PDA

View Full Version : At the gym today, I saw a kid wearing a...

Cloud Strife
01-22-2009, 10:31 PM
...mouthguard.

I negged him. Has anyone else seen this phenomenon?

SUSprinter
01-22-2009, 10:31 PM
after you negged him did he give you any IOI's?

joeflex73
01-22-2009, 10:33 PM
WTF...you should've jacked him. I mean if he's gonna wear it, might as well be for a reason. Either that or he's stone crazy. Only time I've seen it is the gym I go to has boxing/MMA training in the basement and a few guys will wear it then.

Dedicatedforlife
where? I want to meet this kid :D

SIRT1
Was he afraid that someone was goin to walk up to him and punch him in the mouth :confused:

Cloud Strife
01-22-2009, 10:34 PM
WTF...you should've jacked him. I mean if he's gonna wear it, might as well be for a reason. Either that or he's stone crazy. Only time I've seen it is the gym I go to has boxing/MMA training in the basement and a few guys will wear it then.
Yeah, there is no where to do any of that kind of stuff, at least it wasn't set up today. He was wearing it in the weight training area.

Cloud Strife
01-22-2009, 10:35 PM
where? I want to meet this kid :D
The ****tiest gym in the world: the YMCA. I need a place for nighttime workouts...I'm switching to Fulton's once this month is up :mad: Yes, mad.

Dedicatedforlife
01-22-2009, 10:35 PM
The ****tiest gym in the world: the YMCA. I need a place for nighttime workouts...I'm switching to Fulton's once this month is up :mad: Yes, mad.

Pulse baby :D

yourname2221
01-22-2009, 10:37 PM
what a good bro

Cloud Strife
01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Pulse baby :D
The pulse is only better because of the equipment. The people there are stupid f*ckers too except you, of course :D

Push Press Potts
01-22-2009, 10:42 PM
YMCA does suck but there is only one other gym in my area and it doesnt have a bball court

Dopamine_
01-22-2009, 10:43 PM
actually yea ive seen this.

it was some scrawny dude, and he had a mouthpiece in and would just walk around lookin like hes goin nuts

i asked him whats up, and he said its because he likes to bite down during sets. weird

Cloud Strife
01-22-2009, 10:44 PM
I swear to christ I'm going to kill everyone there. They are all arrogant, naive, and f*ckin rude. It makes me mad that NO ONE puts away their weights. I want to punch everyone, young children and the elderly alike, for being such douchers.

SIRT1
01-22-2009, 10:48 PM
I swear to christ I'm going to kill everyone there. They are all arrogant, naive, and f*ckin rude. It makes me mad that NO ONE puts away their weights. I want to punch everyone, young children and the elderly alike, for being such douchers.

You wont :D

Cloud Strife
01-22-2009, 10:49 PM
You wont :D
Damnit! That means I have to :mad:

SHOWTIME
01-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Well i guess I have seen some Powerlifter during competitions, but not just average lifters wearing mouth guards

Cloud Strife
01-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Well i guess I have seen some Powerlifter during competitions, but not just average lifters wearing mouth guards
He was below well average. 5'nothing'', probably 140lbs soaking wet.

Paul S25
01-22-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm good friends with a dentist who has seen people come in with cracked teeth as a result of clenching/grinding during heavy lifts. He usually fashions a plastic mould - nothing as extreme as a mouthguard, but it isn't such a stupid idea especially since dentistry costs a ****load.

SHOWTIME
01-22-2009, 10:53 PM
He was below well average. 5'nothing'', probably 140lbs soaking wet.

lol, you know what is funny, you are actually close to describing some reps on this board :eek:

lol :)

PaintPir
01-22-2009, 10:54 PM
there is a mouthguard designed for increasing lifts, I forget how it worked some guy came to my gym and gave a demo on it

Cloud Strife
01-22-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm good friends with a dentist who has seen people come in with cracked teeth as a result of clenching/grinding during heavy lifts. He usually fashions a plastic mould - nothing as extreme as a mouthguard, but it isn't such a stupid idea especially since dentistry costs a ****load.

I can understand that but it's not like he was lifting no heavy ass weights. I can see some guys ripping their teeth up (powerlifters, as mentioned) but this kid should not have been wearing a mouthguard.

lol, you know what is funny, you are actually close to describing some reps on this board :eek:

I LOL'd

Cloud Strife
01-22-2009, 10:55 PM
there is a mouthguard designed for increasing lifts, I forget how it worked some guy came to my gym and gave a demo on it
Did it also increase anabolism by a trillion percent? Cause if the answer is yes, then I know which one you're talking about.

marcodeniro
01-22-2009, 10:56 PM
i've spotted it twice . It was explained to me that he grinds his teeth while lifting. Mouthguard prevents it

DaveGabe24
01-22-2009, 10:58 PM

LOL

Paul S25
01-22-2009, 10:59 PM
I can understand that but it's not like he was lifting no heavy ass weights. I can see some guys ripping their teeth up (powerlifters, as mentioned) but this kid should not have been wearing a mouthguard.

Maybe he was weak and his lifts were heavy to him? Who knows.

ny_chow
01-22-2009, 11:01 PM
after you negged him did he give you any IOI's?

lol i know where thats from

blumnblam
01-22-2009, 11:39 PM

Pulse baby :DCurves, baby.

TinyMan
01-22-2009, 11:44 PM

I LOL'd

I have coworkers who used to clench/grind just writing code at work. It's just as much the mental state as the physical action. I have a bad tendancy to clench when I'm out cycling - I literally chewed through a small guard doing it. It's not out there that this kid does it at lighter weights... and better to look a bit silly to a few people than pay the dental works. Makes sense to me at least.

cyde
01-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I wear a mouthguard for bench, squats and dead lifts because I have this nasty habbit of grinding my teeth into dust. :( It looks asinine, but I rather keep these pearly whites looking nice.

SwolenONE
01-23-2009, 12:00 AM
I have coworkers who used to clench/grind just writing code at work. It's just as much the mental state as the physical action. I have a bad tendancy to clench when I'm out cycling - I literally chewed through a small guard doing it. It's not out there that this kid does it at lighter weights... and better to look a bit silly to a few people than pay the dental works. Makes sense to me at least.

yea ive heard of dentist telling their weightlifting patients to wear mouthgaurds for this reason.

Hell last time I was doing squats I was thinking of how i hear about ppl doing it, I can certainly see why ppl would wear a mouth piece when DLing or squatting, hell one day i may even give it a try myself. Teeth sure are a valuable asset.

TinyMan
01-23-2009, 12:06 AM
After I wore through that guard, I really noticed that I do it when cycling. I had just ground big holes through the top parts of the guard - I'd really prefer to wear out a piece of plastic than the tops of my teeth. It wasn't really a duable guard, but it was still happening. One of my coworkers had to actually wear a wrestling guard for writing code at his computer, that was pretty funny :D

Cloud Strife
01-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Three cheers for 100% dental coverage!

sizeNstrength
01-23-2009, 09:03 AM
I had a buddy who used to wear a mouth guard while lifting/cardio. He was/is a MMA guy and says that the more he uses the mouth guard the less of a distraction it is during a fight.

Viperspit
01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
The ****tiest gym in the world: the YMCA.

Why is the YMCA so bad? You can get yourself clean, you can have a good biuild.....

SHOWTIME
01-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Why is the YMCA so bad? You can get yourself clean, you can have a good biuild.....

lol WTF doing some beer funnels already?

You can get yourself cleaned, you can have a good meal,
You can do whatever you feel

Free Weight Friedel
01-23-2009, 10:27 AM

CS9OO0S5w2k

Cloud Strife
01-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Haha, you can have a good build - nice one!

Rodzilla
01-23-2009, 10:33 AM

you should probably star wearing a mouth guard because I'm going to jump you....

and I'm 5'7

and I'm not 140

:cool:

Viperspit
01-23-2009, 10:49 AM

lulz, is that the lines? Fuk, I'm at the office, I guess I blew that one :D

2 thumbs up the ass for the Village Peeps

RatherBeLifting
01-23-2009, 10:54 AM

I cracked a tooth from clenching my teeth so hard.

Big_Tom(tk)
01-23-2009, 10:58 AM

I wear a mouthguard for bench, squats and dead lifts because I have this nasty habbit of grinding my teeth into dust. :( It looks asinine, but I rather keep these pearly whites looking nice.

I actually just got one.
I had a weak tooth that I did not know was weak. I was doing DL and cracked it.. I went to the dentist, she said use a mouth guard and you shouldnt have that problem again. So I got one.

An Inconvenient Bro
01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I've seen some pro strongman do this back in the day, not guys you would neg in real life

SHOWTIME
01-23-2009, 12:19 PM
you should probably star wearing a mouth guard because I'm going to jump you....

and I'm 5'7

and I'm not 140

:cool:

lulz

We have been through this, you are NOT the rep (s) I am talking about, you actually workout, and right now have better bicep peak and speration than I do, it is more towards those who DO not work out and admit it, yet chose other activities and that is how the cookie crumbles

Although i will watch my back if you are coming to the Arnold :D

cyde
01-23-2009, 12:28 PM
I actually just got one.
I had a weak tooth that I did not know was weak. I was doing DL and cracked it.. I went to the dentist, she said use a mouth guard and you shouldnt have that problem again. So I got one.

Good idea. My dentist tried to sell me a $1,000 mouthpiece contoured to my mouth. Hah, I bought a $1 piece from Wal-Mart instead. Trim off the excess plastic, dunk it in very hot water (stovetop), place it in your mouth to reform, and repeat a few times.

factotum
01-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Good idea. My dentist tried to sell me a $1,000 mouthpiece contoured to my mouth. Hah, I bought a $1 piece from Wal-Mart instead. Trim off the excess plastic, dunk it in very hot water (stovetop), place it in your mouth to reform, and repeat a few times.

A number of companies offer custom guards for around $100. But if you aren't getting punched in the face then a boil n bite will probably suffice.

I could give a **** if someone's wearing a mouthguard while lifting, or wearing a ****ing headband or whatever. Doesn't effect my workout. The only thing that pisses me off is when people purposely throw the weights onto the floor or **** around and keep you from using equipment. Seems like some people too easily annoyed by others at the gym.

pa mma
01-23-2009, 01:14 PM
...mouthguard.

I negged him. Has anyone else seen this phenomenon?

only thing i could think of is that people who train like a boxer someone in mma who wears a mouthguard needs to be accustomed to breathing through their nose instead of their mouths...so this is practice for gametime

Rodzilla
01-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I wear a helmet when I train. Safety first motha fukcas

KimValentine
01-23-2009, 04:06 PM

I've done that too :(

I wear a helmet when I train. Safety first motha fukcas

lol!