PDA

View Full Version : I need help!!!!

musclehealth
10-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Hello, I am a 45 year old man and up to two months ago I was leading a sedentary life. Then I joined a gym and at first I started with some cardio exercises. After a while I started training with weights and I got hooked. I started changing my life bit by bit. I started eating healthier foods, I increased the number of meals to 5, I STOPPED SMOKING, instead of soft drinks I drink water or green tea. I even bought some protein powder and vitamins! I dreamt of having a nice muscular body to boost my self-condifence which is underground at the moment. All was going well until yesterday. Yesterday I was reading an article on this site written by Ivan Blazquez that puzzled me alot. These are some quotes:

?When do muscles grow? Typically in early years of life (~11-20 years of age)?

?Muscle growth or accretion in adult years is very, very hard to accomplish. In fact, to gain 1-lb of pure muscle in a year as an adult without body fat gain would be astonishing.?

My question is this, can I have a muscular body? I don't want to become a bodybuilder but I would definitely want to pack on some muscle.
Am I wasting my time and money?

Marius_Ursus
10-24-2008, 01:00 PM
One of life's greatest mysteries...

We're talking about that topic here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111456801

KingWill
10-24-2008, 01:03 PM
There is a pretty big thread on that subject -"Protein Requirements Article", right under your thread. You can see the vast majority on hear disagreed completely with the author. To answer your question, yes you can have a muscular body - just keep doing what you have started. You are not wasting your time and money.

EnigmaPower
10-24-2008, 01:05 PM
When do muscles grow? Typically in early years of life (~11-20 years of age)?
Typically doesn't mean ONLY. The article wasn't quite clear on that point.

Muscle growth or accretion in adult years is very, very hard to accomplish. In fact, to gain 1-lb of pure muscle in a year as an adult without body fat gain would be astonishing.pure unadulterated baloney.

My question is this, can I have a muscular body? I don't want to become a bodybuilder but I would definitely want to pack on some muscle.
Am I wasting my time and money?
If you desire it, you can achieve it. You willing to put in the work to do it? Now what do you mean money? As far as supps or trainers or equipment? I can tell you right now that supps are not necessary. They are supplemental to proper nutrition. Trainers also are not necessary. Equipment or a gym membership is necessary for muscle growth.

Marius_Ursus
10-24-2008, 01:05 PM
There is a pretty big thread on that subject -"Protein Requirements Article", right under your thread. You can see the vast majority on hear disagreed completely with the author. To answer your question, yes you can have a muscular body - just keep doing what you have started. You are not wasting your time and money.

Quoted for truth. This forum's full of people who didn't start getting swole until later in life.

Come to think of it, do you think maybe the author of the article meant that the number of muscle cells is finite, not the size they become? I'd believe that our muscles stop "growing" when our skeletons stop growing, as in we don't get any more cells, but we can still make the ones we have bigger.

DanVanVliet
10-24-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm 51 and still getting in better and better shape all the time go for let your mirror speak for you.

musclehealth
10-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys for your replies I really needed to hear your comments.

Last week I bought 5lbs of Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein and a container of Animal Pak vitamins and was thinking of buying some creatine as well. Is this a waste of money?

I'm off to the gym!

Marius_Ursus
10-24-2008, 01:19 PM

Last week I bought 5lbs of Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein and a container of Animal Pak vitamins and was thinking of buying some creatine as well. Is this a waste of money?

I'm off to the gym!

That depends on whom you ask. :)

I think it's all a waste of money except for whatever you're actually deficient in.

DanVanVliet
10-24-2008, 01:36 PM

I'm off to the gym!

As long as you eat correctly with the sups they do help.

Wayne Evans
10-24-2008, 05:22 PM

I'm off to the gym!

I'd emphasize something that has already been mentioned.....these are 'supplements'.
They are only to 'supplement' a good, healthy amount of real food, adequate rest and intense workouts.
Supplements are not meant to replace a good meal....just add to the efficacy of good eating habits.
I didn't start this BB quest until I was 58.
I started at 167#, got to 191# but cut back on carbs some months back and am currently at 188# and it's not handle bar material.
No, I haven't had the courage to put up a pic yet but I'm working on it.
Hang here and stick to the protocols and you will succeed whether you like it or not.

A greulling workout to all and Happy Friday.

StressMonkey
10-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Don't let anyone or anything derail you from your fitness goals. There are plenty of people on here who started later in life.

lotokids
10-25-2008, 02:07 AM
I've seen better gains at my age now as opposed to when I was in my late teens or early 20s.