PDA

View Full Version : Short and (not so) sweet TKD

NathanTurner
03-30-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm starting another short cutting phase of 4-5 weeks. Here is my rationale and what I'm doing lately: in my experience, my body seems to be much more anabolic between the 10-15% BF range; and with dieting, it seems to be much more efficient in short periods, as opposed to a long, drawn-out stretch; otherwise, LBM is lost. My strategy then is to gain quality weight at a slight caloric surplus (usually 50/30/20 c/p/f split on training days, 40/30/30 on non-training days), then begin a short cut when getting close to 15%..

Over the last couple months, I have went from 190 lbs at 14% to 210 lbs at the high end of 14%; therefore, a short cut is in order.

On my last dieting phase using keto, I went from 201 lbs at 16% to 190 lbs at 14%. over 2 months. Not very impressive; but when reviewing my notes, I noticed that the efficiency of the diet stalled out a bit after 4 weeks. The first 4 weeks, I went from 201 at 16% to 195 at approximately 13.6% BF, after which point I began to lose LBM. The efficiency of the first four weeks was surprising; a total of 6 lbs lost, 5.66 lbs of which was fat. Therefore, my current cut will be no longer than 5 weeks, my main goal being to lose 6-8 lbs during that time and maintain my strength.

Since my cut is so short, my caloric deficit will be pretty sharp; 2500 calories per day, and low intensity cardio burning 250 calories three days per week. I've estimated that I can easily drop 1.5 lbs per week, putting me between 6-8lbs of fat loss. My weight training will remain as it is; strength training focusing on compound movements using the 5x5 system, three days per week.

I will be consuming 60g carbs in the form of maltodextrin pre-workout on training days, with the total carb intake being 70g. On non-training days, I'm keeping it between 15-25g carbs in the form of tag-along carbs in eggs and green vegetables. Protein will be relatively constant at 195-200g per day.

I'm starting tomorrow, so I'll keep detailed entries on my progress on at least a weekly basis to keep myself focused.

Thus it begins (again.)

NathanTurner
03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
I began my TKD today, and so far all is well. I skipped the pre-workout carbs today, and tomorrow is a non-training day so that'll give my body two days to adapt as best it can before I introduce carbs. My workout went well; there was no noticeable strength loss. I'm contemplating whether or not switching to a higher intensity, lower volume schedule may be better while I'm on a carb-restricted diet. I think using a 3x3 with the basic compound movements (squat, bench, rows, deadlifts, etc) would better preserve strength, but I don't know if the reduced volume would negatively affect maintaining LBM. I'll probably stay with 5x5 unless my strength takes a drastic dive, which I doubt it will.

So far, so good.

NathanTurner
04-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Today, I'm down to 205 lbs-- from 212 yesterday. Significant water losses for one day, to say the least. My waist is relatively unchanged; it's 34 to 34 1/4 in.

My diet looks like this today:

Breakfast:

6 whole eggs
1oz Mozzarella cheese
1oz macadamia nuts

Lunch:

4 oz full fat hamburger
4 oz lean hamburger (93/7)

Dinner:

4 oz full fat hamburger
4 oz chicken breast

4th Meal:

6oz turkey burger
1oz Mozzarella cheese

5th Meal:

6 tablespoons whole cream
1 scoop whey concentrate

A total of 2500 calories, roughly 184g fat, 191g protein, and 16g carbs.

My supplementation is simple; I take a multivitamin, 3g vitamin C throughout the day, and an additional iron and B complex vitamin. I take GABA (4g) and my usual Melatonin (3mg) before bed. I'm taking caffeine, but nothing very serious; 200mg in the morning, and 100-200mg toward the afternoon when I'm doing cardio.

For my cardio, I'm walking 2.5 miles three times per week. On cardio days, I'm doing one 1.5 mi session, and another 1 mi session later that day for convenience.

NathanTurner
04-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Today's workout went alright; but I've noticed that my strength rapidly diminishes across multiple sets. I'm doing a 5x5 now; I think I'll cut it down to 3x3, and focus on the three major lifts (squat, bench, and deadlift). I'm contemplating doing a workout like:

Monday:

Squat, 2x3, 1x1 (max)
Bench: 3x3
Deadlift: 3x3
Bentover Row: 3x3

Wednesday:

Squat: 3x3
Bench: 2x3, 1x1 (max)
Deadlift: 3x3
Military Press: 3x3

Friday:

Squat: 3x3
Bench 3x3
Deadlift: 2x3, 1x1 (max)
Dips: 3x6

I put the bentover rows and military presses in because I've made decent progress in these, so I'd like to keep my strength up. I've included dips because they're a great compound upper body movement. I've put them on days where I don't feel they will interfere with my three main movements.

I also know maxing out each week is very taxing; but I only have three more weeks to go, and with the reduced volume I think I'll be fine.

My weight is down to 204lbs, from 212lbs. Mostly water at this point, but some fat as well.

My diet today looks like:

Breakfast:
6 whole eggs
1 oz Mozzarella
1 oz Pecans

Pre-training:
68g maltodextrin (60g carbs)

Post-training:
1 scoop whey protein mixed with water

Post-Training meal:
4oz full fat hamburger
4oz lean hamburger

Dinner:

4oz full fat hamburger
4oz chicken breast

Final meal:

6oz turkey burger
1oz Mozzarella

Around 2500 calories, 159g fat, 70g carbs and 194g protein.

I really hope I can maintain my strength; I'd hate to lose very much of those gains, since I've been training like hell for the last few months with a focus on strength. I'll just have to see how it goes and make modifications as needed. Two weeks in, I'd hate to have to start carb-loading each week; but if that's what I have to do to maintain a baseline of strength, I will.

NathanTurner
04-10-2008, 03:40 PM
I've switched to using a 3x3 system focusing on the three major lifts. I wouldn't say that my strength has diminished in that my 1RM for each movement is virtually unchanged. My endurance has definitely taken a dive, and keeping work sets in the 1-3 rep range definitely makes a difference.

Reviewing my logs that I keep, when I began my waist was 34.5 inches; it is now down to 34 inches. My weight hovers between 202-204, though it has been slow to change after the rapid (and transitory) weight loss of the first couple days. I'll give this another week or two before I start introducing carbs; until I've gotten my glycogen levels back to normal so I can see what my "normal" weight is, I won't have a very good idea about where my LBM stands.

Essentially, all I'm concerned about is maintaining my 1RM and LBM while losing the 3-5 lbs of fat I put on during my last gaining phase. Anything more is welcome, but is just extra. So far, it looks like I'm on track.