PDA

View Full Version : WW Flour as PWO Carbs?

soundcheck129
06-04-2008, 11:16 AM
While I was mixing up the batter for bread a few days ago, I started to wonder why people don't use Whole Wheat Flour as their PWO carbs. It has a low GI like oatmeal and mixes well with whey and water. Has anyone ever tried this? Just throwing it out there.

chrystal19
06-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Don't post WO carbs need to be high GI?

Dave P
06-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Don't post WO carbs need to be high GI?

Overrated

chrystal19
06-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Overrated

So do you recommend Low GI Carbs PWO like, say, Wholewheat flour perhaps?

soundcheck129
06-04-2008, 12:03 PM
A lot of people, myself included, use oats.

chrystal19
06-04-2008, 12:08 PM
A lot of people, myself included, use oats.

Yeah I was just humouring the guy who left a one-word answer.

How come a Low GI carb source? Wouldn't a insulin spiking source be better so that it can shuttle your protein, creatine etc into your blood and to your muscles?

I've heard of many people using oats PWO though, but just fail to understand.

soundcheck129
06-04-2008, 12:12 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=11356062&postcount=3088

chrystal19
06-04-2008, 12:21 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=11356062&postcount=3088

Read it. Wish he'd explain why though.

AsianInvasion1
06-04-2008, 12:42 PM
I personally do a High GI carbs (Banana, cream of rice) HGI expedites digestion, which in turn increases insulin, which insulin-infused carbs help drive amino acids into muscle tissue..Doing that would ward off muscle breakdown and increase metabolism.
I personally do not like oats post-wo not only because it is LGI and contains alot of fiber whch slows down digestion, I would much rather do Brown rice Pwo than oats..Buts that my body and this routine works me me, you just got to experiment and see what works for you.

AsianInvasion1
06-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Oh yeah soundcheck129 that bread recipe is unbelievable!..

chrystal19
06-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I personally do a High GI carbs (Banana, cream of rice) HGI expedites digestion, which in turn increases insulin, which insulin-infused carbs help drive amino acids into muscle tissue..Doing that would ward off muscle breakdown and increase metabolism.
I personally do not like oats post-wo not only because it is LGI and contains alot of fiber whch slows down digestion, I would much rather do Brown rice Pwo than oats..Buts that my body and this routine works me me, you just got to experiment and see what works for you.

Yea I agree. I used dextrose, then 90 mins later have oats then or another Low GI carb source with my other macros.

soundcheck129
06-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah soundcheck129 that bread recipe is unbelievable!..

Awesome, I'm glad you liked it.

Dave P
06-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Yeah I was just humouring the guy who left a one-word answer.

How come a Low GI carb source? Wouldn't a insulin spiking source be better so that it can shuttle your protein, creatine etc into your blood and to your muscles?

I've heard of many people using oats PWO though, but just fail to understand.

Short Answer? Yea.

Long Answer? Depends on what you're trianing for. Endurance athletes that do 2 a days and have to compete the next day etc are the only people I'd reccomend High GI carbs to.

The main reasons you want carbs PWO are 1) to replenish glycogen and 2) blunt cortisol. Both of these are expidited with insulin being present.

The thing is that Whey by itself has been shown to have enough of an insulin effect to blunt cortisol on its own and for a Bodybuilder a solid diet means your glycogen should be fully replenished by your next workout.

Its just unneccesasary to play with insulin levels so much in my opinion.

The cool thing about complex carbs PWO like oats is that at least they have micronutrient density, fiber, etc. Unlike sugars which lack any real nutritional profile.

(Yes these are opinions and yes you can argue all these points)

djansen
06-04-2008, 01:40 PM
While I was mixing up the batter for bread a few days ago, I started to wonder why people don't use Whole Wheat Flour as their PWO carbs. It has a low GI like oatmeal and mixes well with whey and water. Has anyone ever tried this? Just throwing it out there.

I use some buckwheat flour pwo, its more nutritious than wheat and makes shake nice and thick.

Dave P
06-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I use some buckwheat flour pwo, its more nutritious than wheat and makes shake nice and thick.

True Protein also makes custom blends with Whole Wheat Brown Rice Flour.

You can add however much you want to your protein so it comes all pre-mixed.

djansen
06-04-2008, 01:45 PM
True Protein also makes custom blends with Whole Wheat Brown Rice Flour.

You can add however much you want to your protein so it comes all pre-mixed.

yeah, they have oat starch too. I just dont feel right ordering oat, wheat, or brown rice flour from a supp company and paying shipping. I hear it mixes pretty well though.

Dave P
06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
I have a 10% discount code if you ever need it. Pretty much handles shipping.

djansen
06-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I have a 10% discount code if you ever need it. Pretty much handles shipping.

I might hit you up on that lol, reps.

are you on the TP forums?

Dave P
06-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I used to be...havent used it in forever.

I do get all my powders from them though. Creatine/BCAA's/Single AA's/Protein Blends the list goes on.

djansen
06-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I used to be...havent used it in forever.

I do get all my powders from them though. Creatine/BCAA's/Single AA's/Protein Blends the list goes on.

cool, you should check it out. they got some info on new products and flavors coming out.

chrystal19
06-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Short Answer? Yea.

Long Answer? Depends on what you're trianing for. Endurance athletes that do 2 a days and have to compete the next day etc are the only people I'd reccomend High GI carbs to.

The main reasons you want carbs PWO are 1) to replenish glycogen and 2) blunt cortisol. Both of these are expidited with insulin being present.

The thing is that Whey by itself has been shown to have enough of an insulin effect to blunt cortisol on its own and for a Bodybuilder a solid diet means your glycogen should be fully replenished by your next workout.

Its just unneccesasary to play with insulin levels so much in my opinion.

The cool thing about complex carbs PWO like oats is that at least they have micronutrient density, fiber, etc. Unlike sugars which lack any real nutritional profile.

(Yes these are opinions and yes you can argue all these points)

Yeah I don't blame you, oats are always going to beat sugar hands down. For me though I do an hour's run on my off days, and cardio after my weights, and ride to work on a push bike so I feel I must make sure I am fully recovered without any doubt to ensure my WT efforts aren't undermined by all that cardio. If I didn't run so much I'd probably do what you do to be honest.