PDA

View Full Version : NASM certification

kingarty
05-21-2008, 05:27 PM
So im doing NASM and was wondering exactly how hard the test is and what type of questions you need to know

ny58
05-21-2008, 05:57 PM
this is my take on the test:
all multiple choice. . . and the first few chapters are the hardest, but as u read on it all comes together and starts to make sense. . the test wasn't to bad. . a lot of questions like this: .. if a clients knees are turned in during a squat assessment what should u do. . and the options would be different muscles to strengthen (so know that chart that shows under and overactive muscles for assessments on page 123 in text book). . that entire section is important also know how to stretch them or correct these movements with exercises. . ie if there is an excessive lean forward during the squat assessment. . u should know that a stabilty ball wall squat is a corrective exercise . .. . . some of it was common sense. . .at least 3 or 4 questions on the planes of motion. . ie A biceps curl is performed in what plane of motion (sagittal). . or a cable rotation is performed in what plane of motion? (transverse). . make sure u understand all the info. . dont just memorize. . for instance in the book it repeats a bunch of times that an average adult needs 96 ounces of water a day, but then on the test they ask it in quarts. . just to try and throw u off. .stupid little things like that. . overall it's a fair test . .i went to one of the workshops 5 days before i took the test and it def helped. .oh yeah they will give u an exercise and ask u what type it is. . ie a balance strength, stability power ect.. so know the OPT model

scottymac710
05-21-2008, 06:11 PM
i dont mean to thread-jack but how does the ACE and/or ISSA compare as far as types of questions?

ny58
05-21-2008, 06:16 PM
i dont mean to thread-jack but how does the ACE and/or ISSA compare as far as types of questions?

not really sure, but ISSA is an open book online test .. so u can pass that. . ace im not sure prob similar science questions but they probably have their own model that is different than NASM's OPT model. .

kingarty
05-21-2008, 09:51 PM
this is my take on the test:
all multiple choice. . . and the first few chapters are the hardest, but as u read on it all comes together and starts to make sense. . the test wasn't to bad. . a lot of questions like this: .. if a clients knees are turned in during a squat assessment what should u do. . and the options would be different muscles to strengthen (so know that chart that shows under and overactive muscles for assessments on page 123 in text book). . that entire section is important also know how to stretch them or correct these movements with exercises. . ie if there is an excessive lean forward during the squat assessment. . u should know that a stabilty ball wall squat is a corrective exercise . .. . . some of it was common sense. . .at least 3 or 4 questions on the planes of motion. . ie A biceps curl is performed in what plane of motion (sagittal). . or a cable rotation is performed in what plane of motion? (transverse). . make sure u understand all the info. . dont just memorize. . for instance in the book it repeats a bunch of times that an average adult needs 96 ounces of water a day, but then on the test they ask it in quarts. . just to try and throw u off. .stupid little things like that. . overall it's a fair test . .i went to one of the workshops 5 days before i took the test and it def helped. .oh yeah they will give u an exercise and ask u what type it is. . ie a balance strength, stability power ect.. so know the OPT model

I figured that....thanks for the help dude. I really appreciate it