PDA

View Full Version : Yerba Mate Tea - Weight loss

terri1306
10-20-2008, 05:16 AM
Hi,

Pre trying to be super healthy and focusing on weight training, I spent some time in Argentina and I got really into drinking a tea called yerba mate.

I was wondering if anyone else knows of this drink and if it has weight loss benefits like green tea, i.e. speeds up your metabolism.

I have recently started to do weight training, cardio and eat a clean diet and just wanted to know if a tea like this can compliment my weight loss goals?

vanessa40
10-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Here's a whole thread on it..
Very informative..

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=398412

bambifox
10-20-2008, 07:24 AM
I drank Yerba Mate and LOVE IT! Albeit...it's been a while since I've had some. I've been sampling some other teas like dandelion, green, etc. I'm going back to my Yerba Mate though. I did notice an increase of energy and more peaceful rest at night. I just think unless you drank it ALL DAY long...your results will not be the same. I found that the more I drank it...the more results I saw. As far as fat loss...well studies show it helps...so can't hurt:o I've been losing fat steadily...so it's hard to tell if the Yerba Mate helped or not. Gonna have some tonight though...and continue daily...will report if I notice any changes...since it's been a while since I've had some.:)

vanessa40
10-20-2008, 09:40 AM
I still have some from a few months back i bought online..
I might give it a try again too...

EnigmaPower
10-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi,

Pre trying to be super healthy and focusing on weight training, I spent some time in Argentina and I got really into drinking a tea called yerba mate.

I was wondering if anyone else knows of this drink and if it has weight loss benefits like green tea, i.e. speeds up your metabolism.

I have recently started to do weight training, cardio and eat a clean diet and just wanted to know if a tea like this can compliment my weight loss goals?
Good tea (takes a little getting used to depending on type). It has the 3 xanthines (caffeine, theophylline, theobromine - technically methylated and derivative but that makes no real difference) so it will boost energy (and help your breathing too) but it is a much smoother boost than just caffeine. Doesn't exactly speed up the metabolism. It does delay gastric emptying somewhat.

terri1306
10-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the article link, it was really useful.

I was just wondering though, how i could drink it at work. Normally when I'm at home i use a bombilla and a mate but at work i think it may look a little weird if i started drinking it like that. My company is let's say...old skool.

Any suggestions how I could drink it without resorting to pills or tea bags?

EnigmaPower
10-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the article link, it was really useful.

I was just wondering though, how i could drink it at work. Normally when I'm at home i use a bombilla and a mate but at work i think it may look a little weird if i started drinking it like that. My company is let's say...old skool.

Any suggestions how I could drink it without resorting to pills or tea bags?

ha...had the same problem working at the hospital. One thing you can do is buy Yerba Mate tea bags (nothing wrong with this) or do what I did and that was use a small tea ball (or whatever they are called) and just add hot water as needed (yerba mate goes a really long way).