PDA

View Full Version : Whey question for BC

Logo
11-04-2001, 07:07 AM
I know you're the guy to look for when it comes to biochem so here goes. How much whey (in grams) would you say the body can actually utilize after an intense workout. I would figure, due to whey's nature, that they body could only handle about 25 grams which is a lot less than a lot of people are taking. I would figure that it's better to take a mix of something like 50 whey/ 50 casienate. What are your thoughts?

Big Cat
11-04-2001, 08:21 AM
After a workout, 30 grams easily if its in pure water. Add a slow digesting protein and it increases, add carbs and it increases even more. It all depends. My thoughts are indeed that, I fully stand by a mix of 50% whey and 50% casein. Its the ultimate fast/slow combo to promote long term recovery and improve nitrogen retention.

Antonio
11-04-2001, 11:43 AM
Hey big cat would it be a good idea to add to that postworkout combo malt,dextrose and some flax?

Big Cat
11-04-2001, 01:17 PM
Yes of course, the flax isn't imperative of course but an equal fast/slow mix of carbs is needed to repare and replenish glycogen reserves that were lost in your workout.

Logo
11-04-2001, 03:57 PM
I figured that caseinate would be good to throw in the mix because of its anabolic affect and the fact that it makes other proteins more digestible by keeping them in the intestines longer. For someone around 175lbs would 20grams/20grams be good for post-workout or should I increase this number? I usually take it pretty close together with an equal amount of carbs (usually grape juice). How long should I wait before or after my protein shake to take in my carbs? Thanks for your help Big Cat.

Big Cat
11-04-2001, 04:34 PM
Take them at the same time, the carbs facilitate the entry of amino acids into the cells.

Logo
11-04-2001, 08:22 PM
Thanks BigCat. I was thinking along the lines of taking in carbs 20-30 minutes after creatine becuase of the amount of time it takes creatine to reach the blood stream. I thought that the same thing might go for protein as well.

str8flexed
11-04-2001, 09:32 PM
It takes creatine time to get into the blood stream, but on the same token, do you think the carbs get into your system and release insulin immediately?
Peace

Big Cat
11-05-2001, 05:55 AM
Depends on the carbs. If you use high glycemic mon-sacharides, yes, since they don't require digestion. With other carbs its unlikely they would act that fast.

Logo
11-05-2001, 08:29 AM
I'm talking about high glycemic carbs like fructose. I'm taking it that high gly carbs won't act any faster than the whey. Is this correct? Thanks for helping me out BC.

AllenP
11-05-2001, 08:51 AM
would 35 grams of whey protein mixed with skim milk (250 ml) work? I follow it with an orange juice after about 5 minutes or as soon as i can(post workout). By the way, i usually mix about 35 grams of Whey Protein with skim milk. Do you think that i would be able to absorb everything or should i lessen the Whey protein to avoid wasting it?

Big Cat
11-05-2001, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Logo
I'm talking about high glycemic carbs like fructose. I'm taking it that high gly carbs won't act any faster than the whey. Is this correct? Thanks for helping me out BC.

That is correct, definitely if you use fast acting wheys like CFM, ion-exchange and definitely hydrolyzed.

Big Cat
11-05-2001, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by AllenP
would 35 grams of whey protein mixed with skim milk (250 ml) work? I follow it with an orange juice after about 5 minutes or as soon as i can(post workout). By the way, i usually mix about 35 grams of Whey Protein with skim milk. Do you think that i would be able to absorb everything or should i lessen the Whey protein to avoid wasting it?

No after a wrorkout you should be able to absorb that easily.