PDA

View Full Version : Google's Browser (Chrome)

GeneGnomeX
09-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Super fast and the coolest thing is that each tab runs its own process so if a page freezes the whole browser doesn't crash, you can close individual tabs from the task manager.

http://www.google.com/chrome

Androgen
09-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Downloading now :D

Better than Explorer and Firefox?

chasinSKURT
09-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Can't get it for Mac yet :(

But yeah, this should blow away IE and definitely give FF a run for its money. I'm using Safari 3.1 and have NO problems, but still want to give this one a try. I used it on anther laptop today and it's actually pretty damn cool.

But then again, I like anything that competes with Microsoft. Wait until the official version comes out (not a beta) and let's see if it can catch on!

...Still waiting for "android", googles cell phone OS to come out as well.

ncangey0513
09-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Super fast and the coolest thing is that each tab runs its own process so if a page freezes the whole browser doesn't crash, you can close individual tabs from the task manager.

cool, thanks. downloading now :D.

chasinSKURT
09-02-2008, 02:43 PM
JGmO7Oximw8

Other features here:

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/features.html#

JHICKS3301
09-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Just DL it.. I LOVE IT :D

i like dat der spell checker built in :D

chasinSKURT
09-02-2008, 03:03 PM
If you guys Ctrl+Alt+Del, you can see that it runs each tab independently... pretty badass.

soundcheck129
09-02-2008, 03:09 PM
It looks pretty awesome, but this is what I got when I tried to get online:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2823103952_63e0a4ba34.jpg

JHICKS3301
09-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I like how it doesn't open up anything in new windows. Everything is done on the tabs.

Androgen
09-02-2008, 03:16 PM
I like how it doesn't open up anything in new windows. Everything is done on the tabs.

You must of had old school IE or FF, because they both use tabs as well :D

JHICKS3301
09-02-2008, 03:17 PM
You must of had old school IE or FF, because they both use tabs as well :D

Well I had tabs under my new computer and my laptop with the current version of IE...

But when I would log into school it would always open up a new window... I just logged into school just now and it just put it under a new tab

Push Press Potts
09-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Does this rival FF 2.0? FF 3.0 sucks teh balls so dont compare it to that lolz

Push Press Potts
09-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Well I had tabs under my new computer and my laptop with the current version of IE...

But when I would log into school it would always open up a new window... I just logged into school just now and it just put it under a new tabyou can make IE so that it opens everything in a new tab instead of a new window. make pop-ups open in a new tab

user27629377
09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Does this rival FF 2.0? FF 3.0 sucks teh balls so dont compare it to that lolz

wut? I love ff 3.0, in fact you are the only person I have heard thus far who hates it.

Also, in Chrome, you can go Incognito, where any website you visit won't be saved in the address bar, you won't get any cookies from the site, etc.

zeekz
09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm pretty impressed. Seems faster than Firefox to me - and I love Firefox. Give Chrome a while and I think it will have all the great features as Firefox and more. Google is an innovative company.

NeoRudyx
09-02-2008, 03:25 PM
On it... love it!! :D

Push Press Potts
09-02-2008, 03:32 PM
wut? I love ff 3.0, in fact you are the only person I have heard thus far who hates it.

Also, in Chrome, you can go Incognito, where any website you visit won't be saved in the address bar, you won't get any cookies from the site, etc.i ran it on my main comp (this is teh parents) which is an old dell that came w/ windows ME (i put xp pro on it though). FF3 ran a lot slower for me than FF2 did, and bb.com wasnt working w/ it. I said eff it and "downgraded" back to FF2.

edit: FF3 also crashed on me a good bit

kerplunk
09-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Im running FF 3.0 right now. Gonna give Chrome a try!

SPACECLOWN
09-02-2008, 04:57 PM
So far chrome is owning FF in my book. It's blazin fast. I leave my computer on for days and eventually FF would start hogging my memory. I figured they would eventually fix it but nope. I will still have it on back up now.

Zachattack43
09-02-2008, 05:13 PM

ill stick with Firefox, FF remembers all my tabs if the page freezes.

Also just like with anything, first and 2nd versions will have lots of bugs in them and im sure holes to make it easy to hack.

Also Google keeps track of what you search for and stores it in their HDs for years to come.

Gotta love Big Brother companies

Robboe
09-02-2008, 05:23 PM
It looks pretty awesome, but this is what I got when I tried to get online:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2823103952_63e0a4ba34.jpg

Make sure you've set your firewall to allow chrome to access the internet.

TTewell
09-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Also Google keeps track of what you search for and stores it in their HDs for years to come.

This is the exact reason why I won't use Chrome. Google takes the "interesting info" and sells it to the government. :(

SPACECLOWN
09-02-2008, 06:57 PM
So far only thing that has bothered my is when I neg someone it opens in a new window. No biggie.

As for history if you have an account there you can go to manage account and turn off the history.

Black_Label
09-02-2008, 06:59 PM
I like the multi processes to stop crashing and taking down everything you are doing.

TTewell
09-02-2008, 07:04 PM
As for history if you have an account there you can go to manage account and turn off the history.

That doesn't keep Google from tracking it.

nni
09-02-2008, 07:09 PM
yahoo reviewed it. compared it to IE8 beta. they like the IE8 in some aspects, the chrome in others.

GeneGnomeX
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM
ill stick with Firefox, FF remembers all my tabs if the page freezes.

Also just like with anything, first and 2nd versions will have lots of bugs in them and im sure holes to make it easy to hack.

This remembers tabs also, albeit there is no easy way to mass bookmark yet it seems.

Fuerza
09-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I really want to try it, but it doesn't support my version of windows :/ shucks.

eldawg
09-02-2008, 07:54 PM
http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20080902/first-test-of-googles-new-browser/

Push Press Potts
09-02-2008, 08:24 PM
to evreyone that doesnt use google because they store/give info to the govt, what search engine(s) do you use?

RwR72
09-03-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm really liking Google Chrome so far! Very fast and quite a few features that are ACTUALLY useful. Such as the most visited pages every time you open a new tab! Although the BB.com forum layout looks a little different for me, there's no 'Quick Links' tab any more, which I used to use all the time. And Facebook also seems to be a bit hit and miss right now. Other than that, great job by Google!

Skull Crusher Chris
09-03-2008, 05:03 AM
I just got it yesterday and am loving it so far, just wish I could get it on my phone(LG Dare) :(

~~Aries~~
09-03-2008, 06:30 AM
I can't get videos to play on youtube on it.

VaughnTrue
09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
my screen looks huge in google chrome...no huge tool bar. i likey

Sleepstream
09-03-2008, 09:17 AM
http://tapthehive.com/discuss/This_Post_Not_Made_In_Chrome_Google_s_EULA_Sucks

How surprising.

VaughnTrue
09-03-2008, 09:29 AM

How surprising.

well damn.

uninstall i suppose

SPACECLOWN
09-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Something I noticed and curious about. FF used a decent amount of memory on my machine. Chrome uses a seperate process for each tab. That's cool for the independent tab hangs but having a half dozen windows really starts to rape my memory usage :( I still like it but that would not work for say many corporate environments and especially with their EULA and they always stay in beta. Gmail is still in beta... wtf?

Cloud Strife
09-03-2008, 09:41 AM
I downloaded the new Firefox 3 for Mac the other day. I can't say that I like the new look of it. It just looks like Safari (which I hate) so I can't wait for Chrome to be available for Mac.

TinyMan
09-03-2008, 09:43 AM

How surprising.

Not entirely surprising that they tried to spring it I suppose - although I would expect it more from a company like apple TBH. Definitely gives a good reason not to use it though - I won't be installing.

deserusan
09-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Not entirely surprising that they tried to spring it I suppose - although I would expect it more from a company like apple TBH. Definitely gives a good reason not to use it though - I won't be installing.

Google is very big on data warehousing and custom tailoring page content to the end user. This new browser gives them even more power to do so. If you've ever used Google Analytics you would understand how much of a marketing machine they are. This is just a proprietary way of collecting more info to custom tailor end user content for more effective ads.

SavageOne
09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
I like the layout, but the ToS are definitely not to my liking. I will uninstall. Maybe after words gets out about that, they'll change it like the others did.

TinyMan
09-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Google is very big on data warehousing and custom tailoring page content to the end user. This new browser gives them even more power to do so. If you've ever used Google Analytics you would understand how much of a marketing machine they are. This is just a proprietary way of collecting more info to custom tailor end user content for more effective ads.

I know, I've been several times and interviewed with them. Fun place to be, although I didn't really care to work there TBH - not my type of environment.

MikeDre
09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Welcome to 2004. Anywyas Chrome is greeat besides the fact there are no extensions for me to add Gestures like FF/Opera. Also no drop down menus for repping/finding posts by clicking on name/searching. Also its kinda too Google looking.

Other than that, fast, hasnt crashed, and insightful with the new tab management.

deserusan
09-03-2008, 11:21 AM
nothing wrong with them having their own interests
something has to pay for gmail and all the stuff they offer

I agree, it's business. Unfortunately, a lot people using their services don't understand where their privacy stands. From what I understand is that they've built in protocols to assist with Einstein, Tempest, Carnivore, Echelon, etc military/gov filtering technologies. I know a few mobile carriers have too. The thing is, no one understands the brevity of the ease at which your comp's data is now compromised. It always was, now Google can do it which is scary if you ask me.

RwR72
09-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Well that's put a slight downer on everything. Guess I'll be un-installing as well, I suppose its features were all too good to be true. If it was solely a case of them wanting to work out how to focus their ads better towards my browsing habits I wouldn't care, I never pay attention to them anyway. But by giving them the right to reproduce/edit anything and everything that I pass through Chrome that's just plain ridiculous! As soon as they sort this out, I will re-install though.

RwR72
09-04-2008, 04:37 AM
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-license-agreement/

Reading that, it looks as if all the fuss can be swept to one side, and we can all start using Chrome again now!