PDA

View Full Version : Benching: bottom half is chest and shoulders and top half is more triceps right?

FROGGBUSTER
04-05-2008, 04:40 PM
my friend thinks it's the other way around.

am i right? thanks.

tatortotajigalo
04-05-2008, 04:47 PM
You are correct.

I dont work at Ballys
04-05-2008, 05:21 PM
while i will agree that the delts help more at the bottom when the chest is at a very stretched state and that the triceps will lock out the movement during the top, the EMG shows that activation is consistant throughout the whole movement.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/APATX/artilces/Variations_In_The_Bench_Press.html

"Do partial movements stimulate particular muscles better than full range movements? Perhaps some of the prime movers are used more during different phases of the lift. Elliot et al (1989) used an EMG to answer this question and reported that prime movers of the bench press (pectoralis major, anterior deltoid, triceps brachii) achieved maximal activation at the start of the concentric phase of the lift and maintained this level throughout the upward movement of the bar. So while many still use partials to selectively target specific muscles Hatfield contends, "Overloading the upper ranges of the movement may work, but training partial movements is for those who haven?t learned the secret of compensatory acceleration. "I agree with Hatfield," says Robinson. "I don?t use partial movements at all, I feel they increase you chances for injury."

obviously certain muscles are stronger at different ranges of motion due to their position in relation to the joint (longest moment arm) but it seems that stimulation of the fibers does not vary. :confused:

John Prophet
04-05-2008, 06:27 PM
id take all of the EMG stuff with a grain of salt. some of it really flies in the face of results from established practices.

and who did they EMG? a newb? a bb'er? powerlifter? pec presser? delt presser? tri presser?

test it for yourself. do 20 sets of db presses just doing the very bottom portion. do u get a chest pump or tri pump??

now do 20 sets of partial rack lockouts. do u get a chest pump or tri pump???

bottom is chest/delts...top is tris

ottorotvic
04-05-2008, 06:39 PM
The muscles involved are all contracting as hard as they can the entire time. At cetain points, their contractions are more or less efficient.

PrincessSparkle
04-05-2008, 06:40 PM
id take all of the EMG stuff with a grain of salt. some of it really flies in the face of results from established practices.

and who did they EMG? a newb? a bb'er? powerlifter? pec presser? delt presser? tri presser?

test it for yourself. do 20 sets of db presses just doing the very bottom portion. do u get a chest pump or tri pump??

now do 20 sets of partial rack lockouts. do u get a chest pump or tri pump???

bottom is chest/delts...top is tris

Yes, although the tri's are still of the uttermost importance to press big weights.

Code_B
04-05-2008, 07:34 PM
The muscles involved are all contracting as hard as they can the entire time. At cetain points, their contractions are more or less efficient.

this seems to make sense given what the EMG said.

Nitric Oxide
04-05-2008, 07:37 PM
bench with one arm and then use your other arm to grab your other tricep and see where it flexes....and then use that other arm to take a picture and then post it here

I dont work at Ballys
04-05-2008, 08:24 PM

thats essentially what it means. although the muscle may not be in its optimal force producing angle (longest moment arm) it is still working as hard as the other prime movers in the lift to get the weight up. it is, by nature, a compound lift. actually, most "iso's" are compound lifts to some extent...

f00t
04-05-2008, 08:31 PM
bottom is lats there doggy

nayrb182
04-06-2008, 01:02 AM
id say at the bottom my lats are equaly if not more important than pecs