PDA

View Full Version : Lifting to develop Power

losidan
06-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi,

I have been doing some lifting exercises to complement my cardio work for a while.

I want to now lift to develop my leg and arm power for BMX racing. Currently I do sets of ten reps on each exercise quite slowly focusing on my form during the exercise. I was wondering if doing three sets of 10 of each exercise is the best way? Would doing 5 sets of 5 with higher weights be more beneficial?
In short I need to develop my strength in my arms but importantly, explosive power in my legs.

Any help is much appreciated
Dan

jgood
06-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Strength is generally developed quickest in the 4-6 rep range. Also when lifting you want to lift as fast as possible while in control and good form not slow especially since most sports are fast paced. If you train slow your reactions and strength will be slow just so you know. The rep scheme 3x10 is generally for bodybuilding because of the size it gets you (can be included in any training but for sports its not 100% of the workout). There are many different types of training you can do. A thing called periodization can be used. This is where you train say the first 5 weeks with 4x10 and then lower it down and down and down every few weeks till you are down to say like 5 sets of 3 reps. Lots of people do use this method even though there are other ways. This workout called WestSide 4 Skinny Bastards uses a periodization called Conjugated I believe. Basically that way trains for strength and size (one day max effort upperbody, one day repitition upperbody and one lowerbody max effort). If alls you are concerned with is strength you can do a 5x5 program those seem to get strength up pretty well. Make sure whatever program you do that you use compound lifts (work lots of muscles at once) and then you can do isolation ones to help those too. You don't want a workout with only isolation movements.