PDA

View Full Version : No Idea What Supplements To Take

Maximus20895
01-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Like the title says I have no idea what supplements to take. I searched this forum and everything and there are just so much that i'm lost.

I am new at bodybuilding. I have only started a few days ago. My goal for right now is to lose some weight, but eventually build muscle. I am hoping building muscle (along with running) will burn the fat off.

My question is, what supplements should I take to make me increase muscle which in turn, burns fat. Right now, I don't like the idea of "gaining weight" because I am fat enough, but I am assuming that means muscle so if "gaining weight" builds muscle and makes me less fat then I am all for it.

The only thing I think I might like would be whey protein. Again, I do not know much about supplements and that is why I am asking the people at BB.

Thanks a bunch

Walzber
01-12-2009, 10:42 PM
What are your current stats? As far as supplementation goes, there are a LOT of options. Protein intake is going to be key, but with weight/fat loss you are going to want to focus on a clean diet, and a calorie deficit along w/ a weight lifting and cardio regimen. You want to keep your protein intake high, and that is the most common supplement. Usually whey which is absorbed very quickly. But like I said, there are lots of options w/ supps.

Maximus20895
01-12-2009, 11:04 PM
The alot of options in supplements is the reaons i'm here lol.

I am not taking anything right now since I don't want to take the wrong thing.

I am going to do weight as well as run so I hope that would include me doing a weight/cardio regimen. As of focusing on a clean diet what exactly does that mean? I know there are several people on here that eat 5-6 small meals a day. Should I be doing that now or what?

I am so lost :(

PullAndBear
01-12-2009, 11:22 PM
first thing first...you have to decide if you want to try and "bulk" (try and gain muscle, with a small risk of slight fat gain depending on how clean your diet is) or you can "cut" (try and lose fat, with a slight risk of losing some muscle). The thing is, the more muscle someone has, the higher their metabolism and the easier it is to burn fat. How tall are you and what is your weight and bodyfat percentage (if you know).

PullAndBear
01-12-2009, 11:31 PM
and read this to get clear on everything.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3720211

its part of a bigger list here:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3717251

Maximus20895
01-12-2009, 11:50 PM
first thing first...you have to decide if you want to try and "bulk" (try and gain muscle, with a small risk of slight fat gain depending on how clean your diet is) or you can "cut" (try and lose fat, with a slight risk of losing some muscle). The thing is, the more muscle someone has, the higher their metabolism and the easier it is to burn fat. How tall are you and what is your weight and bodyfat percentage (if you know).

I am 5ft. 7in. short, I know. Since the more muscle someone has the higher their metabolism it only makes sense to try to gain more muscle with the intention of losing fat.

If you need anything else please let me know.

PullAndBear
01-12-2009, 11:52 PM
how much you weigh?

Maximus20895
01-13-2009, 12:02 AM
I weight around 175. I'm not extremely muscular or anything but my arms and legs have a good build. My stomach is the gross, fatty part. Yep.

PullAndBear
01-13-2009, 12:05 AM
so go check out the thread i posted. eat 500 calories above your TDEE/BMR (its all explained in that thread). Make sure you have 40% of cals from protein, 40% from carbs, and 20% from fat. remember a gram of protein or carbs is 4 calorie while a gram of fat is 9 calories. Avoid simple sugars and refined carbs and saturated fat. That's about it! READ up all the stickies in the nutrition forum because .....'DIET IS 80% OF BODYBUILDING'.

Maximus20895
01-13-2009, 12:14 AM
I will do. Now, I just have to plan my meals. :(

Thanks again :)

Checkers_
01-13-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm right there with you man! Just starting out.
Good luck!

PullAndBear
01-13-2009, 12:36 AM
good luck to you both!

one thing i forgot...

the only supplements I would say you should invest in are:
1. a quality multi-vitamin
2. Some fish oil pills (to get your Omega-3s)
3. a nice container of whey protein (I, and many many others here, use Optimum Nutritions 100% Whey..check it out)

don't use a "fatburner" at this early stage. It's next to useless for you guys. And just remember that it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. So only make changes you can stick with forever. And implement them slowly. Good luck!

feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. I know how confusing it can be at first.

PTN_old
01-13-2009, 12:52 AM
food > supps

dexterford
01-13-2009, 09:03 AM
of course nutrition, exercise, and sleep are the primary catalysts for weight loss. high protein and high fiber diets work well. both keep you full and absorb junk from your digestive tract.
if you are looking for a supplement to trim you down, I would recommend Lipo 6 or Meltdown. There's also Lipo 6x, which is just a more expensive Lipo 6. I've lost over 10 lbs in 2 months with Lipo 6, exercise, and proper nutrition. hope this helps>

crupiea
01-13-2009, 09:38 AM
If you have your diet squared away you realy wont need any supplements.

Supplement means they supplement and already good diet.

Eat better.