PDA

View Full Version : Ric Flair is a wrestling God

thegamecdr
03-17-2003, 08:00 PM
I didn't grow up with Flair and the NWA/WCW. I grew up later, with Hogan and the WWF. It's just recently (last few years), that I've been hunting down some old matches, and from what I've seen, Ric Flair is a friggin wrestling God.

From Steamboat to Sting, Rhodes to Garvin, Flair's matches show up most everything the WWF/E has put on in the last five years (with some obvious major exceptions, I'm just talking generally).

His matches personify wrestling psychology, and although they're not chock full of high-spots and crazy stunts, they never leave you bored, and for the most part, they always leave you on the edge of your seat.

So, if anyone who grew up with or has seen a lot of Slick Ric could offer me what some of his greatest matches are, I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking of ordering a best of Ric Flair VHS, but I'ma get one of the ones where you decide what matches are on it. So if you'd be so kind...

alexwwe
03-17-2003, 08:35 PM
agreed, great post

devl
03-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by thegamecdr
I didn't grow up with Flair and the NWA/WCW. I grew up later, with Hogan and the WWF. It's just recently (last few years), that I've been hunting down some old matches, and from what I've seen, Ric Flair is a friggin wrestling God.

From Steamboat to Sting, Rhodes to Garvin, Flair's matches show up most everything the WWF/E has put on in the last five years (with some obvious major exceptions, I'm just talking generally).

His matches personify wrestling psychology, and although they're not chock full of high-spots and crazy stunts, they never leave you bored, and for the most part, they always leave you on the edge of your seat.

So, if anyone who grew up with or has seen a lot of Slick Ric could offer me what some of his greatest matches are, I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking of ordering a best of Ric Flair VHS, but I'ma get one of the ones where you decide what matches are on it. So if you'd be so kind...

Out of curiousity where are you thinking of ordering from? I could tell you whether they're good or not based on the fact I order from so many.

As for your post very good. Ric Flair was great in the day. The broomstick theory use to apply to his matches in the sense that he could carry anyone to a three star match, the question was just how far past three stars could he carry them.

Anyhow for his matches here would be a few.

Ric Flair vs Terry Funk Great American Bash'89
Ric Flair vs Terry Funk "I quit" match New York Knockout
Ric Flair vs Kerry Von Erich, Von Erich wins nwa title
Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat Chi Town Rumble
Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat wrestle war '89
Ric Flair vs Sting Clash of the champions 1
Ric Flair vs Curt Hennig "Loser leaves town"
Ric Flair vs Barry whindam (this was back in '86 on worldwide wrestling. They wen't broadway in this match if I remember correctly)
Ric Flair vs Bret Hart "ironman match" (this is from a fan-cam back in '92

There are a lot more but I would be up all night writing this. Its nice to see you getting into great workers like Ric Flair and the guys from japan. The only way to become one yourself is to study some of the best in the world. I spent years studying some of the greats and it paid off for me just like it will for you 2.

thegamecdr
03-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by devl
Ric Flair vs Sting Clash of the champions 1

I just finished watching this, and I'm speechless. Absolutely fantastic match.

Just curious, because I have seen one Flair v Steamboat match. It ended with Steamboat missing a cross-body, Flair going to strap on the figure-four, and Steamboat catching him with an inside cradle for the win. Is that one of the two you listed?

Oh, and wrestleholicsvideos.com is where I've been browsing now, but I've only begun to look around before I purchase anything. What are some reputable sites you've ordered from?

devl
03-17-2003, 11:33 PM

Just curious, because I have seen one Flair v Steamboat match. It ended with Steamboat missing a cross-body, Flair going to strap on the figure-four, and Steamboat catching him with an inside cradle for the win. Is that one of the two you listed?

Oh, and wrestleholicsvideos.com is where I've been browsing now, but I've only begun to look around before I purchase anything. What are some reputable sites you've ordered from?

That would be Flair vs Steamboat chi town rumble '89.

The best place for tapes by far is wrestletapes.net

Matt does GREAT work and has super fast service.

WHAT?
03-18-2003, 12:09 PM

Wrestleholics is top notch, Alfredo does quality work and his 3 tape Flair set more less covers all his important 80's matches.

devl
03-18-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by WHAT?
Wrestleholics is top notch, Alfredo does quality work and his 3 tape Flair set more less covers all his important 80's matches.

I've never delt with them. How fast is the service?

WHAT?
03-18-2003, 06:13 PM
1 week to Canada with a CC usually.

RESPECT
03-20-2003, 10:00 AM
I am not sure if they ever wrestle each other. Maginum T.A. vs. Ric Flair. If they never wrestle then they should have.

Maybe a Nikkia Kovolf (sp?) vs. Ric Flair.

Not sure if any of these ever happen but they would be a great match.

devl
03-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by RESPECT
I am not sure if they ever wrestle each other. Maginum T.A. vs. Ric Flair. If they never wrestle then they should have.

Maybe a Nikkia Kovolf (sp?) vs. Ric Flair.

Not sure if any of these ever happen but they would be a great match.

Yeah, TA and Flair wrestled.

Infact before the car accident, TA vs Flair was suppose to be the main event for starcade '86 according to plans.