PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody recommend a sup for shoulder/joint pain/stiffness/inflammation?

SCguy
06-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I'll be 41 years old in two months. I've suffered from stiffness and sharp shoulder pain and joint stiffness for a few years (usually while benching...and after benching). I've seen a highly recommended orthopedic in my area and he's pretty much said........"years and years of heavy lifting has taken it's toll on your body........your joints/tendons are inflamed........stop what you're doing.....go light.......go slow.......and increase reps". After warming up I usually go up and do a few sets around 315.....and then singles and doubles up to 365....then come down for a few sets around 275. So, to be told to stay at or below 225 will mentally kill me.

Can anybody recommend a joint/cartilage supplement that has worked well for them? Obviously, I'm looking for something that will reduce the pain and lubricate my joints therefore reducing the stiffness/soreness/pain.

Thanks!

goddessamazon
06-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Last year I injured my left shoulder TWICE!

What saved me was glucosamine with chondrotin. I swear by this stuff.

Now that my shoulder has healed I don't take it anymore but I make sure to lift smarter so I don't injure it again.

FitIron
06-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I'll be 41 years old in two months. I've suffered from stiffness and sharp shoulder pain and joint stiffness for a few years (usually while benching...and after benching). I've seen a highly recommended orthopedic in my area and he's pretty much said........"years and years of heavy lifting has taken it's toll on your body........your joints/tendons are inflamed........stop what you're doing.....go light.......go slow.......and increase reps". After warming up I usually go up and do a few sets around 315.....and then singles and doubles up to 365....then come down for a few sets around 275. So, to be told to stay at or below 225 will mentally kill me.

Can anybody recommend a joint/cartilage supplement that has worked well for them? Obviously, I'm looking for something that will reduce the pain and lubricate my joints therefore reducing the stiffness/soreness/pain.

Thanks!

I suffer, ( did ) from the exact same thing. I also have an issue with my knee....

I use 2 supps that have helped me tons....

Primaforce Cissus
&
Animal Flex

TANK25
06-17-2008, 01:43 PM
I`M a big fan of Animal Flex.

Stenn
06-17-2008, 01:49 PM
I only started lifting when I was 40 and had already injured a shoulder while rock climbing. I've had near continuous trouble with my shoulders and elbows so that I've only recently benched my bodyweight. The main thing that got me this far is pretty much what your doctor recommended, high-rep sets. Every time I tried to increase the weight too fast, I'd screw up an elbow, shoulder, or both and have to go back to high-reps, wait for my joints to cool down, and start over again. It ain't fun, but it's what works.

I've also been taking glucosamine for the past month and that seems to help too. I've been able to push myself much harder than in the past, but the heavy weights still wear me down.

Dr Clay
06-17-2008, 01:53 PM
I absolutely love Elasti-Joint and even recommend it to patients. We've found it to work far better than drugstore glucosamine/chondroitin products.

Braindrop
06-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Animal Flex

GreenWave1
06-18-2008, 09:20 AM
I take Animal Flex and use Celadrin topically when needed. Both are available here.

FitIron
06-18-2008, 09:26 AM
I suffer, ( did ) from the exact same thing. I also have an issue with my knee....

I use 2 supps that have helped me tons....

Primaforce Cissus
&
Animal Flex

I`M a big fan of Animal Flex.

Animal Flex

I take Animal Flex and use Celadrin topically when needed. Both are available here.

For those other than myself and the above Animal Flex users......here the ingredient list....Excellent profile!

44 Packs
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Pack
Servings Per Container44

Amount Per Serving % DV

Calories 9
Calories From Fat 9
Total Fat 1g <2%**
Vitamin C(as Ascorbic Acid) 100mg 167%
Vitamin E(as D-Alpha Tocopherol) 100mg 333%
Zinc(as Zinc Picolinate) 15mg 100%
Selenium(as Sodium Selenate) 70mcg 100%
Manganese(as Manganese Sulfate) 1mg 50%

Joint Construction Complex 3000mg *
Glucosamine (As HCL, Sulfate KCI) *
Methylsulfonymethane (MSM) *
Chondroitin Sulfate A (CSA) *
Chondroitin Sulfate B (CSB) *

Joint Lubrication Complex 1000mg *
Flaxseed Oil (50% Alpha Linolenic Acid) *
Cetyl Myristoleate Proprietary Blend (Cetyl Myristoleaste*, Cetyl Myristate*, Cetyl Palmitate*, Cetyl Laurate*, Cetyl Palmitoleate*, Cetyl Oleate*)

Hyaluronic Acid *

Joint Support Complex 1000mg *
Ginger Root Extract (Gingerols, Shogaols) *
Turmeric Extract (Curcumin) *
Boswellia (Boswellic Acid) *
Quercetin *
Bromelain *

* Daily Value (DV) not established
** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Other Ingredients
Di-Calcium Phosphate, Whey Protein (Milk), Shark Cartilage, Carob, Gelatin, Glycerine, Soy Bean Oil, Purified Water, Magnesium Stearate, Stearic Acid

Contains Shellfish.

bodyhard
06-18-2008, 09:44 AM
I never suffered from any joint pains but after I crushed my pelvis in a car accident I started feeling alot of pain in my hips/pelvis after I recovered.

I started using Animal Flex and while the pain is not completely gone it has improved significantly.

stubutts
06-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Haven't had any shoulder pain in a year, and I used to feel that sharp pain every couple of weeks.

Richie
06-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Ginger in any form you can get it. I hate the taste of it but it defintley holding me together. Very, very underestimated.

Also been using Coral Calcium before bed.

Richie

KimberleyRN
06-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Last year I injured my left shoulder TWICE!

What saved me was glucosamine with chondrotin. I swear by this stuff.

Now that my shoulder has healed I don't take it anymore but I make sure to lift smarter so I don't injure it again.

Okay, I was going to suggest Bromelain along with Glucosamine/Chondroitin... but I see that the Animal Flex has it ALL in there.

Looks like good stuff to me!

I will be getting Animal Flex next time we buy supps!

Where is the best (most cost efficient) place to get it?

Tishalicious
06-23-2008, 10:26 PM
I've got some annoying arthritis in my left hand and wrist - do the Animal Flex people think this is worth trying to help with that?

CanadianMoose
06-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Lakota muscle rub,i swear it has some secret ingredient that cures! Had horrible elbow pains for two weeks,till someone suggested this stuff,and in three days i barely feel a thing in my elbow..amazing stuff!

m1k3g0rd
06-24-2008, 05:02 AM
I agree with the above post regrading the use of ginger. I drink at least one cup of home made ginger tea (chopped fresh ginger boiled in water) everyday and that along with Hyaluronic acid had made a big difference in the soreness I used to get in my knees.