PDA

View Full Version : upper back/neck pain - therapy?

goldfinger81
05-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Was doing reverse pec deck flys and I felt a little tweak to the left of my right shoulder blade. Being the stubborn person I am, I shrugged it off and went on to a set of pull ups. Since then I've had pretty severe pain running from the left of my right shoulder blade up the back of my neck. Getting out of bed the next day was nearly impossible.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I messed up? How do you rehab an injury like this? Besides resting (obviously), I don't really know what else to do. Please help! Thanks.

mike79
05-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Was doing reverse pec deck flys and I felt a little tweak to the left of my right shoulder blade. Being the stubborn person I am, I shrugged it off and went on to a set of pull ups. Since then I've had pretty severe pain running from the left of my right shoulder blade up the back of my neck. Getting out of bed the next day was nearly impossible.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I messed up? How do you rehab an injury like this? Besides resting (obviously), I don't really know what else to do. Please help! Thanks.

I have had a very similar pain from what you described in the past. Most likely your lower trap is weaker than you think, leading to the pain in the area you mentioned (shoulder, to back and side of your neck)

"Supermans" and rope pulls to your face worked wonders for me to strengthen that area. Go very light at first, and slowly build your way up.

gimpy835
05-26-2008, 11:35 AM
take it easy with the weight when your working out for a week or so, make sure to stretch and give yourself some time to recover.

goldfinger81
05-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the advice. Once everything feels better I'm going to try incorporating face pulls. Is there anything I can do to speed up recovery? I hate not being able to keep to my normal workout schedule...