PDA

View Full Version : Sodium question

TestosteronePL
05-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Most guys tell me to stay away from sodium during my contest week. However the following article tells me that i should take in decent amounts of sodium during the first 4 days and then the following 3 to completely get rid of it (http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/precontestweek.php)

(discuss)

TestosteronePL
05-20-2008, 08:26 PM
to make it easier you guys could skip to the "appendix" part and read that...

Sporto1633
05-21-2008, 07:03 AM
You do not want to cut sodium completely out. Your body will compensate very quickly by stopping excretion and reabsorb it from the blood stream to maintain levels. Aldosterone will soon follow, and then you've managed to make yourself look much worse.

If anything, slightly raise sodium, then slightly lower it, but don't cut it out. Youo can't "trick" your body - it's much smarter than you. But, you CAN give it a little nudge :D

Sporto

cmamath13
05-21-2008, 08:20 AM
You do not want to cut sodium completely out.
If anything, slightly raise sodium, then slightly lower it, but don't cut it out. Youo can't "trick" your body - it's much smarter than you. But, you CAN give it a little nudge :D

Sporto

Could you be a little more explicit Sporto? I am curious. How many days do you add salt and then how many days to you return to nothing added.

Thanks.

TestosteronePL
05-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Could you be a little more explicit Sporto? I am curious. How many days do you add salt and then how many days to you return to nothing added.

Thanks.

according to the article i mentioned before its 4 days of carb depletion (this is when you have the sodium) and the following 3 days are carbing up and no sodium.

scoobysnacks
05-21-2008, 02:03 PM
My protocol is to add 1/4 tsp of sea salt to EVERY meal pre contest (and even offseason to keep cell wet). That way come monday of final week I drop sea salt and condiments. But, I keep foods like eggs in and whatever salt is in my foods. On Weds Ill drop the eggs, and just eat foods like white potato, sweet potato, rice cakes and protein to a lesser amount as Im eating carbs every hour on the hour.........this has worked very well for me in the past...

Ss

Snowy91
05-21-2008, 08:20 PM
You do not want to cut sodium completely out. Your body will compensate very quickly by stopping excretion and reabsorb it from the blood stream to maintain levels. Aldosterone will soon follow, and then you've managed to make yourself look much worse.

Sporto

According to the cutdiet, it instructs to salt all your meals from Sunday up untill 6pm Wednesday than salt nothing. Is that slight enough to not cause a major imbalance? It says 10-12 shakes of salt but I would settle for 3 or 4 to not get out of hand.

cmamath13
05-22-2008, 01:54 AM
Ok. That makes sense. Thanks!