PDA

View Full Version : Want to increase db bench press

Chriscl
07-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Kind of new to powerlifting, switched over from bodybuilding, wanna gain strength rather than muscle.

Wondering what i can do to increase my db bench, so far im doing 65's at 8 reps.
Will shoulder workouts help for press?

SecondSucks
07-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Are you using DB press as an accesory to regular BB bench pressing?

Edit: 5,000th post

bigred90
07-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Kind of new to powerlifting, switched over from bodybuilding, wanna gain strength rather than muscle.

Wondering what i can do to increase my db bench, so far im doing 65's at 8 reps.
Will shoulder workouts help for press?

if your new to powerlifting, then you'll need to understand this. You compete in the barbell squat, barbell bench, and the barbell deadlift. Therefore, you should be more concerned of increasing your barbell bench. But one of the best things to increase any lift is, TIME..just keep lifting away, they will increase

EinMassengrab.
07-04-2008, 09:19 PM
db benching has very little carryover to BB bench, so you should start bb benching if you want to powerlift. the best ways to increase BB bench are board presses and close grip bench in my opinion

VforVlad
07-04-2008, 09:38 PM
db benching has very little carryover to BB bench, so you should start bb benching if you want to powerlift. the best ways to increase BB bench are board presses and close grip bench in my opinion

i think it has alot of carryover, i switched to dumbells from a shoulder injury (while still on a bulk) DB bench went from 55 for 8 to 80 for 8 reps and my max bench went from 185 to 225...

CanadianMoose
07-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Here is how to do it..Eat like a mad man,eat ...5 six times a day,lots of protein..Start doing close grip presses..4 sets 3-6 reps(heavy)focus on the negatives.Find a weight you can barely budge for 3-6.Have a spotter for all lifts.
Bench press..4 sets 3-6 reps..heavy,again focus on the negs...Really feel the negs deep...Throw in one rep out set to failure with about half your heaviest weight for close press and flat bench.
In a few weeks you will be pushing bigger D-bells..

powerlifter70
07-04-2008, 09:46 PM
i think it has alot of carryover, i switched to dumbells from a shoulder injury (while still on a bulk) DB bench went from 55 for 8 to 80 for 8 reps and my max bench went from 185 to 225...

only works for newb's that cant bench much....You want to get a bigger bench then you have to train bench.

cjdelaney
07-04-2008, 11:53 PM

this has more to do witht the fact that you are 17 and whatever you do, DB or BB, is going to produce gains.