PDA

View Full Version : eating clean and taking protein critique my daily routine please :)

maximus99
05-02-2008, 06:33 AM
What's your daily "clean" diet? And what would you recommend for a protein shake, fish oil and supplements?

here's what my diet has consisted of for the most part ( i say for the most part because I have gone bad a couple times, especially last night. I had a slice of pepperoni pizza and some fries. while at the mall. i was really hungry lol)

430am go to work, have a banana.

700am
head to cafeteria at work and order 2 sunnyside up eggs and 1 sausage patty.
1 20oz cup of water.

900am workout (rippletoe m-w-f, cardio 30minutes t-th)

right after workout, eat chicken breast on whole wheat with lettuce.

1100 am lunch time, eat a salad.

200pm eat apple or orange or banana.

500pm eat dinner. so far it's been steaks, (but last night we made a filipino dish called sinigang with baby back ribs.) or chicken, or salmon.

1000pm bedtime

ironwill2008
05-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Hello! I'll cut to the chase. If you're doing Rippetoe, or any weight training, you're not eating nearly enough calories, and not even in the ball park for enough protein. I'd suggest you go back to the FAQ section on nutrition, in the Rippetoe's Starting Strength thread, and re-read it (it's in the "workout programs" forum). We need to get your calorie and protein intake up to par, and then worry about the details. Do some reading, then you'll be better-equipped to ask more detailed questions. Hope this helps; good luck.

SportPharmaRep
05-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Hello! I'll cut to the chase. If you're doing Rippetoe, or any weight training, you're not eating nearly enough calories, and not even in the ball park for enough protein. I'd suggest you go back to the FAQ section on nutrition, in the Rippetoe's Starting Strength thread, and re-read it (it's in the "workout programs" forum). We need to get your calorie and protein intake up to par, and then worry about the details. Do some reading, then you'll be better-equipped to ask more detailed questions. Hope this helps; good luck.

Agreed with the protein intake and getting up the calories. If you're too calorie deficient, the body is less effective at burning off fat and adding lean muscle. First thing would be to up the protein so that you have some with each meal.

maximus99
05-02-2008, 07:34 AM

Thanks! I'll take a look at the suggested reading once again.

ectoBgone
05-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Not sure what your goals are, but I agree with ironwill that you basically need to overhaul this thing. Just as an example, here's my diet today suited for making lean gains:

6:00am
3/4 cup egg whites
3/4 bowl Kasi multi-grain cereal
1 banana

7:30am - 9:00am workout

9:00am
ON Pro-Complex Gainer (60g protein, 650 calories)
5g creatine

10:00am
1 cup non-fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup dry oats
1 multivitamin

12:30pm
6 oz. salmon on whole grain bread
1 big salad with lots of greens

2:30pm
1/2 cup almonds
1 cup beef stew

4:30pm
6 oz steak
1/2 cup pasta
grapes

6:30pm
Dinner (varies, but I supplement protein, fats as necessary)
5 g creatine

9:00pm

Now, if you need to lean out a bit, your diet will look a bit different and probably consist of fewer carbs, but I'm posting this to just give you an idea of the difference.

maximus99
05-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Not sure what your goals are, but I agree with ironwill that you basically need to overhaul this thing. Just as an example, here's my diet today suited for making lean gains:

6:00am
3/4 cup egg whites
3/4 bowl Kasi multi-grain cereal
1 banana

7:30am - 9:00am workout

9:00am
5g creatine

10:00am
1 cup non-fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup dry oats
1 multivitamin

12:30pm
6 oz. salmon on whole grain bread
1 big salad with lots of greens

2:30pm
1/2 cup almonds
1 cup beef stew

4:30pm
6 oz steak
1/2 cup pasta
grapes

6:30pm
Dinner (varies, but I supplement protein, fats as necessary)
5 g creatine

9:00pm

Now, if you need to lean out a bit, your diet will look a bit different and probably consist of fewer carbs, but I'm posting this to just give you an idea of the difference.

Oh my! I dunno if I can afford to eat like that LOL! Where'd you get your protein mix? And are your egg whites cooked or uncooked?

ectoBgone
05-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Oh my! I dunno if I can afford to eat like that LOL! Where'd you get your protein mix? And are your egg whites cooked or uncooked?

Ha, priorities man!

I got the gainer from this site. Good price, always good service. You might just want to get whey and not a gainer depending on your goals. ON 100% Gold is a widely recommended one. Try to get as much nutrition from real food as you can and use the shakes for supplementation or a quick post workout.

Egg whites we buy in a carton from the Supermarket. I don't like the egg beaters, so we just get 100% pure egg whites and I microwave them and sprinkle some bacon bits on them. I also eat hard boiled eggs too but mostly on the weekends. The whites are real convenient for me.

Good luck.

snorkelman
05-02-2008, 11:38 AM
basic rule I live by is to never eat carbs without a protein. Ideally you should eat carbs, protein, and healthy fats in every meal or snack. I don't believe in snacks. I have 6 small meals per day. The old type of thinking about eating a banana for a snack isn't going to do anything but give you an insulin rush (sugar spike and crash). Adding fiber and fats to meals slows down digestion and when you combine foods during meals you reduce the significance of the glycemic index (that explains why you can eat rice or potatoes and not get a huge spike/crash when you eat those high GI foods with other (low GI) foods.

SportPharmaRep
05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
basic rule I live by is to never eat carbs without a protein.

Good rule of thumb!

maximus99
05-07-2008, 08:52 AM
so i counted my calories for the first time yesterday,

total caloric intake was 1900

proteins 329
carbs 57 (Seems to me there's a need for balance here correct?)
fats 85.

spread over three meals and two snacks.

breakfat 4 eggs over easy + 2 bacon

brunch Protein shake

Lunch tritip sandwich on whole wheat multigrain roll

snack grapes

dinner (i know this is bad) popeye's fried chicked with mashed potatoes and gravy. (as soon as I tasted that gravy it was over.)

your thoughts on whether or nto i took in enough calories tday? i am trying to model my eating times and foods around what i saw ecto posted. not nearly there yet but i'm gonna get there soon.