of the thousands of news outlets and 24hr news outlets, they have to find something to report.

Ahhh....The good old Golden Age Myth.

Humanity has always, and will always, be a bunch of sick ****s. Research the Crusades sometimes and what actually went down. Research the tank unit (can't remember which one it was) that Eleanor Roosevelt didn't want to let back into the country because they had driven poles into the Japs heads and stuck it on their tanks.

I agree with Taman partially. There are good things happening too, unfortunately the media only wants to show the bad news. For example, plance crashes. Sure 1 flight may crash into a river, but you don't hear about the hundreds of safe landings every minute around the world. Or the war in Iraq. They show X number of soldiers killed by a roadside bomb, but they don't show us building playgrounds for the kids or handing out humanitarian aid or.

I also agree with put5 though, there are some sick people in the world and there will always be. I think overall people are good, it's just that like I said, we don't hear about the good nearly as much as the bad.

carpster
03-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Another reason to shake my head and say WTF is wrong with people?!

Neopragmatist
03-11-2009, 10:50 AM

Very true.

Joe D
03-11-2009, 10:56 AM
i honestly cant watch the news anymore. it sickens me.

Wisdom15
03-11-2009, 11:01 AM
wow. wtf is wrong with people? damn.

Team Punishment
03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
inb4 stricter gun control.

put5onyo
03-11-2009, 11:55 AM
inb4 stricter gun control.

I was thinking of saying exactly what you said but then thought it was best not to bring that into this discussion.

BB2K
03-11-2009, 11:57 AM
people are unpredictable these days

Ace28
03-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Not that killing anyone is ok, but how can anyone possibly imagine shooting a 18 month old. This guy have drugs in his system or what????????????????????