PDA

View Full Version : Start Smart!! LOL @ my sons School!!

grace_ou
08-27-2008, 11:50 AM
My sons school has improved the schools breakfast manu this year!!! Everyones probally heard me complain about this but last year my sons elementary school offered poptarts as fruit option! It drove me nuts! But this year they have a new healthy eating program! Start Smart! There goal is high quality fuels for breakfast so I'll children will feel better physically an mentally! So they will be more successful at school!!! There goal to provide one source of lean protien an one carbohydrate for breakfast (whole grains an fruits)! Sounds great right?? They are even swapping some of the foods for organic fruits!! So what was breakfast this morning you ask??!! Well lean protien... that would be the milk and fruit.... and yes I'm serious...

ORGANIC POPTARTS!!!!!! I didn't even know what to say. LOL Thanks for the improvement guys!! Oh and cinnamon rolls are on the menu tomorrow!!

ultim8-one
08-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Cafeteria food has long been a downfall of the public school system. Best bet is to make sure the kids eat breakfast before they leave home and take a well balanced lunch with them. It has been proven that schools can in fact provide very healthy meals on the same food budget they already get but making a change like that is too radical .... why ?? because kids are allowed to be picky eaters at home and often don't like the healthy options.

although organic poptarts do sound interesting .... lol

grace_ou
08-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Cafeteria food has long been a downfall of the public school system. Best bet is to make sure the kids eat breakfast before they leave home and take a well balanced lunch with them. It has been proven that schools can in fact provide very healthy meals on the same food budget they already get but making a change like that is too radical .... why ?? because kids are allowed to be picky eaters at home and often don't like the healthy options.

although organic poptarts do sound interesting .... lol

I'm guessing organic poptarts cost more money then regular most organic foods do... so seriously I wanna know who thought this through! Let's see how to improve breakfast... hmmm... maybe for there fruit choice we should give them fruit...No organic poptarts would be a better option!! They did however improve lunch some the kids now have salad bar which is cool... execpt I haven't seen what's on it yet so I might wanna reserve judgement on that till I go to lunch. Cause I'm thinking ya know fresh veggies, they may be thinking I don't know deep fried tomotoes or something!!

phikappa
08-27-2008, 12:12 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Path-Organic-Pastries-Blueberry/dp/B000E46GGO/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

grace_ou
08-27-2008, 12:14 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Path-Organic-Pastries-Blueberry/dp/B000E46GGO/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

OMG!!!! Tell me they couldn't buy apples are something for that!!!

rpaul11
08-27-2008, 12:14 PM
wow...your kids get served breakfast?

terribletriad
08-27-2008, 12:18 PM
Here's the thing. Young kids at home are picky eaters let alone a school trying to feed hundreds of kids. The thing to remember is that if they eat healthy while at home, and get the proper amount of exercise, what they eat at school shouldn't be that big of a deal.

grace_ou
08-27-2008, 12:19 PM
wow...your kids get served breakfast?

If that what you wanna call it! LOL I only let my son eat breakfast at school 1 day a week cause the healthies thing they serve is cereal. But once a week he has a morning program he goes to before school and on that day he'll eat breakfast at school. It probally wouldn't bother so much if they weren't constantly preaching the importance of kids having a healthy breakfast before school. To improve behavior,grades,concentration,ect.... but then they offer them junk food.

rpaul11
08-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Here's the thing. Young kids at home are picky eaters let alone a school trying to feed hundreds of kids. The thing to remember is that if they eat healthy while at home, and get the proper amount of exercise, what they eat at school shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I tend to disagree. lets say your child eats 3 meals per day. That is 21 meals per week. Lets say they eat breakfast and lunch at school 5 days per week. that is 10 meals at school. If 1/2 of the meals they eat are sheer garbage...then it is a big deal.

rpaul11
08-27-2008, 12:22 PM
If that what you wanna call it! LOL I only let my son eat breakfast at school 1 day a week cause the healthies thing they serve is cereal. But once a week he has a morning program he goes to before school and on that day he'll eat breakfast at school. It probally wouldn't bother so much if they weren't constantly preaching the importance of kids having a healthy breakfast before school. To improve behavior,grades,concentration,ect.... but then they offer them junk food.

do you have a PTA or something along those lines? I would go and voice my opinion. If not...then the school board...they are elected ;)

Marius_Ursus
08-27-2008, 12:25 PM

I eat the unfrosted ones. They're delicious.

grace_ou
08-27-2008, 12:26 PM

The problem with this is that one of the biggest reasons they have breakfast in schools is to help provide underprivialge children with a chance to get in all meals and healthier meals.My children do eat breakfast at school 4 out of 5 school days. But there is no reason why the school can not offer them a healthy breakfast none. As for the arguement of children being picky eaters the schools that have switched over to the Healthy eating programs have not found this to true. Children will eat what you offer them. The few schools that have gone over to salad bars,fresh veggies an fruits have that children actually like them give and those schools have seen improvements in the overall behavior and greades in those schools.

grace_ou
08-27-2008, 12:30 PM
do you have a PTA or something along those lines? I would go and voice my opinion. If not...then the school board...they are elected ;)

Oh belive me I voice my opion on regular basis!! I even protested one school event last year! Now they are making improvements slowly. I'll be their yellin the whole way!! LOL

Dad_in_KC
08-27-2008, 12:30 PM
I feel your angst... Our daughter's former school had a horrible lunch program, and worse, offered vending machines and soda machines. This may not be the best way to do it, but we pretty much freaked our kid out with tales of obesity, high blood pressure, and heart disease such that she was freaked out to eat most of the crap they served. This back fired on us when we got a note from a teacher saying that our kid was not eating during lunch.... ughhhh. We had another talk - this time I let the wife speak and I just nodded my head at times - asking her to imagine what mom and dad would choose if we were there eating and try to do that, if you slip up once and while - then you'll really be like us :-) Seems to work, I think. Her school now has a much better selection for her to chose from but the junk food dispensers remain....

(Imaging my kid woofing down a snickers bar with a mountain dew chaser about now...)

Good luck!

Mike

grace_ou
08-27-2008, 12:31 PM

But do you really consider it a fruit???

rpaul11
08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
The problem with this is that one of the biggest reasons they have breakfast in schools is to help provide underprivialge children with a chance to get in all meals and healthier meals.My children do eat breakfast at school 4 out of 5 school days. But there is no reason why the school can not offer them a healthy breakfast none. As for the arguement of children being picky eaters the schools that have switched over to the Healthy eating programs have not found this to true. Children will eat what you offer them. The few schools that have gone over to salad bars,fresh veggies an fruits have that children actually like them give and those schools have seen improvements in the overall behavior and greades in those schools.

that is correct. Children will eat what is served. If they don't...they will not starve by any means. Eventually they will see others eating it and try it. And likely the will actually enjoy the new food or at least learn to be less picky. Nobody said every meal has to be their favorite. It just has to be something that they will not mind eating.

phikappa
08-27-2008, 12:42 PM

Ya know, they don't look too bad.

I'd give it partial credit as a fruit, esp if it actually contains real fruit. I think OJ typically qualifies as .75 fruit.

ultim8-one
08-27-2008, 12:53 PM

I'd give it partial credit as a fruit, esp if it actually contains real fruit. I think OJ typically qualifies as .75 fruit.

just found a link to the Cherry Pomegran ones ..... not really good for you imo ... 17 grams of sugar (out of 37 grams of carbs), 3 grams of protein, 3 grams saturated fat.

Surely the school systems dieticians can do better .. no ??

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=179660&prrfnbr=1052813

jawter
08-27-2008, 01:01 PM
School lunches have never been the greatest but at least it is better than nothing. School lunch programs have a one massive flaw....... they can not descriminate. Since the school lunch programs are publicaly funded they have to be open to all students in the school system which leads to the food budget being stretched thin by by having to provide meals to all students at the same price. In the end schools have to decide were to spend the money that is most cost effective in order to meet the needs of feeding an entire school for less than $2.50 a plate. Try going to a restaraunt and feed your kid an ORGANIC and balanced meal for $2.50 and see how much you get.

BG, I am of the opinion the parents should feed their children at home before sending them off to school, parents should also prepare a lunch for their children to take with them. My parents were able to do this every day for over four years then they had me and my brother prepeare our own meals for the next eight, if we didn't we either had to spend our own money to buy a lunch or go hungry.

For more information on the school lunch program and pricing check out http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Lunch/default.htm

Marius_Ursus
08-27-2008, 01:07 PM

LOL

No, it's certainly not a fruit.

Marius_Ursus
08-27-2008, 01:09 PM

They're better than not bad. Remember what Pop Tarts tasted like when we were kids before high fructose corn syrup was added to everything?

It's like that.

grace_ou
08-27-2008, 01:15 PM
LOL

No, it's certainly not a fruit.

Call me crazy but I think a fruit option should ...... I don't know include a fruit! :D

rpaul11
08-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Call me crazy but I think a fruit option should ...... I don't know include a fruit! :D

damn liberals :D

Marius_Ursus
08-27-2008, 01:27 PM
just found a link to the Cherry Pomegran ones ..... not really good for you imo ... 17 grams of sugar (out of 37 grams of carbs), 3 grams of protein, 3 grams saturated fat.

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=179660&prrfnbr=1052813

Well, there's 19 grams of sugar in a cup of cherries, so 17 grams in a cherry/pomegranate pastry is good, especially when compared with standard OTS pies and pastries.

Plus they contain whole fruit bits, not just thickened juice. You actually get lumpy fruit goodness in the filling.

rpaul11
08-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, there's 19 grams of sugar in a cup of cherries, so 17 grams in a cherry/pomegranate pastry is good, especially when compared with standard OTS pies and pastries.

Plus they contain whole fruit bits, not just thickened juice. You actually get lumpy fruit goodness in the filling.

LMAO @ lumpy fruit goodness :D

ultim8-one
08-27-2008, 01:54 PM

lol .. you sound like a TV add for them ..... "lumpy fruit goodness" .....

phikappa
08-27-2008, 02:21 PM

Those are the frosted ones, so those numbers are kind of expected.

Marius_Ursus
08-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Those are the frosted ones, so those numbers are kind of expected.

I didn't even look at the link to see they're frosted. That doubles what I said before about their sugar content.

TDetroit
08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
My sons school has improved the schools breakfast manu this year!!! Everyones probally heard me complain about this but last year my sons elementary school offered poptarts as fruit option! It drove me nuts! But this year they have a new healthy eating program! Start Smart! There goal is high quality fuels for breakfast so I'll children will feel better physically an mentally! So they will be more successful at school!!! There goal to provide one source of lean protien an one carbohydrate for breakfast (whole grains an fruits)! Sounds great right?? They are even swapping some of the foods for organic fruits!! So what was breakfast this morning you ask??!! Well lean protien... that would be the milk and fruit.... and yes I'm serious...

ORGANIC POPTARTS!!!!!! I didn't even know what to say. LOL Thanks for the improvement guys!! Oh and cinnamon rolls are on the menu tomorrow!!

cinnamon rolls.... mmmm.... I want to go to school there.
maybe they will come up with fruit rollups instead of fruit.(it's real fruit)

Nikonguy
08-27-2008, 08:10 PM
next ur gonna say jelly donuts ain't fruit neither!!! Oh, this is sooo wrong!! ;)

anti-bonk
08-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh belive me I voice my opion on regular basis!! I even protested one school event last year! Now they are making improvements slowly. I'll be their yellin the whole way!! LOL

I agree with you the whole way on the school meals needing improvement. I hesitate though because I hope you aren't actually going in there yelling. The reason I say that is that you don't want to become "that lady" that is always complaining. You will be more persuasive if people who make the decisions actually like you and can figure out a way to make your ideas work.

I would also suggest that when you do go in with your concerns that you actually have some reasonable suggestions for how they can make your ideas work in a way that is economical, practical and feasible. In other words, it is fine if you expect them to get rid of the poptarts, but you need a plan for something that will work on a day to day basis. The fact is the poptart is a solution for them to feed children (IMO a schools primary concern should be on teaching, not making breakfast but oh well...). The poptart is a food item that lasts for extended periods of time if not used immediately (unlike fresh fruit), as such it is more economical, it does not need refrigeration (unlike some fruit), can be easily stored on a shelf in packages (unlike fruit), and most kids will eat it (unlike fresh fruit). If you want them to give up all of these benefits that the poptart affords them then you need to have a plan when you go into those meetings. A nutritious plan that will actually work in real life.

Go in there with some intelligent suggestions that they can make work on a large scale, because if parents have a tough time feeding their own 2 or 3 children five days a week and dump them off to the school system to feed them instead then you can imagine how difficult a job it is for the school to feed hundreds of kids. But maybe with some patience and some reasonable and intelligent alternatives you may be able to help them see the importance of offering some more nutrtional options. Good luck cause the kids need it.

rpaul11
08-27-2008, 09:00 PM
I would also suggest that when you do go in with your concerns that you actually have some reasonable suggestions for how they can make your ideas work in a way that is economical, practical and feasible. I agree

(IMO a schools primary concern should be on teaching, not making breakfast but oh well...). Schools get funding and recieve tax money to provide reasonably health meals for the children...them accepting that money make it their responsibility
The poptart is a food item that lasts for extended periods of time if not used immediately (unlike fresh fruit), as such it is more economical, it does not need refrigeration (unlike some fruit), can be easily stored on a shelf in packages (unlike fruit), and most kids will eat it (unlike fresh fruit). how about canned fruit? Even with the added sugars it is a better option that is relatively cheap when bought in bulk. there are options if they care to look
If you want them to give up all of these benefits that the poptart affords them then you need to have a plan when you go into those meetings. A nutritious plan that will actually work in real life. again, agreed

grace_ou
08-27-2008, 09:44 PM
I agree with you the whole way on the school meals needing improvement. I hesitate though because I hope you aren't actually going in there yelling. The reason I say that is that you don't want to become "that lady" that is always complaining. You will be more persuasive if people who make the decisions actually like you and can figure out a way to make your ideas work.

I would also suggest that when you do go in with your concerns that you actually have some reasonable suggestions for how they can make your ideas work in a way that is economical, practical and feasible. In other words, it is fine if you expect them to get rid of the poptarts, but you need a plan for something that will work on a day to day basis. The fact is the poptart is a solution for them to feed children (IMO a schools primary concern should be on teaching, not making breakfast but oh well...). The poptart is a food item that lasts for extended periods of time if not used immediately (unlike fresh fruit), as such it is more economical, it does not need refrigeration (unlike some fruit), can be easily stored on a shelf in packages (unlike fruit), and most kids will eat it (unlike fresh fruit). If you want them to give up all of these benefits that the poptart affords them then you need to have a plan when you go into those meetings. A nutritious plan that will actually work in real life.

Go in there with some intelligent suggestions that they can make work on a large scale, because if parents have a tough time feeding their own 2 or 3 children five days a week and dump them off to the school system to feed them instead then you can imagine how difficult a job it is for the school to feed hundreds of kids. But maybe with some patience and some reasonable and intelligent alternatives you may be able to help them see the importance of offering some more nutrtional options. Good luck cause the kids need it.

LOL,no actual yelling...... but I have been constantly at odds with schools choice on lunches,snacks,fund raisers,ect. But it's small school so I know everyone there and were all on good terms the schools always willing to listen to me (all though I'm sure I'm a pain in there butt) there not always so willing to change things though even when it's possiable.I realize changing anything in the cafateria will be diffacult cause it's not just the school involed here there's along chain of people involed there and alot of rules. But I have been there are smaller things that can be changed. I always approach the school and collect info before going back and asking for something to be changed. Like last year (this was a huge problem for me) the school held a jog a thon to raise money.. well the kids trained for it got people to sponsor them and as added way to raise money the school sells things at the race well ALL and I do mean ALL that they were gonna sell to the kids at this event was candy and soda!! Seriosuly nothing was bought by the school execpt candy and soda. I had a huge problem here! I tried everything to get this changed with no luck. To me selling them nothing but candy and soda was just irresponsable. We couldn't get the school change anything and barely could even get the parents involed. In the end I settle for making a point. Me and the few parents I could pull into it ended up getting a permission to hold our own sell at the race and we sold fruits and flavored water stuff like that and we ended up raising alot of money and selling out. So hopefully this year they will take that into consideration.

I also get the kids involed since they are allowed to vote on rules and things in there own class rooms.I go talk to my sons class during lunch! Like the school allows the classes to have a snack break (kids bring there own snacks) and it's routinely used as a reward and punishment system. Which I hate! I don't think you take food away as a punshiment. So I went and asked the kids how they felt about it and suggested they put it for vote. This rule was voted out of the classroom.

anti-bonk
08-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Schools get funding and recieve tax money to provide reasonably health meals for the children...them accepting that money make it their responsibility
Sure. It has been made their responsibility and that is the way the system is now. Ideally parents should be making sure their kids have proper nutrtion at home but the fact is in real life some parents can't afford to or for whatever reason the kids aren't getting fed at home. So it has fallen to the school system now to take on that task. I just think the school systems have drastically changed and have so many issues to deal with these days and unfortunately are being distracted from the task of educating. Now that they have taken on the task of offering breakfast however, I do think it is important for it to be more nutritious than poptarts. (And trust me- in elementary school I was the fat kid and I looooved poptarts.)

how about canned fruit? Even with the added sugars it is a better option that is relatively cheap when bought in bulk. there are options if they care to look

Now that would be what I would classify as an "intelligent suggestion". It may not solve the whole problem but it is one alternative to pastries and something the school systems could consider working with.

I am also glad to see parents on a bodybuilding forum getting upset that the school meals aren't nutritious. Our schools are having an epidemic of obesity and something needs to change. On the other hand the schools have so many more issues to have to deal with these days that used to be dealt with in the home and were never issues in the school when I was a kid. Educators have got it tough and most of them are open to suggestions for improvements depending on how our concerns are presented to them.

anti-bonk
08-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Seriosuly nothing was bought by the school execpt candy and soda. I had a huge problem here! I tried everything to get this changed with no luck. To me selling them nothing but candy and soda was just irresponsable. We couldn't get the school change anything and barely could even get the parents involed. In the end I settle for making a point. Me and the few parents I could pull into it ended up getting a permission to hold our own sell at the race and we sold fruits and flavored water stuff like that and we ended up raising alot of money and selling out. So hopefully this year they will take that into consideration.

Man, I'm not an anti-soda fanatic or anything like that, but I hate the fact that some schools actually have soda machines in them.

And the fruit and flavored water idea is great! Especially if you can get kids involved in making the changes themselves -that is the way to go.

grace_ou
08-27-2008, 09:57 PM
I can not for the life of me see any reasoning behind poptarts as a fruit. I don't see how it meets the guidelines as a fruit! Also they have fresh fruit option everyday for lunch so I don't see why fruit cann't be offered at breakfast.And I cann't even see it as a money issue, because the school has to keep fruit on hand for lunch if they can do it for lunch why not breakfast and breafast has to be by there guidelines 1 lean protien an 1 carb fruit or whole grains. I don't for the life of me see how poptarts or cinnomon rolls fall into these guidelines.

grace_ou
08-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Man, I'm not an anti-soda fanatic or anything like that, but I hate the fact that some schools actually have soda machines in them.

And the fruit and flavored water idea is great! Especially if you can get kids involved in making the changes themselves -that is the way to go.

The kids love it. I bring it on snack days and when it's my turn at practices. They love watermelon!! I hear from the school all the time oh well we do it cause the kids want eat anything else or this is what sells best... but I don't it's true. I think it's parents and the school system underestimating our children. I never bring junkfood to any of the functions and the kids are always happy with I bring.

anti-bonk
08-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Poptarts not fruit? This should explain everything:

l8kThoZpF_U

grace_ou
08-27-2008, 10:10 PM

OMG last year they started allowing the teachers to sell candy bars directly to the students (in the classrooms) to raise money!! I had a freakin fit over it! (LOL no I didn't yell) I contacted the local newspaper when the school board refused to do anything about it. I understand the need to raise money but seriously they could have choosen alot of other options over candy bars.

Keltron
08-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm actually appalled at the fact that there are soda machines in schools.

grace_ou
08-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm actually appalled at the fact that there are soda machines in schools.

What's more appaulling is that the majority of them don't offer diet options!!

Bando
08-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Cool thread.

I'm involved with a big information/teaching campaign on kids eating and health choices. The "pop tart as a fruit" option is shocking. It reminds me of when ketchup (with HFCS of course) was a vegetable. There must be some nutritionists/dieticions within the state dept. of ed. who would have objection to this.

As other posters have suggested we pack our kids a healthy lunch, but sometimes it comes back uneaten :( As for breakfast - my kids don't want it, even a bowl of sugary cereal is only worthy of a few bites.

grace_ou
08-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Cool thread.

I'm involved with a big information/teaching campaign on kids eating and health choices. The "pop tart as a fruit" option is shocking. It reminds me of when ketchup (with HFCS of course) was a vegetable. There must be some nutritionists/dieticions within the state dept. of ed. who would have objection to this.

As other posters have suggested we pack our kids a healthy lunch, but sometimes it comes back uneaten :( As for breakfast - my kids don't want it, even a bowl of sugary cereal is only worthy of a few bites.

I am still trying to figure out how poptarts qualify as a fruit (who an how that decision is actually being made) and also the cinnamons rolls. I don't see how they qualify as a healthy whole grain options. I could give it them as dessart but not a meal in it self. Our school is making progress though little by little. I was very happy with the addition of the salad bar. Which provides raw fruits and veggies and gives the children choices.... but it is the reason why I cann't see there being any excuse for poptarts being served as a fruit. The school has fresh fruits to serve and it's my understanding that it's not an issue of food shortage either. The 4th & 5th grade classes are given options for second plates at no charge because there was extra food going to waist. It seams more to be an issue of no real thought going into the breakfast being served.

magnumfreak
08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
poptarts as fruit comes from the same logic as ketchup being a vegetable.

Although I am not defending the school systems I do have to say that because the majority of parents and kids do not think like we do cafeteria's have a tough job of balancing preparing meals for 1000 kids by making them all the same or taking the extra effort to make several different meals to try to accomodate different needs. Most of the cafeteria's around here are way understaffed and doing something like this would be nearly impossible.

grace_ou
08-28-2008, 08:47 PM
poptarts as fruit comes from the same logic as ketchup being a vegetable.

Although I am not defending the school systems I do have to say that because the majority of parents and kids do not think like we do cafeteria's have a tough job of balancing preparing meals for 1000 kids by making them all the same or taking the extra effort to make several different meals to try to accomodate different needs. Most of the cafeteria's around here are way understaffed and doing something like this would be nearly impossible.

It could very well be a time and staffing issue. Judging by our breastfast menus. The kids only get one hot option (which is almost always a burrito or cinnamon roll or pancakes) or cereal and a fruit. It must certianly be faster to throw up a box of poptarts then to dish up can fruit or cut fresh fruit. Not that I would see that as reasonable excuse just something else that needs fixing.

Bando
08-28-2008, 09:05 PM
It could very well be a time and staffing issue. Judging by our breastfast menus.

I think you hit the nail on the head. A lot of complainers but only a couple of poor lunch ladies to serve the food. Maybe it's time to get some volunteers (old church ladies?) in the kitchen to prompt them young un's to eat right.

ps. your avatar and atrocious spelling - "breastfast menu" is making my thinking clouded.

grace_ou
08-28-2008, 09:18 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. A lot of complainers but only a couple of poor lunch ladies to serve the food. Maybe it's time to get some volunteers (old church ladies?) in the kitchen to prompt them young un's to eat right.

ps. your avatar and atrocious spelling - "breastfast menu" is making my thinking clouded.

LOL, I usually post while doing homework or studying.... so I'm typing with my left hand and not paying alot of attention to spelling.. LMAO atleast this thread has full sentences I have alot of post where I forgot words or only half sentences!! *don't get me wrong though I'm def a hideous speller!*

Lots of times there solutions but it's very hard to get people involed in anything they have to. The schools are always underpaid,understaffed and very busy, so if there isn't a large number of people concerned then noone will bother with it regaurdless of the problem. Like last year we had wasps in one of the post outside the main door of the school and it was huge! (I might still have pics of this not sure) Despite the danger to children it took me 2 weeks of complaining to the principle and school board to even get a request in to have this takin care of and then it was another 2 weeks before came out. Other parents would agree someone need to take of that but I couldn't get anyone to actually complain about it.

KLMARB
08-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Overall, school food is unhealthy (my opinion) and is based on 30-40 yr old invalid nutritional philosophy. Not nearly enough protein and way too many carbs. Its a recipe for insulin resistance and obesity. I've taken my kids off that crap, and now one of them has dropped four inches on his waist, is no longer considered a "fat boy" and was recruited by the cross-country coach. He is one of the fastest kids on the team now....

grace_ou
08-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Overall, school food is unhealthy (my opinion) and is based on 30-40 yr old invalid nutritional philosophy. Not nearly enough protein and way too many carbs. Its a recipe for insulin resistance and obesity. I've taken my kids off that crap, and now one of them has dropped four inches on his waist, is no longer considered a "fat boy" and was recruited by the cross-country coach. He is one of the fastest kids on the team now....

Our schools idea of a healthy breakfast is 1 lean protien (milk,yogurt or cheese) this is there list you'll notice no eggs or meats are included. Milk is always the protien source and those little pints have what 5 maybe 6 grams of protien. Also a whole grain carb source and fruit. Now apparently whole grain means any carb, hence cinnamon rolls being allowed and fruit is so far this year a poptart. I've yet to see another option this year (which ofcoarse has only been a week and half) but this means breafast today would contain, cereal milk and poptart or pancake milk an poptart. That's completely ridiculous and unbalenced.

jawter
08-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I can not for the life of me see any reasoning behind poptarts as a fruit. I don't see how it meets the guidelines as a fruit! Also they have fresh fruit option everyday for lunch so I don't see why fruit cann't be offered at breakfast.And I cann't even see it as a money issue, because the school has to keep fruit on hand for lunch if they can do it for lunch why not breakfast and breafast has to be by there guidelines 1 lean protien an 1 carb fruit or whole grains. I don't for the life of me see how poptarts or cinnomon rolls fall into these guidelines.

Three out of my ten years in the military I was a cook and a year of that time was managing the ration room,,,,ie I purchased and stored the food to feed over a thoushand soldiers three meals a day 7 days a week both in a dining facility and out in a combat zone. I can tell you for a fact that it takes more money and effort to store fresh foods. The more fresh foods you have the higher the cost.

The first and biggest limitting factor is storage space, most facilities do not have a lot of refrigeration capacity, they don't have funds to by more capacity and quite often do not have any place to put another refrigerator without building an entire new facility.

The work around for limitted refrigeration capacity is to order more often, so instead of ordering once or twice a week a school can order 3-5 times a week but that would mean another fulltime employee with benefits and the increase of delivery costs.

Another idea that was floated was the use of canned fruit, this would require more prep time because it would have to be placed into single serving containers plus spoons would have to be given out. Again costs from more labor time and materials not to mention additonal clean-up time for the spills that will happen.

Next idea would be single server fruit cups but as with the canned fruits there is the persrvatives to be considered and added sugar plus single serve containers are notorious for costing 3 to 5 times more than canned items.

Before making a bunch of suggestions go to the school administration building and request a copy of the schools complete budget. Then contact a school principle and get a tour of the school most notably the cafeteria. Once you understand the limitations and resources that the school has the better of suggestions you can make.

Remember that there are "hidden" costs to everything and it only gets worse when dealing with the goverment.

rpaul11
08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Remember that there are "hidden" costs to everything and it only gets worse when dealing with the goverment.

Don't forget the "hiddent costs" of feeding our children sugar for breakfast :)

I get your point though. But still I find pop tarts as a fruit and cinnamon rolls as a complex carb kinda unacceptable IMHO

jawter
08-29-2008, 12:15 PM

I get your point though. But still I find pop tarts as a fruit and cinnamon rolls as a complex carb kinda unacceptable IMHO

From an nuitrition point I agree. I'm just trying to bring the real life "why" into the discussion.

rpaul11
08-29-2008, 12:16 PM
From an nuitrition point I agree. I'm just trying to bring the real life "why" into the discussion.

yeah...I understand your point :)

grace_ou
08-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Three out of my ten years in the military I was a cook and a year of that time was managing the ration room,,,,ie I purchased and stored the food to feed over a thoushand soldiers three meals a day 7 days a week both in a dining facility and out in a combat zone. I can tell you for a fact that it takes more money and effort to store fresh foods. The more fresh foods you have the higher the cost.

The first and biggest limitting factor is storage space, most facilities do not have a lot of refrigeration capacity, they don't have funds to by more capacity and quite often do not have any place to put another refrigerator without building an entire new facility.

The work around for limitted refrigeration capacity is to order more often, so instead of ordering once or twice a week a school can order 3-5 times a week but that would mean another fulltime employee with benefits and the increase of delivery costs.

Another idea that was floated was the use of canned fruit, this would require more prep time because it would have to be placed into single serving containers plus spoons would have to be given out. Again costs from more labor time and materials not to mention additonal clean-up time for the spills that will happen.

Next idea would be single server fruit cups but as with the canned fruits there is the persrvatives to be considered and added sugar plus single serve containers are notorious for costing 3 to 5 times more than canned items.

Before making a bunch of suggestions go to the school administration building and request a copy of the schools complete budget. Then contact a school principle and get a tour of the school most notably the cafeteria. Once you understand the limitations and resources that the school has the better of suggestions you can make.

I've actuall already done some of this. WHat the school would permit or take the time to explain and go over with me. I didn't just jump in and start complaining and demanding changes. Since last year there have been some changes made like the sddition of the salad bar. In order to allow the salad bar the school is now able to buy fresh fruits and veggies from local farmers which helps with the storage issue and according to the schools hasn't proven to be anymore exspensive. Lunch wise the school is making improvements on the foods served. I haven't quite been able to nail down the problem with breakfast yet... mostly the poptart thing as fruit. The school has the fruit on hand and we have extra apparently cause they have started this week offering seconds to the last classes to eat because some of it is going to waist so I don't really understand why the fruit cann't be served at breakfast. I've asked about it and so far not gotten an answer but I'm meeting with the school next week so hopefully I can get an answer to that.

grace_ou
08-29-2008, 12:22 PM

Me to which is why I keep pushing it.

You really have to get to the real issue or you want get a solution. Lots of times when you first approach people that work at the school about something like this you'll get a answer off the top of their head cause they figure your not really gonna see it through and you want get very far. Lots of times the first person you talk to may not even know. It takes a while to get answers and fix problems I can work with that. LOL,I started this last year and it took of the year for them to take me seriously!

grace_ou
08-29-2008, 12:42 PM
A few of the things I've gotten changed at my sons school so far is instead of snack cakes which are nothing but sugar the kids get whole grain cereal bars, I also talk the kids about voting on rules for snack time. I help them set up healthy snack rules, instead of sodas they now get flavored water. Which the kids seam to like. Also candy will no longer be sold to students in the classrooms. It's small changes but positive ones. Things like I know nothing will change over night but small changes add up after a while.

rpaul11
08-29-2008, 12:45 PM
A few of the things I've gotten changed at my sons school so far is instead of snack cakes which are nothing but sugar the kids get whole grain cereal bars, I also talk the kids about voting on rules for snack time. I help them set up healthy snack rules, instead of sodas they now get flavored water. Which the kids seam to like. Also candy will no longer be sold to students in the classrooms. It's small changes but positive ones. Things like I know nothing will change over night but small changes add up after a while.

hell, the fruit filled cereal bars would be better than pop tarts for breakfast....even get the whole grain ones...and no sugar added ones....It's really easier than they think....it's changing their minds that is so hard :rolleyes:

SP1966
08-29-2008, 12:46 PM
My youngest daughter loves the granola bars, but then she does not have much of a sweet tooth, doesn't even like chocolate!

rpaul11
08-29-2008, 12:48 PM
My youngest daughter loves the granola bars, but then she does not have much of a sweet tooth, doesn't even like chocolate!

my daughter hates everything that is good for her. I'm slowly convincing my wife that goldfish cracker...though "healthier than potato chips" are not a healthy snack.

grace_ou
08-29-2008, 12:48 PM
hell, the fruit filled cereal bars would be better than pop tarts for breakfast....even get the whole grain ones...and no sugar added ones....It's really easier than they think....it's changing their minds that is so hard :rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth!! When I first brought the idea of the kids getting cereal bars over snackcakes you would have thought I was asking to relocate the school!!! Their first response was ofcoarse "Oh the kids want it those.." :rolleyes:

rpaul11
08-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Ain't that the truth!! When I first brought the idea of the kids getting cereal bars over snackcakes you would have thought I was asking to relocate the school!!! Their first response was ofcoarse "Oh the kids want it those.." :rolleyes:

if they are hungry...they will eat it. If they don't eat it...the were not that hungry...and by all means they won't starve without their snack.

grace_ou
08-30-2008, 10:24 AM
if they are hungry...they will eat it. If they don't eat it...the were not that hungry...and by all means they won't starve without their snack.

This is certianly not a problem with the kids it's an adult problem! These kids are still very young they are easier to please then people giving them credit for. There young they listen an learn everything we say and do around them they follow examples like little sponges! We give them good examples they will follow.

This is with out a doubt an adult problem. No one wants to be inconvinced anymore. It doesn't matter whats best! What matters is what's easiest! Or what makes the most money! Now I know the schools need money but suerley not at the cost of what we teach children.

LOL, I'm a little angery today! I went out yesterday to an office supply store here in town. So they have this sale going on (I'm sure to bring bussiness in) but anyway they have a list of school supplies that you can buy for a penny each ... like crayons you can buy 5 boxes for a penny each. You don't have to buy anything else but you can only buy a certian amount. So I had this idea I figured if we all go and buy the limit then we wouldn't spend more then a dollar and we would get a extra supplies for the classroom. Halfway through the year we always have to replace everything and at that point nothing will be on sale and we will all pay full price. Where as if we stock up now we'll be saved that later and the classroom would have extra supplies for the kids whose parents couldn't or didn't send in all their supplies. So I call all the parents and ask them while they are out this weekend if they would stop and pickup the list of supplies I gave them told them where to go and how little it would cost. Forgods sake it's less then a dollar! Half the parents said ok and wrote down the list of supplies, but the other half flat out said no! I don't have time ... that's not my responseabilty!! :rollseyes:

CYLON RAIDER
08-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Sorry if this has been covered already but What EXACTLY is the difference between pop tarts regular and organic ones???

Bodily fluids are ORGANIC people....thought of the day. :p

grace_ou
08-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Sorry if this has been covered already but What EXACTLY is the difference between pop tarts regular and organic ones???

Bodily fluids are ORGANIC people....thought of the day. :p

Honestly I have no idea!!! They cost more! So I'm gonna with price!! LMAO I know organic veggies and **** are just grown without chems an pest.

CYLON RAIDER
08-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Honestly I have no idea!!! They cost more! So I'm gonna with price!! LMAO

They'll probably figure it in with the school activity fees for the term. :p

grace_ou
09-01-2008, 12:25 PM
They'll probably figure it in with the school activity fees for the term. :p

That's our tax money at work!!

I don't know how who ever made this choice followed this train of thought!! Think about it someone somewhere actually made the choice to use poptarts instead of fruit! It's not like they are using poptarts in sub of a breakfast, it's being used in place of fruit. So the kids go through get cereal (generally full of sugar) milk and a poptart! The poptarts themselves have like 400 cals and what about 28 grams of sugar plus all the sugar in the cereal! That is just flat out a ****ty breakfast that does nothing but incourage obsiety and health problems... probally behavioral problems as well. And it still probally wouldn't bother me so much execpt the school constantly preaches a healthy breakfast and how important it is.. So on top of everything else this has to be teaching our children that this is a good breakfast!

grace_ou
10-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Hey we have a winner!! No more poptarts!! :D

They have offically been replaced with whole grain cereal bars!! It's better then poptarts anyway.