PDA

View Full Version : New here, with questions

ComingBack
03-28-2003, 06:20 AM
Good morning! A co-worker pointed me to this site, and I am so happy to have found you all!

A little bit about me...I am married, 43 years old, work full-time (plus), and have two girls, ages 16 and 2.

I used to work out religiously (lifted 3-4x a week, plus cardio), and I was in great shape. I mean, great shape. I wore size 4 or 6, weighed 130, bodyfat maybe 15-18% (can't remember). I had tons of energy, and felt fabulous. I have been off for a little over four years, due to job demands, then pregnancy (high risk), then baby demands.

Long story short, I am ready to come back. Right now I am in a size 12 (ack!!!!), and weigh around 165 (I'm 5'3). I want the energy back, I want the good health back.

I'm thinking I need to start with walking, just to get back into the habit of taking care of myself. I also have very light weights at home (3 lbs), but I want to join a gym.

My question is this: are there any ladies here who have been through a similar set of circumstances? Do you have any insights or any recommendations for me? Thanks in advance!

MsFit
03-28-2003, 07:13 AM
I've had to prepare for shows from off season, don't know if that counts or not.

Your first step will be nutrition. Make sure you eat several clean meals a day, Cut out any junk, and drink a lot of water.

Next is exercising. This includes resistance training, as well as cardio. Dedicate at least 3 days a week to cardio, and 3 to training. Find a blance that fits your lifestyle. Train each muscle group once a week.

You should being to see results weekly if you are dedicated and focused. ;)

ComingBack
03-28-2003, 07:34 AM
hi, MsFit, thanks.

I'm cutting out the junk (and it's been tough, because it's everywhere in this office!), and increasing my water intake. When you say 'clean meals', what do you mean?

MsFit
03-28-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by ComingBack
hi, MsFit, thanks.

I'm cutting out the junk (and it's been tough, because it's everywhere in this office!), and increasing my water intake. When you say 'clean meals', what do you mean?

I know how it is working in the office with junk food as far as the eye can see. Clean meals are 1.) No junk food in the office, and 2.) Unprocessed food such as real chicken, potatoes, and veggies. You may have to start brining your meals to work, that's what I did. Everyone thought I was in sane too. They called my canister of Whey fertilizer. :D Avoid going out to eat at lunch. Take out/Restaurant food may apper healthy, but it can be deciving.

ComingBack
03-28-2003, 08:17 AM
So the closer to the natural state, the better. Right?

ComingBack
03-28-2003, 08:53 AM
and do I have to give up my a.m. coffee? :-(

MsFit
03-28-2003, 10:13 AM
LOL, yes, fresh is best...and no, you don't have to give your coffee up, but make sure you are not over doing the cream and sugar.;)

ComingBack
03-28-2003, 10:37 AM
cream and sugar?!?! And ruin the taste? :-)

MsFit
03-28-2003, 10:45 AM
LOL....sacrifices.

There are other ways of going about it. You can limit your coffee intake. Maybe half of what you are currenlty drinking, but wean off slowly.

You can also do half as much of the cream and sugar.

You can use non-fattening cream and Equal. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I'm not sure of the creamers and stuff. :D

I understand where you are coming from though. I'm a Diet Coke addict!

ComingBack
03-28-2003, 11:28 AM
no, no, I mean cream and sugar ruin the taste of the coffee. LOL

Usually I have espresso with a bit of skim milk, first thing in the morning. That's pretty much it for the day.

Anyhow, thanks for the tips and for responding.

TrishB
03-28-2003, 07:25 PM
ComingBack..welcome to BB! You got some great advice from MsFit. If you have any questions along the way...ask!

If you do have the option to join a gym...I would highly recommend it.

You will get back to where you were...it just takes alot of hard work and determination.
Good luck!! :)

ComingBack
03-29-2003, 12:03 PM
Hi Trish! Thanks for the welcome.

"You will get back to where you were"

From your mouth to God's ears. I'm trying.

There are two gyms I want to take a look at. They're both pretty small, which I think will serve me well at this stage.

TrishB
03-29-2003, 01:09 PM
The size of the gym is really not that important...most should have all the equipment you will need.

It is important to have that time for yourself with no distractions of home. Kids, phones, bills, laundry, etc....you need to get away from it all to really concentrate on you. :)

BTW...I am 47 and in the best shape of my life right now. And you can be too. So don't let anyone (even yourself) tell you otherwise. :)