PDA

View Full Version : what the heck are you?

chodan9
08-03-2008, 07:52 AM
there was a discussion in a previous thread about use of the word bodybuilder, I know this has been done but I wanted to get a feel for the current crowd here in the 035.
I have become a more of a fitness enthusiast with an bent toward gaining muscle mass. never considered myself a bodybuilder except that I do bodybuilding workouts and am trying to maintain a bodybuilding diet.

GnomusMaximus
08-03-2008, 07:57 AM
The weightlifter thing fits the most.

chodan9
08-03-2008, 07:58 AM
I am a fan of strength sports.

cool
there is a poll option for you then :)

I may have left some options out due to ignorance but there is only 10 options per poll

OutOfStep
08-03-2008, 07:58 AM
I just want to get toned.

Whiskeyjack
08-03-2008, 08:01 AM
What about: I am a former competing bodybuilder/powerlifter who is keeping his hand in in a limited way and coaching others?

ArchAngel'73
08-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Competitive bodybuilding FTW!:)
-tested and polygraphed, the only way to go.

taf1968
08-03-2008, 08:14 AM
I'll put myself in the "WTF" category . . . not sure I really fit in any of the others. I'm not looking to ever do a comp and I don't think I fall under "enthusiast" or would be considered a bodybuilder by many.

I've been stocky all my life, with moments of being leaner or fatter. At this stage of my life I'm just working to get the bodyfat low and keep it that way . . . while working toward a more muscular & athletic overall physique. I have no desire to start packing on loads of muscle to try to compete and I guess I'm aiming more just to try to look as good as I can for the long haul.

wulf88
08-03-2008, 08:18 AM
you forgot one, "it is for the job" while I still do it because I love it.

Minotaur
08-03-2008, 08:23 AM
In before the "This is bodybuilding.com" ****storm starts. :p

Seriously, I voted I'm a fitness enthusiast trying to get bigger,stronger and leaner. That encompasses what I am and am not. I don't have the numbers to be a powerlifter, I don't have the physique to be a bodybuilder (yet). I do want to be bigger, stronger and leaner. I love the physiques of male gymnasts. In fact that's one of my favorite Summer Olympics events, along with the weightlifting.

Inthegrass
08-03-2008, 08:24 AM
I don't think any of them fit for me totally.

I'm definitely not a body builder. Way too skinny for that. lol

Definitely not fitness model material. That's another big lol!!

I'll just settle for competing against myself as well.

I love being fit. Last time I was at the doctors I had a resting heart rate that was equal to my age.

How about just a guy that likes to push himself to do things that most others can't? Someone that doesn't believe in age and loves to play and exceed in sports.

I've been a dumb jock my whole life. Why change now?

Capt_Lou
08-03-2008, 09:00 AM
I put that I am a body builder who does not compete. I won't make that decision until April of 2010.

paolo59
08-03-2008, 09:11 AM
I don't know, but in my minds eye you've got to be pretty big to consider yourself a bodybuilder, perhaps even compete on some level, or at least have the physique for it. I think most folks would fit in the fitness category, trying to get bigger and stronger. That's the category I'm in.

StressMonkey
08-03-2008, 09:16 AM
I don't know wtf I am.

I'm not a bodybuilder.

I don't think I can be called a fitness enthusiast if lifting weights is the only fitness activity I enjoy.

I don't think I've been lifting long enough to be able to call myself a weight lifter.

Whiskeyjack
08-03-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't know wtf I am.

I'm not a bodybuilder.

I don't think I can be called a fitness enthusiast if lifting weights is the only fitness activity I enjoy.

I don't think I've been lifting long enough to be able to call myself a weight lifter.

You are a bodybuilding enthusiast of the best order.

:)

IR45N
08-03-2008, 09:23 AM
I want:
Under construction; completion date pushed back due to poor workmanship, mismeasurments, material not delivered in a timely manner, changes in blueprints, sick days, accidents, acts of God....:D

4evernatural
08-03-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm a bodybuilder who doesn't compete................................yet.

Fifty+
08-03-2008, 09:34 AM
there was a discussion in a previous thread about use of the word bodybuilder, I know this has been done but I wanted to get a feel for the current crowd here in the 035.
I have become a more of a fitness enthusiast with an bent toward gaining muscle mass. never considered myself a bodybuilder except that I do bodybuilding workouts and am trying to maintain a bodybuilding diet.

what the heck are you?

Just an older kid with heavier toys....

bodyhard
08-03-2008, 09:53 AM
<------Bodybuilder, who hasn't competed as yet, but when he does will take the trophy, PERIOD.

gbg
08-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't like to categorize myself :D I just kick ass in the gym and want muscle growth and to improve....... always improve!!!

KDHunter
08-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Bodybuilding is a lifestyle, because someone does not compete, does not rule them out as a bodybuilder.

I guess i would be someone that is a bodybuilder training to compete in the future.

BuckSpin
08-03-2008, 10:37 AM
I want "the build" w/ the chiseled abs, the but not at the expense of a sad core or poor cardio.

I want it all....LOL

Tifflex
08-03-2008, 10:48 AM
<------Bodybuilder, who hasn't competed as yet, but when he does will take the trophy, PERIOD.

God be with the judges if you don't win:eek:;):p.

chodan9
08-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Bodybuilding is a lifestyle, because someone does not compete, does not rule them out as a bodybuilder.

I guess i would be someone that is a bodybuilder training to compete in the future.

true,
how many "golfers" do you know? and no one takes issue with that term.

chodan9
08-03-2008, 11:42 AM
you forgot one, "it is for the job" while I still do it because I love it.

didnt have enought room, although that might fit under "athletic endeavor" depending on the job.
What is your job btw?

rockeo
08-03-2008, 12:32 PM
never thought about it, but i guess i am a fitness enthusiast just trying to get bigger and leaner- and with that just staying healthy + it keeps me out of trouble, lol . now that i am pounding the weights i wouldnt have it any other way ;-) .

Sluggeaux
08-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't like to categorize myself :D I just kick ass in the gym and want muscle growth and to improve....... always improve!!!

+1 I started out mostly for narcissistic reasons, but have somehow become addicted, and it's mainly challenging myself to lift heavier, and push to build larger. Although narcissism is still a driving factor.

bodyhard
08-03-2008, 12:46 PM
God be with the judges if you don't win:eek:;):p.

LMFAO!! props

LORIELEW
08-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Well, I am finally a bodybuilder who competes! For years I was a bodybuilder who didnt compete because I never thought I was big enough and I didnt know how to get ripped without losing muscle and just ending up skinny! At the age of 52 I decided, now or never, and got a trainer and set a goal and did it. I will keep on trying to get bigger and more ripped and do more shows.
I really started out training for my health, but got hooked on muscle and the awesome feeling of being strong!

Tifflex
08-03-2008, 01:03 PM
LMFAO!! props

:D:D.
To answer the question, I am a bodybuilder who will compete in Fall 2009.

ntrllftr
08-03-2008, 01:13 PM
It would be cool if the poll results had the user names on it as well.
It does give some perspective as to what kind of mix we have on this board.

I voted: I'm a "continuing & improving" bodybuilder who competes

I did start off as a powerlifter but I like the look of a bodybuilder better.
If things don't go that well in my next couple shows, I may start competitive powerlifting again.

Karl_Hungus
08-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I don't think I really fit the options listed.

I'm not really interested in bodybuilding -- I like powerlifting, but I'm not really overly concerned with just the big 3. My goals are simply to get as strong as I can (without getting fat).

BrotherWolf
08-03-2008, 01:26 PM
missing one option
"I wanna feel pretty"

and who doesn't?

Stevelegh
08-03-2008, 01:39 PM
I am an ex:

Borderline alcoholic depressive with a failing marriage and will facing a huge alimony bill along with handing over a house and all my possessions and children to a woman I was starting to dispise.

I made a deal to give things another go and laid down some conditions for some 'me' time.

I could've as easily picked chess club.

Upshot was the endorphine rush you get from lifting.

I'm now happily married to a **** hot woman and live exceedingly happily with her and my wonderful kids who I miss even when I go to work for 8 hours.

No, I am not a 'bodybuilder' or even as consistent as I'd like, but I've learnt more about my body since I started and I'm learning and applying good sense and discipline to myself.

I can't stop lifting as I know the black hole that will await me.

Give me a choice between my life and an Olympia win, I'll stay where I am thanks....

NotTooLate
08-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't know how to answer this. I lift for size AND strength. I think I eat and train like someone serious about going into competition eventually but I don't know if I ever will because I have loose skin issues. I'm also an old broad ;) I do however, work towards that goal just in case it ever happens. I consider myself a bodybuilder because I train like one and if I get the chance I will compete. If not, I'll stay in training mode perpetually.

pict
08-03-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm sort of a semi-retired, banged up, HIghland Gamer....

I picked plain old weight lifter, I guess it fit me the best.

Bo_Flecks
08-03-2008, 04:31 PM
This option pretty much hits the nail on the head for me: I'm a fitness enthusiast trying to get bigger,stronger and leaner.

BillyBatts
08-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't know WTF.

CYLON RAIDER
08-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I am undefineable.

IronCamp
08-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I put plain old weight lifter...been lifting weights for 10+ years, but never competed.

Do_Somethin
08-03-2008, 06:25 PM
I picked I'm a fitness enthusiast trying to get bigger,stronger and leaner.

missing one option
"I wanna feel pretty"

and who doesn't?

This one I own! :D

debandmikeb
08-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I guess where I fall in best would be the "Enthusiast Trying to get Leaner". I've only been going to the gym for eight months and even though I started forty (!) years too late, I'm trying to kick my butt. This site is helping me.

Thanks...

Mike

ps..only chose that because I didn't see the choice for "Regular Guy that wants to be able to take off his shirt in public. :)

IR45N
08-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I just discovered WTF & FTW combined make a good reason for lifting. A good sig too. :D

Khodiak
08-03-2008, 07:55 PM
I am a bear trapped in human form that loves to lift heavy objects, and on Sundays I eat pie.

grace_ou
08-03-2008, 08:35 PM
OMG there are to many choices!! Idk? :o

Isn't that funny..... cause everyone I know (that doesn't lift weights) think all bodybuilders are alike! LOL

oldsuperman
08-03-2008, 08:47 PM
For now.... I compete.

omnisjdi
08-03-2008, 08:52 PM
missing one option
"I wanna feel pretty"

and who doesn't?

x2
I just want a beach body for the first time in my life.
A six pack (not beer)

bodyhard
08-03-2008, 08:54 PM
For now.... I compete.

OS reps on the f'cking abs man wicked!!

oldsuperman
08-03-2008, 09:03 PM
OS reps on the f'cking abs man wicked!!

THX BH, yet since Nationals, I've taken 2 wks off and I've gained a whopping 20 pounds! Whoa! Bye bye six pack! LOL! Tomorrow I start training again for next year. 50 wks out and counting down! And so it goes! LOL!

bodyhard
08-03-2008, 09:14 PM
THX BH, yet since Nationals, I've taken 2 wks off and I've gained a whopping 20 pounds! Whoa! Bye bye six pack! LOL! Tomorrow I start training again for next year. 50 wks out and counting down! And so it goes! LOL!

Damn man that is what I call dedication, good luck.

How did you do in the nationals?

StressMonkey
08-03-2008, 11:33 PM
You are a bodybuilding enthusiast of the best order.

:)

Thanks! I like that answer.

Nick1971
08-04-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm an older man trying to become healthier, as well as bulk up a little bit. I've never had a muscular physique so I want to strive towards having one now that I'm a bit wiser and starting to feel the effects of a sedentary lifestyle.

paolo59
08-04-2008, 01:41 AM
I'm a bodybuilder who doesn't compete................................yet.

LOL You've got one of those physiques that does qualify!

GuyJin
08-04-2008, 02:07 AM
I picked plain old weight lifter because I'm not interested in competing, only seeing if I can get my butt into decent shape. My hat's off to Old Superman for his look--great abs!--and to anyone who DOES compete.

Bodyhard, when you DO compete, please leave your tire iron at home; some of the judges DO have to drive...

BergMuscle
08-04-2008, 07:25 AM
I lift weights and monitor my eating so that I can build bigger muscles. Therefore, I classify myself as a "bodybuilder". I've never competed and don't think that's something I'm likely to do, which makes me "bodybuilder who doesn't compete".

There's something about the word "enthusiast" that I don't like, at least to describe myself. I can't put my finger on it, so I'll just not use it, rather than risk making negative judgments.
I seriously have tons of respect for anyone who is actively working to be have a stronger, healthier body regardless of how they describe themselves. I just wish there were more people who could honestly use any of those descriptions.

bamaborn67
08-04-2008, 07:56 AM
x2... be careful BH you might get the same reply I did that I am not a bodybuilder because I haven't walked thru the fires of hell and entered my competition as of yet. But like you, when I do I will prevail!!!

bamaborn67
08-04-2008, 07:57 AM
You left off bodybuilder in training who wants to compete in the near future!

kimm4
08-04-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm a bodybuilder who competes. But I'm getting tired, so I'm thinking hang up the posing suits and just lift for me :)

Guinness42
08-04-2008, 08:11 AM
I guess I'm in the WTF category. I am working to be a bodybuilder but I don't think I have earned the right yet to call myself that. So I'm a wanna be bodybuilder.

Fitness enthusiast sounds too much like Richard Simmons for me. :D

bamaborn67
08-04-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm a bodybuilder who competes. But I'm getting tired, so I'm thinking hang up the posing suits and just lift for me :)
I hate to hear that. I am just starting and was hoping to get to meet you at a show soon!

eddied27
08-04-2008, 08:20 AM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/EDDIED27/PO453051-backJERZEES.jpg

:D

Marius_Ursus
08-04-2008, 08:37 AM
One day someone asked me, "What are your goals?"

I thought about that and decided that I wanted to be the greatest fighter in the world. Whether or not I ever am is immaterial as long as that's what I'm working toward. All my training is with that one thing in mind. As a side note, it brought up an issue with lovely spouse who was trying to understand why someone who was training to fight like Rocky Marciano or maybe Matt Hughes would be taking something called Anabolic Pump.

Dropping the fat will make me more maneuverable, and the little extra size will be a nice side effect.

So, I'm one of those guys with "To improve in a sport" marked in my profile.