PDA

View Full Version : What is one of the most memorable fights that have changed you as a fighter?

elandry
10-26-2008, 06:50 PM
When I was younger, maybe around 14 or 15 I was in karate class and my sensei and I started sparring. I was heavy into point fighting which was not the main kind of fighting we learned in the dojo. We fought for about half an hour straight, i can remember that i was beyond tired whe it was over.

anyways, I was fast and agile at the beginning pulling all the point sparring stops, getting punches and kicks in. my sensei would dismiss them and come in with a nice solid punch almost knocking me to the ground. eventually i tired from moving so much to try to get fast points in and started fighting for fighting.

my sensei was big on conditioning so he seemed like he didn't feel one of my punches, it was almost like he was a wall. my adrenaline was pumping and i was covered in sweat and my knuckles were chaffed and bleeding because we were using no gloves. I really think he was testing me like he never had before that day.

At a point during our fight something clicked, like something that would happen with an animal. i blocked one of his punches and started moving in punching his chest, as hard as i could (no face contact allowed, just pulling to the face) he started smiling and i couldnt believe it, I felt like dying.

anyways, at the end of the match we bowed and i went home and soaked in the bath. the next morning i had bruises on my chest and arms everywhere. i think that was the last time i fought my sensei before he has to retire and i moved to Ottawa.

What about you guys. he really taught me to fight through the pain and never give up.

cliffs:

sparred my sensei, no gloves
tried my style of fighting, it failed and i moved to what suited the situation
my sensei seemed unphased by my punches
kept knocking me back
something clicked, i went wild fought through his blows
sore as hell the next morning
happy as hell i was taught this way

likeke34
10-26-2008, 06:55 PM
hey man long time... anyways, my fight with george (you know who i'm talking about), it was my first time fighting as an adult and fighting someone of his caliber was a big wake up call, i realized that my distancing and timing needed a lot of work... i took my training a lot more seriously and trained a lot differently

elandry
10-26-2008, 06:58 PM
hey man long time... anyways, my fight with george (you know who i'm talking about), it was my first time fighting as an adult and fighting someone of his caliber was a big wake up call, i realized that my distancing and timing needed a lot of work... i took my training a lot more seriously and trained a lot differently

yo!
That fight must've blown you away, that man has the fastest hands I've ever seen.

likeke34
10-26-2008, 07:14 PM
haha, hell yah, i remember the next day everyone telling me, "you did so good," but i was like, "wtf? he was hitting me at will and i couldn't even get near him." you seen that vid of him knocking that guy out at nationals? btw, good topic... i can relate to the feeling after getting beat up but still you feel good about it

32vAa_uxeIY

elandry
10-26-2008, 07:40 PM
haha, hell yah, i remember the next day everyone telling me, "you did so good," but i was like, "wtf? he was hitting me at will and i couldn't even get near him." you seen that vid of him knocking that guy out at nationals? btw, good topic... i can relate to the feeling after getting beat up but still you feel good about it

32vAa_uxeIY

holy crap, no I've never seen that. I remember at the US open though i was basically pissing myself because he was in 4th position for team US in team fighting and i was in 4th position for team canada.

he would have been one of a few world medallists i fought that tournament... haha didnt come close to winning in one of those fights.

here's the pic i got with him. mustve been nuts if you ever went to any training with him.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s61/elandry_bucket/n515194940_345055_7364.jpg

Kane Fan
10-26-2008, 11:31 PM
well as a fan a fight that had a huge impact on me was Nick Diaz and Karo Parysian...
I was not a big fan of the Grappling aspect when I first saw it and seeing all the movement in the groundgame between these two guys was fantastic.

possitional movement is actually my favorit part of the groundgame right now
submissions win it of course if you have the chance to use them but I love to watch the flow of a good grappling match

in personal experiences a few things had big impacts on me

I sparred a leaner taller guy with something like 4" of reach on me
(measured shoulder to fist, not wingspan) and I was able to use timing and defence to outJab him
and I was pretty happy about that because being a HW on the Short side I had begun to think the Jab was going to be something I trained and used once in a blue moon but not a real solid technique for me
that helped me out a lot

another time I was not having a real sparring match with a friend but we were working for things in the Clinch and he has been training for a long time and I was doing very well in the Clinch. he actually said later that he had to intentionaly headbutt me to get me to ease up the pressure enough to be able to get the Clinch back to level playing fields and it was still even then
that had a big impact on me because my instuctors had full confidence in my abilities on the Inside and Clinch but I wasn't sure at that point, and after that I could tell the Clinch was going to be a good spot for me like they had thought.

and this is something that has happened to me several times
in grappling people have come at me with a shot or something, and I have managed to use a modified Judo throw to send them over me and roll up basically to be mounting them
it helped me out because I did not have a lot of confidence in my ability to Sprawl but that was a very valid way around a shot as well

this is a fun thread

likeke34
10-27-2008, 12:11 AM
dang, i didn't realize how tall you were... he's like 5 10ish and you tower over him! at least you'd have a huge reach haha

Milamber
10-27-2008, 12:48 AM
My first mma fight... OPk to cut it very short, i was an ok grappler but i preferd striking because it felt more natural to me, my opponent had maybe 5" of reach on me and was a first and formost, being an idiot i decided to stand toe to tow with him... I lost badly because i never thought to try and take him down...

ArchDukeOfTops
10-27-2008, 03:27 AM
I remeber as a kid, probably 7 years old, getting punched in the face for the first time. I was like "this is a fight like in the movies." When I punched the other kid back in the face something changed in me, and I've been addicted to fighting ever since.

titty
10-27-2008, 06:45 AM
the fight that changed me was when i was sparring in karate and i was against a 3 time british champion and he came second in the worlds.

anyway he just fought my mate and he near enough knocked him out and i was ****ing myself. and they called me up so i moved around and i punched him in the head and he just laughed and kicked the poo out of me.

then i went into my karate comp and got dq because i was going too hard and i was like WTF

elandry
10-27-2008, 08:36 PM
the fight that changed me was when i was sparring in karate and i was against a 3 time british champion and he came second in the worlds.

anyway he just fought my mate and he near enough knocked him out and i was ****ing myself. and they called me up so i moved around and i punched him in the head and he just laughed and kicked the poo out of me.

then i went into my karate comp and got dq because i was going too hard and i was like WTF

WKF karate brah?