PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice, please.

D0NOVAN
01-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Prolly not the place for this, but i figure you guys are probally the most knowledgable.

In about 5 months im gonna go to bud/s, And im gonna start a new endurance type program, from a previous bodybuilding program.

In other words, im gonna go from lifting heavy 4x a week, to mostly pushups/situps/pullups/dips

Im gonna be doing the following,

Weeks # 1, 2

? = x

set |rep| exercise
6 ? 30 Pushup
6 ? 35 Situp
3 ? 10 Pullup
3 ? 20 Dip

Weeks # 3, 4

10 ? 20 Push
10 ? 25 Sit
4 ? 10 Pull
10 ? 15 Dip

Week # 5

15 ? 20 Push
15 ? 25 Sit
4 ? 12 Pull
15 ? 15 Di[

Week # 6
20 ? 20 Pushup
20 ? 25 Situp
5 ? 12 Pullup
20 ? 15 Dip

I will be also following a similar running pyramid program after these workouts on the same day ( M-W-F), and swimming every morning M-F
Im currently about 5'8 175, Not sure of by BF, Probaly no lower then 15 no higher then 20,
My question is,
Were From Sun-Sat can i incorporate compound movements to keep my mass/strength up, and possibly add new mass, For example Deadlifts and Clean and jerks etc.

Im going to be following keto too, as soon as i get down to 160 ( or were im comfortable ) that will be stopped though.

advice MUCH appreciated.

DwithBeneFITPT
01-09-2009, 11:59 AM
What is the purpose for this type of switch?

rnaco
01-09-2009, 12:16 PM
The program looks fine, but from my military experience (3yrs airborne infantry) I'd say you'd have to add in a lot more running into your program. Especially with boots.

Add in some back extensions for injury prevention.

With that said also be prepared mentally. As my old drill sergeant used to say "Make them have to cart you out of there"

D0NOVAN
01-09-2009, 12:29 PM
The program looks fine, but from my military experience (3yrs airborne infantry) I'd say you'd have to add in a lot more running into your program. Especially with boots.

Add in some back extensions for injury prevention.

With that said also be prepared mentally. As my old drill sergeant used to say "Make them have to cart you out of there"

Ill be running 16 miles a week to start,
my main concern is compound movements that i can do in addition to all the endurance pt

D0NOVAN
01-09-2009, 12:30 PM
What is the purpose for this type of switch?

From heavy weight to high rep bodyweight exercises? Numbers and muscle endurance.

soccerpro6
01-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Ill be running 16 miles a week to start,
my main concern is compound movements that i can do in addition to all the endurance pt

I don't have any military experience, but 16 miles a week is not that much. (less than 3 miles a day). For a typical person that may seem like a lot, but I am going to predict you do a decent amount more of that at buds.

Like I said, just an opinion. As far as strength stuff, do alot of different grip pull ups (wide grip, reverse grip, neutral), different types of push ups (hands wide, regular, diamond). Dips are a good body weight exercise and you can do either the chest or tricep variety. Strengthen your core with a variety of crunches, and other ab work. For your lower back, back extensions are good, as well as "good mornings" (look it up in the BB.com exercise section).

I'm sure there are a lot of other exercises you can do, but these were just a few that popped into my head right away.

As far as running, I don't know what kind of experience you have with it, but if you are fairly new, start off with 1-3 miles a day, and build it up. Pace yourself and drink plenty of water, focus on your breathing (push the chest out when you inhale, in when you exhale). If you can build up to 5-8 miles a day and feel ok after, maybe even throwing in a longer 10 or 12 miler once a week, I would say you would be more then ready.

Just my ideas!

Good luck in your training!
Kyle

D0NOVAN
01-09-2009, 01:04 PM
I don't have any military experience, but 16 miles a week is not that much. (less than 3 miles a day). For a typical person that may seem like a lot, but I am going to predict you do a decent amount more of that at buds.

Like I said, just an opinion. As far as strength stuff, do alot of different grip pull ups (wide grip, reverse grip, neutral), different types of push ups (hands wide, regular, diamond). Dips are a good body weight exercise and you can do either the chest or tricep variety. Strengthen your core with a variety of crunches, and other ab work. For your lower back, back extensions are good, as well as "good mornings" (look it up in the BB.com exercise section).

I'm sure there are a lot of other exercises you can do, but these were just a few that popped into my head right away.

As far as running, I don't know what kind of experience you have with it, but if you are fairly new, start off with 1-3 miles a day, and build it up. Pace yourself and drink plenty of water, focus on your breathing (push the chest out when you inhale, in when you exhale). If you can build up to 5-8 miles a day and feel ok after, maybe even throwing in a longer 10 or 12 miler once a week, I would say you would be more then ready.

Just my ideas!

Good luck in your training!
Kyle

The running is low, i agree. But 9 weeks out it will be at about 30 miles per week,

thanks for the suggestions, Can i still do deadlifts / military presses even with the high volume of other things?

soccerpro6
01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
The running is low, i agree. But 9 weeks out it will be at about 30 miles per week,

thanks for the suggestions, Can i still do deadlifts / military presses even with the high volume of other things?

Thats true, I kind of forgot it was only 9 weeks out. I would say you can still do the deadlifts/military presses for sure. Depending on how many days a week you are lifting, you could just have 2 scheduled days where you cut back on the high volume of push ups/pull ups ect and do some weight training. It will give you a chance to let some parts of your body recover while working others.