PDA

View Full Version : Time Off Necessary?

lauren921
01-22-2009, 07:45 AM
I regularly read that people take a week off from training every month or so. Is it really necessary? I workout 6 days a week (currently doing P90X) but I've never taken a recovery week except for when I had surgery in June. Prior to P90X I would do weight lifting 3 times a week, spriting twice a week, and ss but challenging cardio 3 times a week. So.....should I take a week off every couple of months? TIA!

dumdum4gumgum
01-22-2009, 07:48 AM
It wouldnt hurt gives your body that extra healing time but you dont have to take a break from exceriseing as just a month will hurt your run so its up to you
http://www.imagehunt.info/brock1/aktion033.gif

GreenWave1
01-22-2009, 07:50 AM
For me, a week off each month is too much. I will take a week off when my body tells me too. This happens every three months or so. I lift 5 days a week and do one day of yoga. Sometimes I miss a single workout due to injury or fatigue.

Everyone is different. If someone needs a to go 4 weeks on, 1 week off, then that is what they need.

Good luck with your goals!

rpaul11
01-22-2009, 07:52 AM
some people like to take a week off, others just go light for a week, but at some point everybody's body needs some rest. The frequency however is going to be different for everybody.

chodan9
01-22-2009, 07:59 AM
my first couple years in I took a week off every 12 weeks (tried to anyway)
but this year it hasn't been a priority, I did 5 days a week for 8 months this last time, and wouldnt have taken off then but got a cold,then bronchitus.
but was only off a week then.
I think its a good idea to listne to your body aand see what its telling you.
P90 x seems like a pretty intense program and if you follow it well you will probably be due a few days off every month

lauren921
01-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks so much for the advice!

ntrllftr
01-22-2009, 08:02 AM
As long as you have a split that gives each directly worked muscle rest
for 4-5 days, I don't see the need to take more than a couple days off in a row.

heatwave13
01-22-2009, 08:35 AM
I regularly read that people take a week off from training every month or so. Is it really necessary? I workout 6 days a week (currently doing P90X) but I've never taken a recovery week except for when I had surgery in June. Prior to P90X I would do weight lifting 3 times a week, spriting twice a week, and ss but challenging cardio 3 times a week. So.....should I take a week off every couple of months? TIA!

Lauren, I have found that taking a week off every once in a while is very good! Speaking about my own experience, of course, my body really responds well to occasional time off to give my joints and CNS a little break after periods of very heavy lifting. I seem to always come back stronger with no loss in strength or anything else.....that is if I also take care to eat properly during the time off.

So, yeah, I would say go ahead and take a little break.

Nunyas
01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
just don't let that 1 week turn in to 2 or 3 or 4 or ... if you do, you'll hate yourself for letting it go that long, and you'll REALLY pay for it when you try to pick up where you left off...

Marius_Ursus
01-22-2009, 10:29 AM
I take a week off between cycles. I feel like I come back stronger after the break. You don't need one unless you feel you need one, though. If you're not feeling taxed, don't take the time off.

Xtcme
01-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I take a week off between cycles. I feel like I come back stronger after the break. You don't need one unless you feel you need one, though. If you're not feeling taxed, don't take the time off.

I have often wondered this. I work out 5 days a week, Sometimes 6 days a week. Every day I work different muscles tho, My body has only told me ONCE to take a break, and that was after about my Fith official leg day.

6 sets of hammer machine squats, starting off with 5 plates on each side, Up to 10 plates on each side, back down to 4 plates on each side. Yea I need a day ...LOL

aneas
01-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Depends on what your training is like. If you powerlifting probably need a break ever 2 to 3 months.

I dont feel a need the way I train but usually an injury here or something will comeup and I will miss a week or so. Hurt my neck about 2 months ago and missed 2 weeks.

jdtemple
01-22-2009, 12:06 PM
I just took a few days off because the flu was kicking my butt. My whole body felt like it had DOMS and I wasn't even lifting!

Now that I've beaten the bug and am back at it, I'm feeling refreshed; better than I felt before I got sick! I think I'm hitting it harder than I was before.

So, sometimes it helps, I suppose. The only time I take breaks is if I get very ill, or if I go on vacation for a week.

OZBB
01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I have a light week once every 6-8 weeks...my body usually lets me know when its time. When I come back to the heavier training I usually find I can up the intensity beyond what I was doing before...this is enough to tell me that the rest was an important factor in the over all scheme of things.

I used to take a complete week off but found I was always playing catchup for another 2 weeks after....so now I just go light for a week so that I dont lose what I've managed to achieve.

OZBB