PDA

View Full Version : Newbie..Is working out twice a day pushing it??

erifly
01-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Hey everybody. My story: I used to be very active...got extremely busy..ate nothing but mcdonalds and other fastfoot junk..and one year later I had gained about 50lbs. Was at 207lbs at one point but now with two years working out VERY inconsistently I'm at 195lbs. At 5'7" with 33% bodyfat I'm considered obese. I have been carrying this FAT for three years now and I'm ready to GET IT OFF.

***My plan*** which has been in effect for two weeks already includes hitting the gym twice a day(morning/afternoon and night around 9-10pm). Strictly Cardio. I hate lifting weights(and want to just focus on losing weight in general until i get to around 165-170). Surprisingly I retained a lot of my endurance(Can run on treadmill at 5 mph for 40 sweaty mins straight). My question is do you think I'm pushing it too much with not enough rest? Is this bad? I mean I have lots of motivation that leads to energy to keep me working out. I have also cut my calorie intake as well from 2800(to maintain weight) to about 2000.

aznstealthsnake
01-22-2009, 07:32 PM
thats too much and won't give time for muscles to recover. once a day for 2 hours @ 4-5x a week is sufficient.

erifly
01-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Whats the difference between once a day for 2 hrs(and no way I think I have enough endurance to run that long..lol) and twice a day at 60 mins a piece?

thats too much and won't give time for muscles to recover. once a day for 2 hours @ 4-5x a week is sufficient.

Kenai603
01-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Normally, if he was talking about lifting weights, then I would say that it's too much. WAY too much.

However, it seems that he is talking about strictly cardio. In my opinion, that isn't too bad. It's not far off from what I would do on a lot of days.

For example, lifting for an hour followed by cardio. Or a day with an hour or so of a nice LISS jog and then later that night I'd play basketball for an hour or so.

Sydney2009
01-22-2009, 07:50 PM
If you're able to exercise twice in a day your first work out wasn't intense enough. Ramp up the speed or incline on your treadmill and try to push your body harder. There's no need to work out twice a day. Plus you're more likely to get bored and stop after a few days or weeks of twice a day gym sessions.

Even if you hate lifting weights you should try to incorporate some resistance training. It's great for burning calories and will help in losing weight. It also helps to vary your workouts and make exercise more fun and less dull.

erifly
01-22-2009, 08:03 PM
No I mean the first few workouts left me extremely sore(and I did ended up taking a day and half off) but after the second week I'm sore to a certain extent but still can muster up energy(I guess because of the motivation) to workout twice daily(about 12hrs in between workouts usually). I'm def. pushing my body far when I work out. I will lift weights eventually but want to focus on cardio and general weight loss until I reach 170. I also do vary my workouts. It's usually treadmill in morning elliptical/stairclimper(relaly rough workout)/ellipitical at night. I just have sooo much motivation that it gives me a huge amount of energy. And I might as well use that to workout twice a day for as long as I can. I just want to know if it will have any reverse affects/bad affects for my weight loss goals.

If you're able to exercise twice in a day your first work out wasn't intense enough. Ramp up the speed or incline on your treadmill and try to push your body harder. There's no need to work out twice a day. Plus you're more likely to get bored and stop after a few days or weeks of twice a day gym sessions.

Even if you hate lifting weights you should try to incorporate some resistance training. It's great for burning calories and will help in losing weight. It also helps to vary your workouts and make exercise more fun and less dull.

adwilk
01-22-2009, 10:18 PM
First of all congrats on getting in there and working hard. Keep that goal in mind and be patient... it'll come.

One hour of cardio is probably enough for a day... dont worry too much about trying to go "harder" as long as your heart rate stays in the "zone". If you arent using an ACCURATE monitor, you're not doing yourself any favors. In fact, you could be wasting some time and effort. Sounds like your calories are about right as long as the food is clean. Make sure to spread your meals out and get in at least 5 feedings a day. 3 meals, two snacks... whatever... just give your body something to burn every 3 hours or so..

PLEASE add some kind of resistance training... even if half your cardio is on a stairmaster or something to build some muscle somewhere. The added muscle in your legs and arse can really do wonders to speed up that metabolism. I would also recommend doing some pushups or situps if you completely despise free weights. just knock out 40-50 each every other day at a minimum.

You might also try one or two days a week of some HIIT to go along with your regular routine.. good luck... keep us posted..

erifly
01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks,this is some of the best advice for alternative to lifting weights. I def. will try to hit stairmaster twice a week..and try to get some pushups/situps in 2-3 times a week. I just want to maximize my weight loss(2-3 pounds a week) safely..and I thought more cardio and smart diet was the best solution to maximize metabolism.
First of all congrats on getting in there and working hard. Keep that goal in mind and be patient... it'll come.

One hour of cardio is probably enough for a day... dont worry too much about trying to go "harder" as long as your heart rate stays in the "zone". If you arent using an ACCURATE monitor, you're not doing yourself any favors. In fact, you could be wasting some time and effort. Sounds like your calories are about right as long as the food is clean. Make sure to spread your meals out and get in at least 5 feedings a day. 3 meals, two snacks... whatever... just give your body something to burn every 3 hours or so..

PLEASE add some kind of resistance training... even if half your cardio is on a stairmaster or something to build some muscle somewhere. The added muscle in your legs and arse can really do wonders to speed up that metabolism. I would also recommend doing some pushups or situps if you completely despise free weights. just knock out 40-50 each every other day at a minimum.

You might also try one or two days a week of some HIIT to go along with your regular routine.. good luck... keep us posted..

erifly
01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I still don't see the point of lifting weights while I'm trying to lose weight. I mean best I can do is try to maintain some of my muscle but I can't really build any new muscle with a low calorie intake. I know if I do lift I need to focus on higher reps, lighter weight but isn't that basically cardio?

aznstealthsnake
01-23-2009, 03:59 PM
you lift heavy to maintain the muscle. If you don't at least lift, you will become skinny fat

dragonaut
01-23-2009, 04:03 PM
lifting helps preserve muscle in a calorie deficit, the more muscle you preserve the more calories you burn because skeletal tissue is more active metabolically than fat

if you don't lift weights your body will cannibalize muscle in a significant calorie deficit, an you probably will end up skinny fat, no good

I lost around 40 pounds in 6 months with just diet and lifting , no cardio, and the way to go when lifting is heavy weight low volume,

Djin
01-23-2009, 04:21 PM
WTF are you doing for 2 hours at the gym?

Gonz36
01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
if you are really hard pressed on losing primarily fat, then you should try to focus on doing cardio first thing in the morning, before you eat breakfast..

Djin
01-23-2009, 06:03 PM
if you are really hard pressed on losing primarily fat, then you should try to focus on doing cardio first thing in the morning, before you eat breakfast..

Lol.

Just wondering, why do you want to work out twice a day? Do you think it will warrat effects faster? Also if your pre-work out meal is well enough, then you should do some cardio after working out, but everyone will say something different. Do what works for YOU.

But why twice a day?

dragonaut
01-23-2009, 06:39 PM
there's nothing wrong with working out twice a day IF you "listen to your body" everybody has different levels of tolerance for workload, now if you start over reaching then cut back some volume

In my case .I'm currently working out twice a day on 2 days out a 4 day split

I'll do legs in the morning and chest in the night , and I'm seeing better results in my chest workouts this way

a person who does cardio, could jog 30-40 min in the morning and then lift later in the day, no big deal it's all about recovery time , some people need more some less

now the issue i see with OP is that he wants to do cardio only, that in my opinion is no good at all